You ever get one upped?

Sin City Vol

I think we all have known or worked with someone who is notorious for one-upping everyone with outlandish stories. I heard one today that was probably the most BS I had ever heard...please share some doozy stories that someone has tried to one up something you have said or heard..

So I had lunch today with some former co-workers and they brought this "new guy" that they work with and we were bsing about sports and possible chances to play college sports for a couple of guys when they were young. So out of the blue this guy states he was once recruited by Alabama to play football. It obviously raised some eyebrows and I asked how old he was. Well he said he is 42 and my next question was which coach recruited him, of course it was Bear Bryant. I then asked him if he knew when Bear passed away. He said it was in the mid 90's and I laughed and said try again, he passed in the 80's and you weren't even in HS when he died. Needless to say, he knew he was caught in a lie but I found it funny.

Reactions: 5 people
Well... he may have been recruited by dead Bear.
IMG_0086.JPG

Reactions: 3 people
Not at work but I have a neighbor and boy is he a doozy. He's a nice guy and excellent handy man. Had him remodel my bathroom awhile back. Only down side was that meant he was in my house frequently and he can talk all day. He told me about all these inventions he had made and how he got invited to visit the president but he didn't go because the guy who was working on something similar to him was assisinated. I just nodded and was like yeah man. Most recently he told me we were all getting a quarter of a million dollars in tax returns from Trump.

I think we all have known or worked with someone who is notorious for one-upping everyone with outlandish stories. I heard one today that was probably the most BS I had ever heard...please share some doozy stories that someone has tried to one up something you have said or heard..

So I had lunch today with some former co-workers and they brought this "new guy" that they work with and we were bsing about sports and possible chances to play college sports for a couple of guys when they were young. So out of the blue this guy states he was once recruited by Alabama to play football. It obviously raised some eyebrows and I asked how old he was. Well he said he is 42 and my next question was which coach recruited him, of course it was Bear Bryant. I then asked him if he knew when Bear passed away. He said it was in the mid 90's and I laughed and said try again, he passed in the 80's and you weren't even in HS when he died. Needless to say, he knew he was caught in a lie but I found it funny.

I would bet that you get a lot of that living in Vegas. I was there for a wedding last May and drinking with some friends at a lounge in The Encore and some guy tried to tell one of the bridesmaids that he was Steve Wynn's son. Of course, Steve Wynn has two daughters but no son. The lesson being - a good BS artist does his homework first.

I work in construction and let's just say this industry is natorious for having workers that have "done it all."

I told a dude 3 nights ago that the reason I got into auto racing, was I knew a very good short track racer (joe Buford). I said he was very good, but never advanced past the truck series.

He fired back, saying his buddy builds engines for joe Gibbs racing

Reactions: 1 person
Deer hunters and anglers.

Need I say more?

I was with a friend at the beach who was fishing from the shore when a little kid came up and started swapping fishing stories. The kid looked suspicious after a couple of my friend's claims and my friend smiled at him and trotted out the old line, "Hey, all fishermen are liars except for me and you. And I'm not so sure about you." Then the kid just looked confused.

I told a dude 3 nights ago that the reason I got into auto racing, was I knew a very good short track racer (joe Buford). I said he was very good, but never advanced past the truck series.

He fired back, saying his buddy builds engines for joe Gibbs racing

What he didn't win the Winston Cup?

Needs to up his story game, imo.

I have a family member by marriage that lies about anything and everything. He has told me on 3 separate occasions about how he saw Areosmith the first time they ever performed. Each time he was in a different situation. The first time he told the story he was a bass player in the opening band. The second time he was a bouncer at the bar, and the third time he was the bartender.

I have a family member by marriage that lies about anything and everything. He has told me on 3 separate occasions about how he saw Areosmith the first time they ever performed. Each time he was in a different situation. The first time he told the story he was a bass player in the opening band. The second time he was a bouncer at the bar, and the third time he was the bartender.

Back when I was in the band Aerosmith, I remember the first we performed live together. There was this dude at the club that did it all. He bartended, he bounced, he even filled in a couple songs on bass while Tom Hamilton went backstage to do a couple lines and service this cute little waitress. Good times...

Reactions: 6 people
Came home from fishing once and the neighbor kid told me about his world record small mouth bass he had caught the summer before. Weighed in at 42 pounds so I was rightly impressed. If you are gonna lie, may as well go big. I don't have big fish stories myself because the fish I like are small and I am not that good anyway.

I do have a buddy that is a retired SEAL. His stories will most likely on-up anything you can tell but his are also true.

AF was a gold-mine for stories. Amazing how many people were "this close" to Pararescue or Combat Control.

Reactions: 2 people
Sister dated a guy and anytime football came up he would mention that he was asked to be a talent scout for the Colts but turned it down to go to law school. I said if that's really true you're a damn idiot.

Came home from fishing once and the neighbor kid told me about his world record small mouth bass he had caught the summer before. Weighed in at 42 pounds so I was rightly impressed. If you are gonna lie, may as well go big. I don't have big fish stories myself because the fish I like are small and I am not that good anyway.

I do have a buddy that is a retired SEAL. His stories will most likely on-up anything you can tell but his are also true.

AF was a gold-mine for stories. Amazing how many people were "this close" to Pararescue or Combat Control.

My favorites when I was in the military was always how much money they made before they joined and how much of a stud at sports they were in HS. Had a guy tell me one time he averaged 35pts a game in the NY City League prior to joining. Said all the big schools wanted him. Yea we got into some intramural league and he didn't even start. I'll be the 1st to tell you I was no basketball stud at any point in my life (I could shoot and I hustled my ass off) and this guy was worse than me. We made fun of him so much he eventually quit playing on our team. We would call him Kenny Anderson and ask him if he dominated at Rucker park.

Move forward 6 years and I saw him again in a gym in Virginia, I think he shart himself when I walked in. I immediately asked if he was still averaging 35 a game

Last edited:
I had an Uncle that claimed he was Jesus for a period of time. In his defense he was taking enough drugs that would have put down the Budweiser Clydesdales.

He one upped everybody until he got himself cleaned up.

Worked with a guy who claimed to have Secret Service, FBI clearance etc. man he could spin a yarn. I always enjoyed gigging him on why he was not still SS. He was just burned out and needed a change in his life.

He told a story of dancing with Jackie Kennedy at the inaugural ball. I played along for the fun of the game.

Later that day around a group of coworkers I ask him when he was born and he spit out the date.
I said you remember that story you told me about dancing with Jackie O? Yeah, what about it? I said you realize you would have been 12 years old then?
Everyone horse laughed.

What a clown!

Worked with a guy who claimed to have Secret Service, FBI clearance etc. man he could spin a yarn. I always enjoyed gigging him on why he was not still SS. He was just burned out and needed a change in his life.

He told a story of dancing with Jackie Kennedy at the inaugural ball. I played along for the fun of the game.

Later that day around a group of coworkers I ask him when he was born and he spit out the date.
I said you remember that story you told me about dancing with Jackie O? Yeah, what about it? I said you realize you would have been 12 years old then?
Everyone horse laughed.

What a clown!

Hahahha

VN Store

Back