Home siding question

Mac Boles

The Big Pickle
I need to install new siding on my house. Do I need to remove my old siding first or can it go over the old. I have researched a little on the web and I see where people do either. If I tear off what do I put back on under it? Tyvek and some rigid foam insulation etc?

I need to install new siding on my house. Do I need to remove my old siding first or can it go over the old. I have researched a little on the web and I see where people do either. If I tear off what do I put back on under it? Tyvek and some rigid foam insulation etc?

What is under it now? Is it vinyl siding on the house now?

It has masonite siding now. Installed back in the 80's

You can install it over it. I would tyvek wrap first to keep the masonite dry. If water gets trapped against it the masonite will deteriorate quickly. Some people would then add foam insulation board before going with vinyl and some don't. Your call there.

When installing the new vinyl manufacturers require to leave the nail heads out 1/32-inch. This allows the vinyl to float and move in hot and cold temperature changes. If you drive the nail tight heat could wrinkle your new siding. Make sure you flash good around doors and windows to keep water from going behind your siding.

Last edited:
You can install it over it. I would tyvek wrap first to keep the masonite dry. If water gets trapped against it the masonite will deteriorate quickly. Some people would then add foam insulation board before going with vinyl and some don't. Your call there.

When installing the new vinyl manufacturers require to leave the nail heads out 1/32-inch. This allows the vinyl to float and move in hot and cold temperature changes. If you drive the nail tight heat could wrinkle your new siding. Make sure you flash good around doors and windows to keep water from going behind your siding.

Goota make sure you remove any compromised masonite. No good covering up a wet sponge. IMO, there was never anything faulty with masonite. You just have to keep the joints caulked...and paint it. Hardie would be the best choice if you want to spend the extra $.

If it's not all rotted out putting new siding over old siding is preferred. Not only does it save a lot on removal and dumping but it adds more insulation to a home.

I don't know where you live but if you are thinking about adding some insulation I would remove what was there. Insulation won't sit on the old stuff well and those gaps make the insulation less effective. also with the added depth of your wall finish it might create issues at doors and windows. and lastly most manufactures of siding call out a certain nail size for the siding, if you have an extra layer in there it can cause issues, especially if you have bad winds or something. I would take it back to the sheathing, add tyvek and then put up whatever new stuff you want. jmo

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know where you live but if you are thinking about adding some insulation I would remove what was there. Insulation won't sit on the old stuff well and those gaps make the insulation less effective. also with the added depth of your wall finish it might create issues at doors and windows. and lastly most manufactures of siding call out a certain nail size for the siding, if you have an extra layer in there it can cause issues, especially if you have bad winds or something. I would take it back to the sheathing, add tyvek and then put up whatever new stuff you want. jmo
Even with a masonite deep profile cut the flat surfaces are plumb which is where you would nail. Air pockets are good breathability plus adds insulatiin value.

Reactions: 1 person
Even with a masonite deep profile cut the flat surfaces are plumb which is where you would nail. Air pockets are good breathability plus adds insulatiin value.

if those pockets are all lined up BEHIND the insulation not so much. you want the air gap before the insulation. it won't kill it certainly but it will effect performance. and no offense to the OP or his house but how flush do you really think that old siding is?

also removing it gives him a chance to look for damage. could be unseen problems back there.

My house was built in 1977 and had aluminum double pane windows and masonite siding. The aluminum frames were cold and the siding warped badly through the years. Masonite was sued and some owners were compensated, but not my construction year.

Anyway, in 2011/2012 I first had the official TVA home energy use survey done. The existing walls had about an R11 insulating value.

Then I did exactly as described above and wrapped the old siding. The house wrap wicks moisture but since the insulation isn't as permeable the face of the insulation becomes a condensation surface and it's important to furr out 1/2in to provide an air gap over the housewrap before adding 3/4 exterior foam insulation. The furring and insulation boards evened out rough spots for a perfectly smooth wall. Then the Alside Prodigy insulated vinyl siding along with New Alside replacement windows. All that along with all the energy survey recommendations and our exterior walls now rate about an R20.

I didn't know our house could be so comfortable or heat and cool so easily. We put a fire in the fireplace and heat the whole house in the evening. Could just about heat it with a candle.

VN Store

Back