Any RV owners in here?

Sin City Vol

I'm thinking about buying one that i can drive we visit a lot of the parks on the west coast and it would be easier than packing up a vehicle and setting everything up.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about buying one that i can drive we visit a lot of the parks on the west coast and it would be easier than packing up a vehicle and setting everything up.

Any suggestions?

Are you looking at a class C or A or a towable?

Any suggestions?

I have a fifth wheel camper. It's nice to be able to have a vehicle to drive once you arrive. If we're doing what you're doing, I'd go with a diesel and the tow a small vehicle along. What is your budget?

I have a fifth wheel camper. It's nice to be able to have a vehicle to drive once you arrive. If we're doing what you're doing, I'd go with a diesel and the tow a small vehicle along. What is your budget?

We just ordered a 5er, moving up from a TT. I concur with the vehicle, that's why I don't ever see us in a class A or C.

Reactions: 1 person
Might also want to look about size restrictions. If you're wanting to stay in the parks there may be length limits on the spaces that won't accommodate a big diesel pusher. If you're ok staying around the park and going in by car I would get a little tow car. The sky is really the limit on how decked out you want to go.

^Myself, we wanted to stay at 35' or a little less. Once you get over 35' it really limits the number of campsites you can get into.

Lots of questions and suggestions. I don't need anything that big, it's normally just the wife and I. Sometimes one of the boys will come along and maybe bring a dog. I'm most likely wanting to go with something used and not exceed $35k.

I think we will go with the tow car route, we've been looking at buy a Jeep just to kick around in. I am really in the infant stages of this and trying to get some info from more seasoned owners.

I just got back from Zion last night, days were great and the nights were chilly!! I've done Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Death Valley and right now looking at Bryce Canyon or Yellowstone within the next 6 months. Love being outdoors and away from the cell phones and rest of the world for a few days.

Thanks again for all the input

Lots of questions and suggestions. I don't need anything that big, it's normally just the wife and I. Sometimes one of the boys will come along and maybe bring a dog. I'm most likely wanting to go with something used and not exceed $35k.

I think we will go with the tow car route, we've been looking at buy a Jeep just to kick around in. I am really in the infant stages of this and trying to get some info from more seasoned owners.

I just got back from Zion last night, days were great and the nights were chilly!! I've done Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Death Valley and right now looking at Bryce Canyon or Yellowstone within the next 6 months. Love being outdoors and away from the cell phones and rest of the world for a few days.

They definitely make camping much more enjoyable.

There are so many different floor plans available you just need to look around until you find one your wife will like. Also just from my experience, if you don't have live at home kids that will definitely go every time you go, don't waste space with bunks.

They definitely make camping much more enjoyable.

There are so many different floor plans available you just need to look around until you find one your wife will like. Also just from my experience, if you don't have live at home kids that will definitely go every time you go, don't waste space with bunks.

I thought about that, we really just need it for the 2 of us. There's an RV show this weekend in Henderson and we're gonna just take a look at some layouts and see exactly what we may need.

Thanks for the input

This is just my opinion and others may disagree but if you are going to tow a car or jeep, I'd go diesel. Diesels are more expensive but they'll tow much better especially in mountainous terrain like it sounds like you do. I would rather have a slightly older diesel than a newer gas model. I would go on eBay. They have a great search tool where you can specify what you want. Even if you don't purchase from eBay, it will give you an idea as to what motor homes like you want are bringing. I think you should be able to get into a 10-15 year old diesel pusher in your price range. After you get an idea as to what you want, you can look at some dealers and Craigslist and such.

I thought about that, we really just need it for the 2 of us. There's an RV show this weekend in Henderson and we're gonna just take a look at some layouts and see exactly what we may need.

Thanks for the input

Once you pick out the floor plan(s) you like it really narrows that search down for you. I'd absolutely do the RV show since you get a wide variety all in one place to look at.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/A-To-Z-Motors-2915408/listing/2010-Airstream-Sport-22FB-120989774

Many tow bloggers who drive in the mountains will tell you not to have a total trailer weight over 80% of your Tow Vehicle's manufacturer's allowable tow weight.

For example, this model

A 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Hemi V8 with Quadralift automatic load leveling has a maximum tow capacity of 7,200 lbs.

