Pappy Van Winkle Releasing Super Limited Bourbon

Never had it. Imagine it is more hype than reality.

I have some bourbon I prefer and can't imagine there is much better.

Reactions: 2 people
Never had it. Imagine it is more hype than reality.

I have some bourbon I prefer and can't imagine there is much better.

I'd say almost every whiskey drinker's palette has a ceiling. There is only so much that any specific person can appreciate a whiskey. I think I can appreciate a bourbon that is about $120, but I doubt that I could appreciate a $200+ bourbon. I can appreciate an old, expensive scotch, but only if it's aged in sherry casks or the like.

The price of any booze, means nothing.

Pappy might be the #1 rated bourbon (& it is darn good) the real prices stem from supply & demand.

Everyone drinker wants to say they drank a 23 year old bourbon, & they all want to. There's just not a lot to go around.

There are plenty of comparable bourbons out there, just not 23 years old.

We sell Pappy 23 at $85.50 per oz. just to get our money back on what we paid. We'll give you Jeff Ocean for 1/4 of that, & I think it's superior.

Buy the bourbon, not the hype.

Reactions: 1 person

Pappy might be the #1 rated bourbon (& it is darn good) the real prices stem from supply & demand.

Everyone drinker wants to say they drank a 23 year old bourbon, & they all want to. There's just not a lot to go around.

We sell Pappy 23 at $85.50 per oz. just to get our money back on what we paid. We'll give you Jeff Ocean for 1/4 of that, & I think it's superior.

we don't even have a shot at getting Pappy 23. Maybe this year we can get offered it before just saying no lol

It's not rated #1. Also I think Jeff ocean is way overpriced too.

Personally I like the younger pappys better.

It's not rated #1. Also I think Jeff ocean is way overpriced too.

Personally I like the younger pappys better.

most people agree with both of those assessments

still stand by the Ocean Cask Strength, though

Agree.. The problem is there are idiots out there that will pay the money

Most people probably buy it to impress someone..special clients etc....I'm so glad I got out of the corporate mess..it was nothing but cliques and back stabbing to climb the ladder

Funny, I had a dream about PVW last night and I don't even drink liquor.

Saw it at a random bar in Sacramento two years ago. Told my boss about it. He bought us both one. $125/drink. Was very good but I wouldn't pay that for it

I've had a couple people call into the store trying to find Pappy recently... You'd think if someone knows enough about bourbon to be familiar with Pappy that they would know they aren't going to find it on store shelves this time of year.

Last edited:
I have a feeling there will be some arrests this go round. In TN, liquor stores are prohibited from marking up over a certain percentage yet somehow they can find one last bottle in the back if you'll pay about 5x the maximum they can legally sell a bottle for. Plan B is they take it to craigslist which is also illegal.

I have a feeling there will be some arrests this go round. In TN, liquor stores are prohibited from marking up over a certain percentage yet somehow they can find one last bottle in the back if you'll pay about 5x the maximum they can legally sell a bottle for. Plan B is they take it to craigslist which is also illegal.

Any police wasting time on that should be arrested for being ignorant a-holes.

Any police wasting time on that should be arrested for being ignorant a-holes.

I am a personal friend of Mr. Byrd and I will report anyone I see trying to bootleg this on Craigslist and I may do some self recorded inquiries at local retailers.

There is a state created monopoly that prohibits individuals from buying directly from distillers or even wholesalers in this state. Part of the tradeoff that honest retailers are supposed to abide by in exchange for that monopoly is the markup limit. If someone wants to use that monopoly and then break the law to gouge consumers, then yes I have a problem with it and I have the time, resources and contacts to do something about it.

VN Store

Back