Raise Your Hand If You Watch HGTV

VolnJC

I've always enjoyed their shows...I had no idea that it was so popular though...they are HQed in Knoxville aren't they?

The escapist appeal of looking at other people’s beautiful homes turned Home & Garden Television into the third most-watched cable network in 2016, ahead of CNN and behind only Fox News and ESPN. Riding HGTV’s reality shows, parent company Scripps Networks Interactive Inc. has seen its shares rise more than 30 percent this year, outperforming bigger rivals like Walt Disney Co., 21st Century Fox Inc. and Viacom Inc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...er-upset-you-how-the-network-beat-cnn-in-2016

I will watch Fixer Upper if I notice it's on (love Chip and Joanna), but I don't watch it anything like I used to.

I'd rather watch Chopped or Guy's Grocery Games on Food Network.

I've always enjoyed their shows...I had no idea that it was so popular though...they are HQed in Knoxville aren't they?

The escapist appeal of looking at other people’s beautiful homes turned Home & Garden Television into the third most-watched cable network in 2016, ahead of CNN and behind only Fox News and ESPN. Riding HGTV’s reality shows, parent company Scripps Networks Interactive Inc. has seen its shares rise more than 30 percent this year, outperforming bigger rivals like Walt Disney Co., 21st Century Fox Inc. and Viacom Inc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...er-upset-you-how-the-network-beat-cnn-in-2016
They were idk if they still are though. I like house hunters (all of them). Seeing the different architecture is nice because I don't like cookie cutter houses.

I like Flip or Flop... Tariq and Christina.... such a sweet couple and so happy together.

Reactions: 4 people
Back when we had cable it my wife's background channel of choice. Not gonna lie, it was entertaining.

Ive got the App on my AppleTV and can log in with my moms cable account but it's not something we do often. About 2-3 times a year she will want to watch something on there. Usually it's an episode of house hunters.

Scripps Networks started out as part of Scripps-Howard Broadcasting which was a subsidiary of the E.W. Scripps Company which was headquartered in Cincinnati. HGTV was launched within SHB, they grew and launched the DIY Network using a lot of recycled HGTV programming. Then they bought controlling interest of the Food Network with the Tribune Company (WGN) holding on to a significant percentage of the Food Network partnership. Scripps launched the Fine Living Network out of California which failed and became the Cooking Channel by repurposing a lot of the Food Network's programming. Later the Travel Channel and Great American Country (GAC) were acquired by Scripps Networks. Scripps Networks bought Shop At Home and took a bath on it... sold the pieces for maybe $75,000,000 on about a billion dollar purchase. SN wasted a ton of money buying websites and other tech ventures in the days of the dot-com-bubble. They lost a billion or more on a British web site that switched/signed up utility customers. Basically SNI/SHB hit a home run by launching HGTV, did well with Food, and has been hitting singles and striking out ever since. They now own a large television group in Poland. The parent in Cincy also owned cable TV systems (called TeleScripps at one point), divested those when they launched HGTV, and made the strategic decision to focus on creating content rather than program delivery (cable TV systems).

SNI is controlled by the Scripps family. The last of the third generation died off several years ago and that opened the door for a potential sale to a Disney or a Discovery Communications. But the family has resisted selling to an outside entity.

HGTV started out as a piss ant part of the E.W. Scripps Company but quickly grew into Scripps Networks Interactive and became several times larger than the rest of EWS. EWS owned about a dozen local affiliates of national TV networks, about 3 dozen newspapers, and a newspaper syndication operation. SNI and EWS split into two entities about 10 years ago... both publicly traded but both also completely controlled by super voting shares of a class of stock held by the Scripps family members and trusts.

Scripps Networks Interactive moved their corporate headquarters from Cincinnati to Knoxville soon after the split from EWS. They also have a big footprint in NYC as that is where the Food Network was built.

