Screen casting help

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
So, I know there must be a way, but I can't figure this out:

What is the best/cheapest way to cast streaming video from an Android phone to a smart TV/receiver/DVD player?

So, I know there must be a way, but I can't figure this out:

What is the best/cheapest way to cast streaming video from an Android phone to a smart TV/receiver/DVD player?

My best answer is Chromecast but there are probably cheaper ways that i don't know of.

My Samsung DVD has a casting option, but it doesn't ever pick up my device.

My primary reason is that the Watch ESPN app on XBO sucks and only has a few of the replays.

My primary reason is that the Watch ESPN app on XBO sucks and only has a few of the replays.

Chromecast. I do it all the time for ESPN. I think it's $35. The only drawback I've found is you have to have wifi even if you're streaming from your device. The wifi is sort of like a hub I guess.

If you don't have a Smart TV, Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick will both work. I have all three (Smart TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick) and can't tell a difference when streaming (which is the only way I watch TV).

Yes, both devices are definitely connected to wifi. I guess I'll get a Chromecast...It just seems like there should be software on the smart device that could receive a cast without additional hardware, but I guess there isn't.

If you don't have a Smart TV, Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick will both work. I have all three (Smart TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick) and can't tell a difference when streaming (which is the only way I watch TV).

I do have smart devices (Samsung TV, Denon receiver, Sony DVD). All have what looks like a screen to detect casting, but I can't find my phone.

Yes, both devices are definitely connected to wifi. I guess I'll get a Chromecast...It just seems like there should be software on the smart device that could receive a cast without additional hardware, but I guess there isn't.

You may try dnla.

Different companies have different casting. Android software has chromecasting built in. Samsung liked to use Allcast.

There's a 0.1% chance you can download Allcast and get it to work, but I really doubt. Easiest is have amazon ship you a chromecast.

Different companies have different casting. Android software has chromecasting built in. Samsung liked to use Allcast.

There's a 0.1% chance you can download Allcast and get it to work, but I really doubt. Easiest is have amazon ship you a chromecast.

Thanks. I tried Allcast but it only will share pics, saved videos, music, etc. It looks like Chromecast is the best option.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Weird, I have never had any issues screencasting to my smart tv with my GS7. If you are having issues I would suggest chromecast as well.

Spend an extra $15 and get an Android TV box. Casts seamlessly from Android phone and comes with Kodi. You don't have to stream "protected" content on it (you can). Comcast can't seem to get my DVR's to play on other TV's or even consistently record scheduled programs.

I have an Apple TV 4 and a Amazon fire tv with kodi. Canceled Directv and saving $140 a month.

Recently got the Apple TV4. Love it. Remote takes a feather-lite touch and some getting used to and it doesn't support VPN...but is way more stable and faster than $45 Android box.

Also got a Tenda AC1900 router for $55 from OD that I highly recommend. Comcast's wifi router is stool.

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue really is. Is it a Droid Turbo by any chance? Those things are notorious for screen casting issues.

Nope, Moto Z. Motorolas are not listed as compatible on the Samsung website.

As to the question of the ESPN app: Yes, my XBox has the app, but it isn't the same. It doesn't have all the replay games available for some reason. I don't understand why they are different, as it still logs in through my TDS account.

Nope, Moto Z. Motorolas are not listed as compatible on the Samsung website.

As to the question of the ESPN app: Yes, my XBox has the app, but it isn't the same. It doesn't have all the replay games available for some reason. I don't understand why they are different, as it still logs in through my TDS account.

Not sure, I don't have an xbox so no help there. Like others have recommended, I would seriously consider purchasing a Chromecast or Firestick. Either of those will remedy your issues.

I would like to know if there is a casting box that didn't require internet access. Not sure why they have to have internet access unless they just want to monitor what you are watching. There are times when my family goes places where we do not have access to the internet and it would be nice to be able to download some movies ahead of time and watch them in those remote locations. I get needing to have internet for streaming but I can't understand why you need it to stream content from your device.

VN Store

Back