Smaller Acoustic Guitar Help

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
My son has expressed interest in learning to play. He has done well on the piano after about three years of lessons. He's a pretty small guy still, so I'm looking at 3/4 or 7/8 guitars. Anyone have experience or favorites with the mini fiddles?

The Taylor GS mini gets great reviews, but it isn't cheap for a starter. I'm worried about the baby Taylor or Little Martin sounding like toys.

Get him a mandolin

Already have one myself and I can't play it for crap. Wish I would have gotten a banjo with my wild string hair.

Mandos are cool, but they are really a niche instrument, best when accompanied by guitar et al. Plus the crazy tuning is entirely different from the guitar, bass, uke, etc.

I don't want to go crazy, but as a semi-decent musician, I also don't want to throw money away in a crap instrument that won't allow him to really enjoy the aural bliss of creating music.

He can always grow into my guitars, and the little Taylor might be cool to travel with...

Baby Taylor is impressive. Big sound and easy to play! Have him try one

I don't want to go crazy, but as a semi-decent musician, I also don't want to throw money away in a crap instrument that won't allow him to really enjoy the aural bliss of creating music.

He can always grow into my guitars, and the little Taylor might be cool to travel with...

The Martin LX1E gets rave reviews. Ed Sheeran plays it in his shows. $439 @ Guitar Center...for an extra hundred you can get the ES signature edition (I wouldn't).

I was very close to pulling the trigger on one for my son for Christmas (Xbox One S + games + accessories won out). Maybe for his b-day... If he doesn't take to it, I'd like it.

In hindsight I'd have spent more on a nice parlor guitar that I would enjoy playing.

I bought the Jim Dandy Gretsch and the neck is thicker than my full sized and has poor quality tuning pegs.

I bought my son a baby Taylor a few years ago and he loves it. Sounds great and is also a good instrument to travel with... perfect size imo.

OK, so I have demoed the BT, Martin LX1e, and GS Mini...

The BT and Martin are very similar: thin tone, no bass resonance, very lightweight, no pick guard, dinky tuners, but surprisingly playable. Really, I think the difference is which name you prefer on the headstock. I did not plug them in, but I'm sure you could get a bigger sound with some EQ and modulation (see: Sheeran).

The GS Mini really blew me away. Granted, it is larger than the BT and LM, but it's still parlor size while sounding very much like a full-bodied guitar. The mahogany model produced a pleasing warm tone, while plenty bright on the higher strings and frets. It also seemed to handle the capo better and had upgraded tuners (still a little on the cheap-feeling side for a $500-600 guitar, imo).

My son seems pretty eager, so I think I'll take the plunge for the GS. Worst case scenario: he gives it up and I have it for another kid or my own travel use. I would happily play it; probably not on the BT or LM.

Reactions: 1 person
OK, so I have demoed the BT, Martin LX1e, and GS Mini...

The BT and Martin are very similar: thin tone, no bass resonance, very lightweight, no pick guard, dinky tuners, but surprisingly playable. Really, I think the difference is which name you prefer on the headstock. I did not plug them in, but I'm sure you could get a bigger sound with some EQ and modulation (see: Sheeran).

The GS Mini really blew me away. Granted, it is larger than the BT and LM, but it's still parlor size while sounding very much like a full-bodied guitar. The mahogany model produced a pleasing warm tone, while plenty bright on the higher strings and frets. It also seemed to handle the capo better and had upgraded tuners (still a little on the cheap-feeling side for a $500-600 guitar, imo).

My son seems pretty eager, so I think I'll take the plunge for the GS. Worst case scenario: he gives it up and I have it for another kid or my own travel use. I would happily play it; probably not on the BT or LM.

I don't think you can wrong with any of the 3. Let us know how works out.

Get a Fender classical guitar, probably under $150. Encourage learning classical songs. Master a few songs and literally everything else guitar wise becomes pretty simple.