SNI ended up in Knoxville when the HGTV idea was funded and the original management group went around the country signing up small television production companies to create programming for HGTV. Ross Bagwell had launched a company called Cinetel Productions in Knoxville years earlier. They produced programming for several other cable networks and advertising agencies. Their biggest piece was Club Dance which was a daily program on The Nashville Network. Shade Tree Mechanic was another big production at Cinetel. The HGTV executives liked Knoxville and Cinetel so much that they negotiated a total buyout from Bagwell for about $20,000,000. They got everything for the $20mm... the equipment, employees, office building and studios, and what turned out to be pretty valuable programming with Club Dance and the rest. They were in an interesting position of competing with other cable networks and also having them as customers by licensing them the programming that they owned (TNN paid HGTV/Scripps/Cinetel to produce Club Dance) for many years after the launch of HGTV in Knoxville.

Bagwell's daughter Dee married Jimmy Haslam. Bagwell launched a company similar to Cinetel and Dee now runs it... also out of Knoxville. It was originally called Ross Productions and is now called RIVR Media.

Ken Lowe is the Scripps employee that had the idea for HGTV when he was running the radio division of Scripps Howard. He's been in charge ever since. He attended UNC and is a good friend of Rick Dees. Rick Dees is a nationally syndicated radio show host that first came to fame with the song Disco Duck.

So you can actually connect the dots from a 1970s novelty song, the beginnings of HGTV, and Jimmy Haslam.

Reactions: 1 person
I will watch Fixer Upper if I notice it's on (love Chip and Joanna), but I don't watch it anything like I used to.

I'd rather watch Chopped or Guy's Grocery Games on Food Network.

I watch both FN and HGTV.

House Hunters
Island Hunters
Flip Or Flop might not survive much longer but we'll have to wait and see.
Fixer Upper
Property Brothers
Love It Or List It

I see them all every now and then.

Triple G, Triple D
Chopped
Cutthroat Kitchen
Next FN Star
Iron Chef
Beat Bobby Flay

I watch both FN and HGTV.

House Hunters
Island Hunters
Flip Or Flop might not survive much longer but we'll have to wait and see.
Fixer Upper
Property Brothers
Love It Or List It

I see them all every now and then.

Triple G, Triple D
Chopped
Cutthroat Kitchen
Next FN Star
Iron Chef
Beat Bobby Flay

If they are smart they will turn it into an hour show Flip with Tarek and Flop with Christina :)

I'll watch House Hunters by myself. Occasionally watch Fixer Upper and Property Brothers with the Mrs. It's a better channel than most.

Scripps Networks started out as part of Scripps-Howard Broadcasting which was a subsidiary of the E.W. Scripps Company which was headquartered in Cincinnati. HGTV was launched within SHB, they grew and launched the DIY Network using a lot of recycled HGTV programming. Then they bought controlling interest of the Food Network with the Tribune Company (WGN) holding on to a significant percentage of the Food Network partnership. Scripps launched the Fine Living Network out of California which failed and became the Cooking Channel by repurposing a lot of the Food Network's programming. Later the Travel Channel and Great American Country (GAC) were acquired by Scripps Networks. Scripps Networks bought Shop At Home and took a bath on it... sold the pieces for maybe $75,000,000 on about a billion dollar purchase. SN wasted a ton of money buying websites and other tech ventures in the days of the dot-com-bubble. They lost a billion or more on a British web site that switched/signed up utility customers. Basically SNI/SHB hit a home run by launching HGTV, did well with Food, and has been hitting singles and striking out ever since. They now own a large television group in Poland. The parent in Cincy also owned cable TV systems (called TeleScripps at one point), divested those when they launched HGTV, and made the strategic decision to focus on creating content rather than program delivery (cable TV systems).

SNI is controlled by the Scripps family. The last of the third generation died off several years ago and that opened the door for a potential sale to a Disney or a Discovery Communications. But the family has resisted selling to an outside entity.

HGTV started out as a piss ant part of the E.W. Scripps Company but quickly grew into Scripps Networks Interactive and became several times larger than the rest of EWS. EWS owned about a dozen local affiliates of national TV networks, about 3 dozen newspapers, and a newspaper syndication operation. SNI and EWS split into two entities about 10 years ago... both publicly traded but both also completely controlled by super voting shares of a class of stock held by the Scripps family members and trusts.

