I-85 Collapse In Atlanta

Coug

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arBqt8ERS6I[/youtube]

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bridge-collapses-atlanta-freeway-fire-during-rush-hour-n740871

A massive fire caused a bridge to collapse Thursday night on Interstate 85 in Atlanta, one of the busiest stretches of roadway in America, backing up rush hour traffic for several miles and creating what the mayor called a long-term "transportation crisis."

Photos of the initial blaze show huge spools of fiber optic innerduct were stacked and stored under the overpass.
https://mobile.twitter.com/wsbtv/status/847635686962286593

C8Nn7mrUMAAg1Ux.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Help me understand how it is "creating a long term traffic crisis".

Seeing how it's a major thoroughfare, through a major city that already has traffic nightmares, and the bridge collapsed that will take months to repair, I'd say that's a pretty accurate representation of the situation.

Seeing how it's a major thoroughfare, through a major city that already has traffic nightmares, and the bridge collapsed that will take months to repair, I'd say that's a pretty accurate representation of the situation.

How does anyone not understand this?

Reactions: 6 people
Plus earlier this morning all east bound lanes of I20 were closed due to a wreck/fire involving 3 tractor trailers.

It completely closed down one of the busiest roads in America. There are 3 ways out of Atlanta going north to where the majority of people live in the metro area.... I75, GA400 and I85. And to get to GA 400, you have to go up I85 right past where the road is now closed. The ripple effect of people having to take alternate routes is going to be unbelievable.

It completely closed down one of the busiest roads in America. There are 3 ways out of Atlanta going north to where the majority of people live in the metro area.... I75, GA400 and I85. And to get to GA 400, you have to go up I85 right past where the road is now closed. The ripple effect of people having to take alternate routes is going to be unbelievable.

I can't begin to imagine.

I can't begin to imagine.

...and on top of it all, SunTrust Park and a new baseball season opens at the corner of 75 and 285 in 2 weeks.

For the next few months, the quickest way to go north through Atlanta might be hot air balloon.

Reactions: 3 people
When I-880 collapsed from the tanker fire in 2007. It was completely reopened in 27 days

Have watched several videos of the fire and it's just mid boggling...was anyone hurt or killed? Have been thru that area a few times and like everyone else can't imagine what it's going to be like for those in the area for awhile now....crazy!

...and on top of it all, SunTrust Park and a new baseball season opens at the corner of 75 and 285 in 2 weeks.

For the next few months, the quickest way to go north through Atlanta might be hot air balloon.

Crap, forgot about that. It's going to be an absolute nightmare. If it's not fixed by summer break, people should reroute their travel plans going south.

Have watched several videos of the fire and it's just mid boggling...was anyone hurt or killed? Have been thru that area a few times and like everyone else can't imagine what it's going to be like for those in the area for awhile now....crazy!

I read that there were no injuries

I am hoping that Marta really pushes their advantage here. great publicity for them right after we raised taxes for new Marta lines.

Haha. I was just thinking more "long term" than several months.

Happy I gave D4H a break.

Never underestimate the power of the people. I noticed there was a hoe ram breaking up concrete already. I give it two weeks before the road is open again.

Never underestimate the power of the people. I noticed there was a hoe ram breaking up concrete already. I give it two weeks before the road is open again.

depends on the damage to the south bound lanes and the connector. if they have to work on all three forget about it.

VN Store

Back