Home security question

Kingston Vol

Looking online, I'm leaning towards Canary or Scout. Anybody have any opinions of these or other systems?

My old house had ADT already installed. They constantly tried to raise the price every 3-4 months and I would have to call and tell them not to. I kept a land line just for the system but didn't attach a phone to it. Had to tell them repeatedly to call my cell phone for alerts or what have you. Never got a call whenever the alarm was accidentally cut off. Basically it was a big waste of money.

When we moved I decided to go self monitoring. I use a Smarthings hub with various door and motion sensors plus cameras. Can also control lights and tons of stuff I haven't taken the time to set up yet. It stays connected to the internet and pushes notifications to my phone which I can customize how I want/need them. Although I can pay for external monitoring through Scout as well.

I bought SimpliSafe signs on eBay for yard just as a deterrent.

Whyou do you need an alarm? I assume you live in Kingston?

Looking for something to pair with home automation and for the insurance benefits.

Also, every place has knuckleheads who will break in during the middle of the day while you're at work for a TV and Xbox.

My old house had ADT already installed. They constantly tried to raise the price every 3-4 months and I would have to call and tell them not to. I kept a land line just for the system but didn't attach a phone to it. Had to tell them repeatedly to call my cell phone for alerts or what have you. Never got a call whenever the alarm was accidentally cut off. Basically it was a big waste of money.

When we moved I decided to go self monitoring. I use a Smarthings hub with various door and motion sensors plus cameras. Can also control lights and tons of stuff I haven't taken the time to set up yet. It stays connected to the internet and pushes notifications to my phone which I can customize how I want/need them. Although I can pay for external monitoring through Scout as well.

I bought SimpliSafe signs on eBay for yard just as a deterrent.

We have ADT already equipped in our house but I called them and they want to charge $99 for new equipment installation and then $45 a month.

Your first line of defense is your home insurance, the second is an audible alarm system. Get an alarm system but don't tie it to a security company, it's a waste of money on a monthly basis.

I can promise you if they break into your house they will get what they want and the police won't show up in time anyway. They will be gone before the police get there.

Your first line of defense is your home insurance, the second is an audible alarm system. Get an alarm system but don't tie it to a security company, it's a waste of money on a monthly basis.

I can promise you if they break into your house they will get what they want and the police won't show up in time anyway. They will be gone before the police get there.

Probably right. That's why Canary seems to make the most sense to me. It's basically a security camera that, when it detects movement or a loud noise, notifies you on your phone. You take a live look-in, then decide from there what the next step is. No monthly fee, either.

Looking for something to pair with home automation and for the insurance benefits.

Also, every place has knuckleheads who will break in during the middle of the day while you're at work for a TV and Xbox.

I resent that reference. I have Guardzilla. I will notify when there is movement. Although I don't turn it on much. I have a Pit that is pretty intimidating. Do you live in a rural, urban, or suburban setting? That would be how I would determine which to go with.

We once had an alarm that was on a suspicious door, in hindsight probably caused by my dog jumping at it with the other French door not latched at top and bottom. My company called me and then the cops immediately. I beat them home from downtown Knoxville (25+ minutes). So, yeah, a loud audible alarm and intimidating dog are probably more effective, as the whole neighborhood can hear ours!

What home automation set up are you already using?

Probably right. That's why Canary seems to make the most sense to me. It's basically a security camera that, when it detects movement or a loud noise, notifies you on your phone. You take a live look-in, then decide from there what the next step is. No monthly fee, either.

If you're local you might look into HIS Security. These guys can install an entire wireless system or they may be able to utilize the old ADT system already installed in your home. They have some cool gadgets and smartphone apps that allow you to control the system remotely. Last I checked they will do installs and give you the option of whether to monitor or not.

HIS Security, LLC | Smart Home Technology Knoxville

Last edited:
I have the Ring Pro and a Stick up cam. Love the Pro, the cam is so-so for me. Like that I can have a conversation with anyone that might be at the door from wherever I am.

Yeah, I watching delivery guys dropping off packages and my daughter's bedroom is right by our front door, so it gives me comfort knowing it will go off if someone comes near her window. I have freaked out solicitors when I talk to them remotely

Reactions: 1 person
Looking online, I'm leaning towards Canary or Scout. Anybody have any opinions of these or other systems?

Stay away from Lowe's iris system, it is a nightmare to install. Have heard good things about the home Depot system. I don't remember the name.

Whyou do you need an alarm? I assume you live in Kingston?

Kingston ain't Mayberry.
They kill people their just like anywhere, just more bizzarely.

Walk right in front door a murder two women playing scrabble.

Houston Brothers Roane County, killed a deputy and ride along serving a warrant, claiming self defense.

A depuy was shot and killed at the courthouse.

A sherriff went to jail for dealing confiscated drugs.

A judge went to jail for extortion and money laundering.

It isn't like you can leave your car and front door unlocked anymore.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back