Dodge Challenger Question?

bignewt

The Scoffer Kid
Lab Rat
Hey all

looking to buy a new Challenger and it seems like most people think you have to get the V8 but a few say the V6 pretty much gets it done. Any thoughts?

looking at either the R/T, the SXT Plus or even the GT since it is AWD.

Hey all

looking to buy a new Challenger and it seems like most people think you have to get the V8 but a few say the V6 pretty much gets it done. Any thoughts?

looking at either the R/T, the SXT Plus or even the GT since it is AWD.
Depends how much power you want. The SXT with V6 runs about mid-high 14 second quarter mile . The 5.7 Liter R/T is about 1 second quicker. The Scat Pack is about a second quicker than that, and the Hellcat, another second or so quicker. The V6 is not a dog. It is just deficient in horsepower compared to the others.

The GT with the V6 would be great if you have some snow, and more surefooted in the rain. There are a couple of packages with the V6 that include a better handling suspension. Similar to the Track Pack.

Gotta get the V8. All challengers are extremely heavy, get the V8. I recommend the srt8 bc the rt isn't all that fast either. If you're wanting speed obviously

Get a SS camaro :)
You have a great car, but some folks prefer the comfort, ride, outward visibility, trunk space, rear seat room, and appearance, etc. of the Challenger. If you want a Challenger that will run with your car, you need the 485 or 707 horsepower engine.

The only problem with that much horsepower is that there is really nowhere to use it on public roads. You can do 100 mph in less than 10 seconds from a stop. The old saying is that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. If you want to accelerate hard from 40 to 80 mph, you don't get to stay on the throttle very long.

There are two time you see Dodges - going to the shop or coming from the shop

Good luck. You'll need it

Reactions: 3 people
U.S. News and World Report rates the Challenger reliability at 3 stars out of 5, which is average. They rate the Camaro at 3-1/2 stars out of 5, marginally better.

You have a great car, but some folks prefer the comfort, ride, outward visibility, trunk space, rear seat room, and appearance, etc. of the Challenger. If you want a Challenger that will run with your car, you need the 485 or 707 horsepower engine.

The only problem with that much horsepower is that there is really nowhere to use it on public roads. You can do 100 mph in less than 10 seconds from a stop. The old saying is that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. If you want to accelerate hard from 40 to 80 mph, you don't get to stay on the throttle very long.
I love the challengers. They're definitely more roomy too just too bulky for me. I didn't like the gen 5 camaros bc of the bulkyness

Put it like this, Dodge made a big push to get into the Police business as you see all over the country. They low bidded and alot of cities bought them. Now the fleet managers are regretting their pick. They are saying they are in the shop much, much more than their previous cars as well as getting worse gas mileage. Its costing more and getting less.

Good luck.

I love the challengers. They're definitely more roomy too just too bulky for me. I didn't like the gen 5 camaros bc of the bulkyness
I agree on a certain level. Your car is heavy and bulky, compared to a Porsche Cayman. A Cayman is bulky and heavy compared to an Alfa 4C.

I don't disagree with that, but it's still fast, maybe not quite as fast as yours, but close. Do you run yours flat out often?

I'm still kind of scared of mine. However I witnessed my grandfather go 0-60 in 4.1 seconds in my car. The car has a built in timer

I'm still kind of scared of mine. However I witnessed my grandfather go 0-60 in 4.1 seconds in my car. The car has a built in timer
I drove a couple of new Corvettes and they scared me at first. You will get accustomed to it. My point is that nobody needs that much power unless you race, and this is coming from a guy who loves fast cars. They are getting too fast for the street.

Reactions: 1 person
I drove a couple of new Corvettes and they scared me at first. You will get accustomed to it. My point is that nobody needs that much power unless you race, and this is coming from a guy who loves fast cars. They are getting too fast for the street.

I honestly didn't realize how fast mine is until my grandfather got behind the wheel

It's more than that with a V8, maybe 3,600+. The Alfa is 2,500, and the Cayman close to 3,000. Those cars run 0-60 in 3.6 to low 4's, depending on engine and trans.
I looked it up.
Camaro SS: 3,685
Porsche Cayman: 2,944
Alfa 4C: 2,465

VN Store

Back