Scripps Networks Interactive moved their corporate headquarters from Cincinnati to Knoxville soon after the split from EWS. They also have a big footprint in NYC as that is where the Food Network was built.

SNI ended up in Knoxville when the HGTV idea was funded and the original management group went around the country signing up small television production companies to create programming for HGTV. Ross Bagwell had launched a company called Cinetel Productions in Knoxville years earlier. They produced programming for several other cable networks and advertising agencies. Their biggest piece was Club Dance which was a daily program on The Nashville Network. Shade Tree Mechanic was another big production at Cinetel. The HGTV executives liked Knoxville and Cinetel so much that they negotiated a total buyout from Bagwell for about $20,000,000. They got everything for the $20mm... the equipment, employees, office building and studios, and what turned out to be pretty valuable programming with Club Dance and the rest. They were in an interesting position of competing with other cable networks and also having them as customers by licensing them the programming that they owned (TNN paid HGTV/Scripps/Cinetel to produce Club Dance) for many years after the launch of HGTV in Knoxville.

Bagwell's daughter Dee married Jimmy Haslam. Bagwell launched a company similar to Cinetel and Dee now runs it... also out of Knoxville. It was originally called Ross Productions and is now called RIVR Media.

Ken Lowe is the Scripps employee that had the idea for HGTV when he was running the radio division of Scripps Howard. He's been in charge ever since. He attended UNC and is a good friend of Rick Dees. Rick Dees is a nationally syndicated radio show host that first came to fame with the song Disco Duck.

So you can actually connect the dots from a 1970s novelty song, the beginnings of HGTV, and Jimmy Haslam.

Odd addendum to the story, Dee's brother Ross, Jr is buried near my grandparents. Their family plot is centered around a statue of an organ grinder and a monkey that actually has a nice story with it.

Here's a good drinking game.

Watch House Hunters and take a slug every time says "oh wow". Take 2 slugs every time someone says "I really wanted: a) granite counter tops, or b) white (dark) cabinets, or c) hardwood floors". Chug when a 20-something couple is buying their first house and they're budget is at least 3x of what you paid for your first house.

Reactions: 4 people

Watch House Hunters and take a slug every time says "oh wow". Take 2 slugs every time someone says "I really wanted: a) granite counter tops, or b) white (dark) cabinets, or c) hardwood floors". Chug when a 20-something couple is buying their first house and they're budget is at least 3x of what you paid for your first house.

Another slug when they say something is "tight."

The 2015 Urban Oasis house is a block and a half from ours. :rock: (I like ours more, but they have a double lot, dammit)

Another slug when they say something is "tight."

The 2015 Urban Oasis house is a block and a half from ours. :rock: (I like ours more, but they have a double lot, dammit)

Yeah, I bought an extra lot too...more space but basically just means I have to pay more yearly property taxes and have to mow an extra 30 minutes a week

I love to see this thread! I'll just say that my paycheck is directly affected by people watching HGTV, DIY and GAC.
There's a show coming soon in HGTV called "Home Town" that you will all enjoy. Similar to Chip and Jo dynamic but younger and their focus is Laurel, MS.

Reactions: 2 people
Chug when a 20-something couple is buying their first house and they're budget is at least 3x of what you paid for your first house.

The budget is high but the houses tend to be smaller or about the same size.

We watch house hunters, we each pick a different house we think is going to be picked, and the dog gets the leftover. Somehow the dog seems to win the most!

Used to watch my first home or whatever it was called, but I don't see it on anymore.

I love to see this thread! I'll just say that my paycheck is directly affected by people watching HGTV, DIY and GAC.
There's a show coming soon in HGTV called "Home Town" that you will all enjoy. Similar to Chip and Jo dynamic but younger and their focus is Laurel, MS.

Hey can you get me a job there? I have no talent whatsoever when it comes to remodeling..but I don't mind starting in the mail room or with the clean up crew :)

Off hand I can't think of which channel they are on HGTV or DIY but at my house we like watching...

Barnwood Builders
Rehab Addict

Or if the realtor shows them something about of their budget which creates tension...

VN Store

Back