Settlers of Catan

My brother has the board game. We play when the family gets together. My oldest daughter, 12, beat us both this summer. She grinned for the next 24 hours.

He has the sea based expansion as well.

Reactions: 1 person
My brother has the board game. We play when the family gets together. My oldest daughter, 12, beat us both this summer. She grinned for the next 24 hours.

He has the sea based expansion as well.

My boys have the board game but haven't played it yet. We love Risk, though. When I was a kid we could play Axis and Allies for two days straight.

My boys have the board game but haven't played it yet. We love Risk, though. When I was a kid we could play Axis and Allies for two days straight.

if you like risk, there's a decent chance you'll like this game. much quicker game in general.

less "combat", but the strategy is pretty fun. Many different strategies that can potentially win

I still need to get the expansion packs now that I have my own board game. Usually play with aunts/uncles around the holidays that have the expansions.

Catan is a gateway game, and by that I mean it's a bridge between classic American mechanics and European -style board games.

Historically, American-style games rely on some sort of luck element (dice roll, spinner, etc) while European-style games reward strategy and foresight.

Catan is really good, and the expansions make the game more fun and challenging. If you find yourself looking for more games in that realm, Ticket To Ride is another good one (and easy to learn).

Beyond that, I recommend Puerto Rico, as it really starts to eliminate random events from the gameplay and also introduces round-based playing mechanics.

I used to love to play Risk when I was a kid, and my teenage daughter has mentioned how much fun this game was after playing it at a friend's house. I may have to check it out.

Makes more sense if you've played the game

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-thbQlaMIc[/youtube]

VN Store

Back