Jury Duty

I got called once and while sitting in the court parking lot I read a story online from the local paper about a gang robbery/murder. I was actually in the first group to be questioned and the judge asked if anyone had read that article in the paper. Only one to raise my hand and I was dismissed on the spot. Turns out they published it a few days early so my opinion was seen as tainted.

Sitting in a room with about 30 other people who could possibly decide your fate one day is eye opening. And by eye opening I really mean it will scare you straight. Scary stuff

I got called once and while sitting in the court parking lot I read a story online from the local paper about a gang robbery/murder. I was actually in the first group to be questioned and the judge asked if anyone had read that article in the paper. Only one to raise my hand and I was dismissed on the spot. Turns out they published it a few days early so my opinion was seen as tainted.

Sitting in a room with about 30 other people who could possibly decide your fate one day is eye opening. And by eye opening I really mean it will scare you straight. Scary stuff

Look at the comments following stories after somebody is ARRESTED for rape, murder, crimes against minors. 100% are: cut off his tally wacker, hang them, cut it off AND hang them. I always think... maybe they should have a trial first.

i got called 3/4 years ago and ended up in the final cuts for a criminal hearing that involved the police. Defense attorney went down the line cherry picking asking questions and asked me if i had any family members that worked in the police force, told him my uncle and brother in law are both officers. Not more than 2 mins went by and they excused me.

I'm in the insurance business, so that's pretty much an automatic out when it comes to civil cases.

I got picked for a murder trial about 10 years ago. None of us were happy about it. Then we figure out that the guy bring brought up on murder 1 was a convenience store clerk who before getting his gun and firing the kill shot had just been ambushed and shot himself in the front door of his own store. You could literally feel the entire jury lean forward and think "Aww, hell no". In a weird way, I was glad I was there to knock that one down.

Reactions: 2 people
I haven't been called in over 15 years. Mine came via regular mail. I could have tossed it and said I never received it. That's one option. But, I went. It was a murder trial. During selection, they ask all sorts of questions. Testimony was going to involve city police, CHP and EMT's. Last question asked of me: Do you trust and believe law enforcement officers completely. My answer: NO.........See ya later, we don't need ya.

Reactions: 1 person
I got lucky when I had it. Idk if they do it like this everywhere, but they called a bunch of people for jury duty like the whole court room was standing room only. They let a few people out. I think one had moved and didn't live there anymore and a few more were business owners or something like that. Then they selected a grand jury and you had to show up twice if you got selected to it. Then the rest of us got a packet with a bunch of court dates on it and you had to call a number the night before each date and a message would tell you if you had to come or not. And it was about 3 months that it covered out of that time i had to go twice and the first time it ended up being my sister in law on trial so i got out of that and the second time a bad storm had hit and a tree was down on my road so i got out then as well.

Let them know you believe in capital punishment for misdemeanors.

And that you need every Friday off to worship Gorgon The Cat

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone have any pointers on how to get out of it?

If you are a potential juror and either lawyer is lecturing the candidate jurors, be real active and even outspoken. So, if a lawyer asks a general question to the jury pool like "Has anyone ever had a misunderstanding.......' nod your head yes and/or even say 'yes, I have' and be as talkative as you can. You'll be disqualified by the other side. Worked for me.

Going through jury selection is sobering. You basically wind up with 14 people who couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to get out of it. Consequently they want out of there as fast as possible. I was on a civil trial for 10 days, I took 15 pages of notes. Most others had zero. One woman did crosswords and read devotions. Others doodled. We were done deliberating in a couple hours. People's opinions had little to do with the facts of the case and mostly if one attorney was mean or the other was dumb. I cannot imagine your life or livelihood hanging in the balance of a jury.

I am someone who asks you all of those questions and picks juries. All kidding aside, it's your civic duty. There are people counting on you to listen to the evidence and apply the law. It's only a few days (if that) every 10 years. My bet is you have had more worthless days in those 10 years than having jury duty.

They try not to excuse business owners or teachers anymore because they want a nice cross section of the community. Usually, you can only get excused because of your age or a disability. As an attorney, I am an independent contractor that doesn't make a salary, and I had to spend a day in a jury pool.

I know it's uncomfortable answering questions and being with a bunch of people you don't know. But embrace it. As someone said before though, if you embrace it too much and are aggressive with answering questions, then you probably will get booted. We aren't looking for people with an agenda. Just some advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Welp, got my letter today for jury duty. I won't be able to do it because I'm on short term disability trying to recover from chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer.

I got stuck on the GJ about a year ago. We had a bunch of real big stuff come through and it is really eye opening when you start wrapping your head around the fact that you and 11 others are holding the fate of someone to a degree.

Just say kill them all, and let God sort it out.

Tried it, didn't seem to bug the AG to much. He just smiled and told me to sign the paper.

I got called in for a federal case in Nashville a couple of years ago. I walked into the court room for the jury selection process and the lawyers for the defendant turned around and caught my attention..... then I looked at the defendant..... I knew him.

As soon as the indictments were read the judge asked if anyone had any prior k owledge of the case.... I raised my hand.... said I knew the defendant..... judge said "I believe we're through with you Mr.Pickens"..... I said cool

Let them know you believe in capital punishment for misdemeanors.

And that you need every Friday off to worship Gorgon The Cat

Obviously you're a sinner, every true follower knows Gorgon is worshipped on Tuesday!

VN Store

Back