Jeep Capabilities - Towing Capacity Chart

80% of that is 5,760 lbs.

This is the most you want your fully loaded travel trailer to weigh when all food, cooking gear, [full potable water tank, full grey water (sink), black water (toilet), ~all if you're wilderness camping and have to haul your potable water in and grey & blackwater out to a dumpstation, fill potable after travel and before leaving road and empty potable before leaving to have a lighter traveling CGVWR] clothes, tv, whatever you take..

Others will tell you you can exceed that, but consider going down some long, ĺong and steep mountain grade with left and right hand sweepers in it. Anyway, you also have to know the maximum vertical load the vehicle's hitch will carry (pin weight) ON YOUR VEHICLE. A hitch will usually carry more than the vehicle can, but make certain your hitch (if you go aftermarket) will carry the trailer weight and the TV will have a Maximum Tow AND Pin (hitch) load that will exceed those applied by your trailer.

CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for your Tow Vehicle should never be exceeded.

Depending on the size of trailer you choose, even if you have load leveling suspension, you will want a weight distributing hitch.

How Towing Weight Distribution Systems Work | HowStuffWorks

Remember:

Tow Vehicle (TV): •Maximum towing capacity.
•Maximum hitch (pin) weight
•Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

Trailer:
•Empty Weight (read manufacturers specs) •Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) fully loaded trailer( will be on a sticker somewhere).

Your magic number is the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (CGVWR) which is..

Fully loaded Tow Vehicle carrying a full tank and 4 or 5 adults plus gear PLUS a fully loaded Trailer at 80% of the TV's maximum tow. That 80% also allows you and your wife to bring along your kids or two or three adults without going over the CGVWR.

We had the largest Coleman pop up camper and a Lincoln Navigator, which I literally wore out; the Navi at 217,000 something miles.

Anyway, pick your trailer first so you KNOW you have a tow vehicle that can handle it.

Many tow bloggers who drive in the mountains will tell you not to have a total trailer weight over 80% of your Tow Vehicle's manufacturer's allowable tow weight.

For example, this model

A 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Hemi V8 with Quadralift automatic load leveling has a maximum tow capacity of 7,200 lbs.

This is the most you want your fully loaded travel trailer to weigh when all food, cooking gear, [full potable water tank, full grey water (sink), black water (toilet), ~all if you're wilderness camping and have to haul your potable water in and grey & blackwater out to a dumpstation, fill potable after travel and before leaving road and empty potable before leaving to have a lighter traveling CGVWR] clothes, tv, whatever you take..

Others will tell you you can exceed that, but consider going down some long, ĺong and steep mountain grade with left and right hand sweepers in it. Anyway, you also have to know the maximum vertical load the vehicle's hitch will carry (pin weight) ON YOUR VEHICLE. A hitch will usually carry more than the vehicle can, but make certain your hitch (if you go aftermarket) will carry the trailer weight and the TV will have a Maximum Tow AND Pin (hitch) load that will exceed those applied by your trailer.

CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for your Tow Vehicle should never be exceeded.

Depending on the size of trailer you choose, even if you have load leveling suspension, you will want a weight distributing hitch.

Remember:

Trailer:
•Empty Weight (read manufacturers specs) •Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) fully loaded trailer( will be on a sticker somewhere).

Your magic number is the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (CGVWR) which is..

Fully loaded Tow Vehicle carrying a full tank and 4 or 5 adults plus gear PLUS a fully loaded Trailer at 80% of the TV's maximum tow. That 80% also allows you and your wife to bring along your kids or two or three adults without going over the CGVWR.

We had the largest Coleman pop up camper and a Lincoln Navigator, which I literally wore out; the Navi at 217,000 something miles.

Anyway, pick your trailer first so you KNOW you have a tow vehicle that can handle it.

Oh yeah. Depending on the trailer, you may want the heavy duty multi ply sidewall tires. Tire flex heating up overloaded tires is huge cause of TV tire blowouts and accidents.

For example, this model

Remember:

Trailer:

This is why I am trying to avoid pulling anything. I just want something that is average in size that I can drive. I wonder if Cruise America would sell me one of there old ones :)

This is why I am trying to avoid pulling anything. I just want something that is average in size that I can drive. I wonder if Cruise America would sell me one of there old ones :)

Have you rented one and tried it out yet?

VN Store

Back