Any you own a Pit Bulldog?

rockydoc

Made me sick to read of the child in Atlanta killed and another young child mauled while at a school bus stop after being attacked by these savage beasts. If I were the dad of one of these kids, I would not only shoot the animal but also the owner.

Oh, I'm sure some of the A-hole types that own Pits or Rottweilers will say their dogs are harmless. Always thought owners of big vicious dogs were either drug dealers or people with little egos who felt big owning a big dog. Suit me if every Pitbull on the planet were euthanized tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people
Last thread about this didn't go to well.

Interesting though.I forecast the same for this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Pit bulls make up the #1 breed in the world for dog bites per year by a landslide and its not even close. Very dangerous breed. I would never let my family around one.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't like classifying a breed because of individual attacks by certain dogs. But my only experience with a pit was a negative one. My best friend in high school had one and it was fine for a long time. I even house sat for them while they were on vacation and took care of it. Then at some point it just got extremely aggressive to me if my friend wasn't around. At one point I came to his house opened the back door and the dog was standing there in the next room it saw me and rushed me to the point I had to use the door as a shield. All I can say is I wouldn't personally own one or spend time at anyone's home who has one around.

While one can never really make a pure breed vs owner argument (it's not that simple) there is simply no escaping the huge overrepresentation of pits in extreme maulings and fatalities. Rotts are a very distant 2nd.

"The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 11-year period. From 2005 to 2015, pit bulls killed 232 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 41, about one citizen every 98 days."

I don't like classifying a breed because of individual attacks by certain dogs. But my only experience with a pit was a negative one. My best friend in high school had one and it was fine for a long time. I even house sat for them while they were on vacation and took care of it. Then at some point it just got extremely aggressive to me if my friend wasn't around. At one point I came to his house opened the back door and the dog was standing there in the next room it saw me and rushed me to the point I had to use the door as a shield. All I can say is I wouldn't personally own one or spend time at anyone's home who has one around.

Sounds like the dog was simply territorial. You were in said dog's house and entered in a manner that it perceived to be a threat.

My roommate's father entered my condo without knocking. This pissed off my pit. Her response was a little different. She got stressed out, ran away, and pissed on my bed.

I have half a mind to spam this thread with pictures of my pit. If someone who thinks pits are going to murder them in their sleep will research the breed and then engage me in reasonable conversation about it I will refrain.

Reactions: 3 people
Made me sick to read of the child in Atlanta killed and another young child mauled while at a school bus stop after being attacked by these savage beasts. If I were the dad of one of these kids, I would not only shoot the animal but also the owner.

Oh, I'm sure some of the A-hole types that own Pits or Rottweilers will say their dogs are harmless. Always thought owners of big vicious dogs were either drug dealers or people with little egos who felt big owning a big dog. Suit me if every Pitbull on the planet were euthanized tomorrow.

Also, I shoot back, bro. You're right, tho. My IT career is just like dealing drugs.

While one can never really make a pure breed vs owner argument (it's not that simple) there is simply no escaping the huge overrepresentation of pits in extreme maulings and fatalities. Rotts are a very distant 2nd.

"The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 11-year period. From 2005 to 2015, pit bulls killed 232 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 41, about one citizen every 98 days."

Irresponsible owners and a large Pit Bull population.

Reactions: 2 people
Irresponsible owners and a large Pit Bull population.

I'm trying to reconcile the math and it doesn't fit well. Take every breed of dog out there, from Akita's to Yorkies, and all the owners out there, and we still get this degree of disparity. For the really severe maulings and fatalities pits aren't overrepresented vs other breeds...they're overrepresented vs all breeds combined, and by a significant margin.

Let's make sure to delineate between "bites/attacks" and "maulings/fatalities". I won't even attempt to argue there aren't more of the former spread out with all the labs/shepherds/retrievers/beagles/etc out there. There's lots more of these "general ownership" dogs and there's no shortage of lousy owners. People get "bit" all the time. The issue with pits is that, even if one accepts a lower (even much lower) incident of bites the correlation with SEVERE incidents and fatalities is overwhelming.

There's no breed that is simply evil. Every breed you can name will have people willing to stand up and sing praises of how Snowflake and Mr Snugglebottom are the best dogs that ever walked God's earth, including many pit owners. That's fine but does nothing to change what I've cited above.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm trying to reconcile the math and it doesn't fit well. Take every breed of dog out there, from Akita's to Yorkies, and all the owners out there, and we still get this degree of disparity. For the really severe maulings and fatalities pits aren't overrepresented vs other breeds...they're overrepresented vs all breeds combined, and by a significant margin.

Let's make sure to delineate between "bites/attacks" and "maulings/fatalities". I won't even attempt to argue there aren't more of the former spread out with all the labs/shepherds/retrievers/beagles/etc out there. There's lots more of these "general ownership" dogs and there's no shortage of lousy owners. People get "bit" all the time. The issue with pits is that, even if one accepts a lower (even much lower) incident of bites the correlation with SEVERE incidents and fatalities is overwhelming.

There's no breed that is simply evil. Every breed you can name will have people willing to stand up and sing praises of how Snowflake and Mr Snugglebottom are the best dogs that ever walked God's earth, including many pit owners. That's fine but does nothing to change what I've cited above.

Here's some information on how attack numbers are typically calculated: The Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Behind Dog Bites | The Huffington Post

It's kinda bull****. That being said, can you cite where your numbers came from?

Bigger dogs will do more damage in attacks... same as bigger vehicles in wrecks and bigger people in fights. Nasty people cause certain breeds to be ostracized. Punish the owners, not the dogs.

Chihuahuas are pretty mean and wiener dogs are often moody. A 5 or 10 pound varmint won't do too much damage.

Bigger dogs will do more damage in attacks... same as bigger vehicles in wrecks and bigger people in fights. Nasty people cause certain breeds to be ostracized. Punish the owners, not the dogs.

Chihuahuas are pretty mean and wiener dogs are often moody. A 5 or 10 pound varmint won't do too much damage.

Pshhhhhh, I'm a little guy and I'll whoop everybody!😜😜😜😜

Every case ive ever worked involving a dog bite the owners always seem to say the same thing. " i dont know what happened, hes never bitten anyone, he is just a big baby."

Ive seen various types of dogs involved in attacks, chows, german sheppard, doubermans, but the overwhelming majority are pit bulls.

Reactions: 3 people
Here's some information on how attack numbers are typically calculated: The Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Behind Dog Bites | The Huffington Post

It's kinda bull****. That being said, can you cite where your numbers came from?

U.S. Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Dog Breeds That Have Attacked the Most People | PetBreeds

That second site is interesting as it goes through individual breeds (and even some specific mixes) and touches on that difference between attacking and killing.

No argument that larger breeds have the ability to do more damage. At issue now though is how pits account for more fatalities, by a considerable margin, than all those other breeds that are as large or even larger combined.

Maybe the government needs to seize every citizen's vehicle that is capable of going over the speed limit. A lot more innocent people are killed by speeders than by dogs.

VN Store

Back