Hey, I Might NOT Be Dying

Weezer

VolNation Dalai Lama , VN Most Beloved Poster
So I've had cirrhosis of the liver for some time now. I'm on the liver transplant list at Vanderbilt, but unfortunately, no matches yet. I went for a routine visit last Tuesday. The doctor said I have about a year to live. He said either they find me a liver, or, as he put it, Heaven. Being religious, I look at it as whatever happens is God's will. But I'd be lying if I said this hasn't created a high level of anxiety within me. I'm not really scared, which is odd, I just find myself highly nervous.

I'm hoping talking about it might help those nerves, but I'm not sure if it will work or not.

For the record, I have the NASH form of cirrhosis, meaning it wasn't caused by alcohol. I had a fatty liver that turned into cirrhosis.

One other note, my dad died less than a year ago from liver cancer, which started out as NASH before turning into cancer.

So I've had cirrhosis of the liver for some time now. I'm on the liver transplant list at Vanderbilt, but unfortunately, no matches yet. I went for a routine visit last Tuesday. The doctor said I have about a year to live. He said either they find me a liver, or, as he put it, Heaven. Being religious, I look at it as whatever happens is God's will. But I'd be lying if I said this hasn't created a high level of anxiety within me. I'm not really scared, which is odd, I just find myself highly nervous.

I'm hoping talking about it might help those nerves, but I'm not sure if it will work or not.

For the record, I have the NASH form of cirrhosis, meaning it wasn't caused by alcohol. I had a fatty liver that turned into cirrhosis.

One other note, my dad died less than a year ago from liver cancer, which started out as NASH before turning into cancer.

I'm shocked to hear this. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a positive outcome.

No, sorry. You don't get to die until you give me that bare chested, baby oiled hug.

There must be a live donor out there somewhere.

Damn, hate this on you Weezer. Best of luck on finding a new liver.

I'm shocked to hear this. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a positive outcome.

Thank you. If I remember correctly, you lost your dad to liver cancer, too. Losing my dad was extremely hard. I miss him every day.

No, sorry. You don't get to die until you give me that bare chested, baby oiled hug.

There must be a live donor out there somewhere.

I believe I'll get a liver, but whatever happens is what happens. But I've not given up.

As for the hug, I'm in Knoxville. Bring the baby oil. Buy the good stuff.

No matter what, I'm trying to keep my sense of humor. I like to laugh too much to quit.

Reactions: 6 people
Thank you. If I remember correctly, you lost your dad to liver cancer, too. Losing my dad was extremely hard. I miss him every day.

Colon cancer got my father. It's a tough situation, even at 30 I still think of something every week that I wish I could ask him. Just general life stuff. Think about him every day.

I know you're going to find a donor!

My problem is a partial liver won't do. My liver is so far gone I need a full transplant. Unfortunately, for me to get a liver, someone else has to die. It's morbid if you spend too much time thinking about it. I could never wish death on someone else. That's why I say whatever happens is God's will. If it's in His plans someone else dies so that I live, well, that's His will. If it's His will I leave this world, well, I'll leave this world. I can't control what happens, so I just leave it in God's hands.

Reactions: 4 people
Sorry to hear Weezer. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like. I pray for good outcome for you.

My problem is a partial liver won't do. My liver is so far gone I need a full transplant. Unfortunately, for me to get a liver, someone else has to die. It's morbid if you spend too much time thinking about it. I could never wish death on someone else. That's why I say whatever happens is God's will. If it's in His plans someone else dies so that I live, well, that's His will. If it's His will I leave this world, well, I'll leave this world. I can't control what happens, so I just leave it in God's hands.

I think one of the only non-morbid ways to hope about getting that liver is that someone with a healthy liver is in so much pain with something else that they can finally find peace of body and mind, knowing that their final act on earth is helping others.

Reactions: 1 person
Weezer, this is rough. Sounds like you have a pretty good outlook and attitude. I try to be pretty scientific about everything, but i can't help but feel mind can overcome matter when it comes to our health. Try to stay as stress free and happy as you can, considering the circumstances. Maybe you stretch that year into 18 months or whatever it takes to get the liver.

Think of it this way. Spring is upon us and so is riding season so your crotch rocket organ donation pool is about to increase. You can't stop Darwin but you can certainly borrow a liver from him.

Last edited:
Dayum..... that's all I can say.... just... damn, man.

Sorry you are going thru this. Hang in there, stay strong and hold onto the hope. Praying for you brother.

Weezer, I'd give you mine but it's probably had as much alcohol run through it to float South Knoxville. Also, probably not much time left on mine either. Hoping there's a liver train headed your way in the very near future.

Don't really know what to say Weez. I really pray and hope everything works out. Take care and stay strong.

It sounds like you are at peace regardless of the outcome. I'll be praying and pulling for you. Stay strong.

Love ya man. Let's go see a show soon and do something fun together. Lots of them coming up soon.

That is a tough one, pray you find a donor. I wonder if the "opt-out" organ donation policy of France would work here?

VN Store

Back