Will the Super Bowel be broadcast in 4K?

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
My 8 year old Panasonic plasma died on me in November so I finally around to purchasing a fancy schmancy new 4K tv last weekend. I know most content is not in 4K yet but they did at least film the Super Bowl in 8K last year. Just wondering if anyone has heard if they plan on actually broadcasting in 4K this year. I would assume it would be an online stream since OTA and most cable doesn't support 4K yet.

I couldn't find a definitive answer on google. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Don't think so. I only know of FOX buffing up their "Be the Player" POV replay thing. Havent heard a word about HDR or 4K.

Can the current set top boxes transmit 4K? If the max it will output is 1080 it doesn't matter how fancy your tv is.

Nope but other devices like fireTVs, Chromecast, Roku, and network apps can transmit 4k.

But then are they transmitting a 4K signal via their apps? I know Amazon has 4K content that will display through the fire tv. I don't know about third party stuff.

Can the current set top boxes transmit 4K? If the max it will output is 1080 it doesn't matter how fancy your tv is.

The TV has chromcast built in so if it was through some online stream I could probably get it.

Kinda surprised they aren't doing it.

Do you have the Chromecast Ultra?

The TV has an android OS. Chromcast is just built in. To be honest I didn't even realize it was a feature of the tv until I got it home. Generally I use an Apple TV for "smart" functionality so I wasn't really concerned about the "smart" features of any TV I was looking at. Unfortunately the Apple TV doesn't support 4K so I have used the built in YouTube app to watch some 4K demo reels and a Super Bowel* 50 highlight video in 4K.

*i did it on purpose that time 😁

But then are they transmitting a 4K signal via their apps? I know Amazon has 4K content that will display through the fire tv. I don't know about third party stuff.

Not sure if I understand what you are saying, but the source (youtube, Netflix, amazon) have to be sending the signal in 4K, the third party apps aren't upscaling from 1080P to 4K....not sure if this is what you were asking though.

The Technology Behind Super Bowl LI - Consumer Reports

Broadcasters have been using 4K cameras for slow-motion replays for several years now, but Fox will use more of them than ever before. But although much of the game will be shot in the higher-resolution format, the Super Bowl won't be shown in 4K, surely a disappointment to those who now own 4K TVs. (So far, live 4K broadcast content has been limited in the U.S., mainly to live sporting events on Direct TV.)

This year's game, however, will mark the first time that some of the on-field Super Bowl action will also be shot using a higher resolution 8K camera. Fox plans to use several 4K cameras that can record at faster-than-normal frame rates, too. The 4K and 8K cameras offer razor-sharp, highly detailed images, and the higher frame rates help reduce motion blur during fast-moving scenes. That makes the super slow-motion replays look better, even when broadcast in regular HD.

Despite the fact that the game won't be shown in 4K, Davies says the advantages of Ultra HD cameras and faster frame rates will be apparent. "The ability to capture a quarterback's reaction to an evolving situation on the field, or the grimace of a sideline coach after a call, can heighten the emotional impact of the game for viewers," he explains. "It's always best to start with the highest-quality source material you can get."

VN Store

Back