My son has expressed interest in learning to play. He has done well on the piano after about three years of lessons. He's a pretty small guy still, so I'm looking at 3/4 or 7/8 guitars. Anyone have experience or favorites with the mini fiddles?

The Taylor GS mini gets great reviews, but it isn't cheap for a starter. I'm worried about the baby Taylor or Little Martin sounding like toys.

If you have'nt made a purchase yet I would consider the baby taylor. You can usually find one on craigslist pretty cheap, $100 or so less than retail. They are a good guitar. The scale length is 23" compared to a regular 25 1/2" guitar. The sound isn't that much different from the full size. Taylor makes a good guitar and it has decent resale value.

If you have'nt made a purchase yet I would consider the baby taylor. You can usually find one on craigslist pretty cheap, $100 or so less than retail. They are a good guitar. The scale length is 23" compared to a regular 25 1/2" guitar. The sound isn't that much different from the full size. Taylor makes a good guitar and it has decent resale value.

I went with the GS Mini and am very pleased. The sound is incredible for a smaller guitar and it fits my son's hands well.

I'm a long-time Taylor enthusiast, and my primary weapon is a 614. I borrowed a BT to try, and it felt and played like a toy. Still, not a terrible choice for $300, but the GS Mini blows it away.

Get a pre-war single-aught Martin. It will appreciate in value. If he doesn't take to it or outgrows it, you can sell it for a profit.

Naw, man. Ds are awesome, big-boy guitars made to fill a hall with sound. My early-70s Yamaha FG-580 is a Dreadnaught style said to have been modeled after a Martin D. Mine is not all-original. The bridge and nut have been replaced with hand-crafted bone, lowering the action a bit, and the tuning machines have been replaced with Grovers.

Here's some info about the O-16NY.

For scale, here's a pic of Ian Anderson with his
ian-anderson-martin-new-yorker-guitar.jpg

The O-16NY was the rebirth of the treasured Martin parlor guitars. Produced from the 60s into the 90s, there should be a number of them available.

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I'm a huge fan of the Martin Dreadnought Jr. Like the GS Mini also, but the Dreadnought is solid top back and sides, whereas the GS Mini is laminate back and sides. Laminate is more durable, but solid usually sounds better. Can't go wrong with the GS Mini, though.

Reactions: 2 people
My last advice to you, kiddiedoc would be to enlist the help of an accomplished guitar picker to help you select an O or 3/4 guitar in good condition and having a fine sound. It's a musical instrument. The sound of it means more than the name placed upon it.

Naw, man. Ds are awesome, big-boy guitars made to fill a hall with sound. My early-70s Yamaha FG-580 is a Dreadnaught style said to have been modeled after a Martin D. Mine is not all-original. The bridge and nut have been replaced with hand-crafted bone, lowering the action a bit, and the tuning machines have been replaced with Grovers.

Here's some info about the O-16NY.

For scale, here's a pic of Ian Anderson with his
ian-anderson-martin-new-yorker-guitar.jpg

Just sold my 1971 0-16NY a few months ago. Loved playing fingerstyle with it. Hated to sell it, but I've still got my D-18 to fall back on.

I like the baby Taylor. A friend of mine bought one for his son and I always play it when I visit. It sounds great.

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I'm a huge fan of the Martin Dreadnought Jr. Like the GS Mini also, but the Dreadnought is solid top back and sides, whereas the GS Mini is laminate back and sides. Laminate is more durable, but solid usually sounds better. Can't go wrong with the GS Mini, though.

Thanks for the feedback. I've played on the GS mini a few times already and like it a lot. I bought it as an introduction for my son, and it will serve its purpose well as an introduction to the guitar. Nice action, full tone. He appreciates quality instruments, plays on a nice Yamaha baby grand, and enjoys hearing my Taylor, Ovation, and Fender guitars. I'm trying to teach him to respect and care for what I view as means for creativity and art.

VN Store

Back