Roof Damage

VolStrom

He/Him/Gator Hater
So has anyone else in East Tennessee have their roof get damaged during the storm the other night?

I noticed that some of my shingles were ripped off of my ridge vent and called a few roofing companies and apparently I'm not very important. I'm getting discouraged because I want it fixed and I'm down the list.

Should I call my insurance company?

If you're roof is damaged, there are probably lots of roofs damaged in your area, which is putting the roofing companies behind.

We had a strong hail storm come through our neck of the woods a few years ago. Lots of damage to our siding, gutter, garage door, outside lights and roof. Our neighborhood was then attacked by johnny-come-lately contractors. It was like everyone with a pickup truck magically became a roofer.

Our local Allstate guy was great throughout the process. He encouraged us to get multiple quotes, interview these companies, check the BBB and other online resources, and trust our gut. We did so, and the company we chose did a great job. We even became pretty good friends with the contractor. They upgraded our roof from 3-tab to architectural shingles at no extra charge (he won't even fool with 3-tab). The entire job didn't cost us a dime, and added some value to the house when we went to sell a couple of years later.

Lots of our neighbors got hosed by 1 guy.

When it was all over, Allstate dropped us like a bad habit, lol.

Anyway, yeah, your job is pretty small.

Yeah, they only care if I want to file a claim or not. F'em, I'll just let the roof leak and let them pay to fix the inside as well. Companies are run by absolute idiots anymore. This is there response. "Do you want us to send a claim adjuster out", me "NO I want you to help me get the roof fixed before it trashes my house". Them "We can send a claims adjuster out in a few days". I don't need a claims adjuster, I need someone to fix my roof before it causes major damage.

So, if I don't get someone to repair my roof before the next rain, I'll let it leak, soak the sheetrock in the ceiling, trash everything under it and THEN, they'll help me.

Yeah, they only care if I want to file a claim or not. F'em, I'll just let the roof leak and let them pay to fix the inside as well. Companies are run by absolute idiots anymore. This is there response. "Do you want us to send a claim adjuster out", me "NO I want you to help me get the roof fixed before it trashes my house". Them "We can send a claims adjuster out in a few days". I don't need a claims adjuster, I need someone to fix my roof before it causes major damage.

So, if I don't get someone to repair my roof before the next rain, I'll let it leak, soak the sheetrock in the ceiling, trash everything under it and THEN, they'll help me.

That sounds like a terrible plan, to be honest with you. You gotta tarp?

BTW this is Farm Bureau of TN. I used to like them and have had good service although I've only had a claim through their car insurance. Apparently their home owners insurance sucks.

That sounds like a terrible plan, to be honest with you. You gotta tarp?

I'm over dealing with bureaucrats. I've called companies to get my roof fixed and none have showed up. I called my insurance company for help and they don't care unless I make a claim, and if I do they'll show up in a few days.

I don't care anymore.

Although I hate all insurance companies -- State Farm seemed like the best one honoring claims after a ef4 tornado hit my town 3 years ago --- Allstate and Auto Owners Ins got quite a few complaints publicly

BTW this is Farm Bureau of TN. I used to like them and have had good service although I've only had a claim through their car insurance. Apparently their home owners insurance sucks.

How much is the deductible ?

Sorry to hear about your roof and your hassle. Might want to check your policy for verbiage about protecting your property from further damage. If you don't do anything to minimize further loss, they may not cover it.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry to hear about your roof and your hassle. Might want to check your policy for verbiage about protecting your property from further damage. If you don't do anything to minimize further loss, they may not cover it.

That is exactly why I called them. I don't want them to come back to me if I suffer damage because I can't get my roof fixed before it causes more damage. I asked the dumb ass if the call was being recorded and she said yes. So we'll see.

^^This. In fact, I'm gonna say that, if you don't do anything to minimize further loss, I can almost assure you they're not gonna cover it.

Dude, insurance companies could get hosed daily doing what you want.

Insurance co: "Thought it was just 'a few' shingles to replace".

Volstrom: "Yeah, that's all I saw from the ground. But Ol' Son's Roofing Co. said I needed a whole new one"!

^^This. In fact, I'm gonna say that, if you don't do anything to minimize further loss, I can almost assure you they're not gonna cover it.

What would you have me do? I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm not climbing on a 9/12 pitch roof to nail down shingles anymore. I called roofing companies to fix it, I called my insurance company to ask for help.

I have a $1000 deductible. I don't don't care to pay someone to fix it, I just want it fixed.

Best to let the claims adjuster look at it -- my moms had a 'few shingles' blow off from the tornado and they put a whole new roof on anyway

Best to let the claims adjuster look at it -- my moms had a 'few shingles' blow off from the tornado and they put a whole new roof on anyway

Insurance companies aren't that generous anymore. After the last tornado blew through here, insurance companies decided that they were going to prorate roofs. I guessing they'll give me 10 cents on the dollar for a 9 year old roof.

The best thing to do is let a guy from out of town fix your roof .. Make sure you give them the money up front in cash

I know this is long but please read and be ware:

If you have Allstate insurance, fire them.*

They did not attempt to make contact with me for over 24 hours after I reported my claim. I had to go through the process of having to contact them. Meanwhile, my State Farm insured neighbor had restoration units sent here from Knoxville within hours of daybreak the morning of the tornado.

When I did speak to someone from Allstate, it was someone who could connect me with someone who could connect me with someone else to schedule an appointment for an inspector to come later this week. After laughing at the reduncdancy, I finally spoke with the person to connect me with the other person to have my appointment scheduled.

When I spoke with my claims "handler" the next day, I let her know I wasn't happy with the service I had been afforded. I let her know about my neighbor's service with State Farm. She then tells me that the people I can clearly see working on my neighbor's house about 100 feet from my driveway aren't really there, that basically I was lying about people being there. I told her they were contractors sent here by State Farm, she said they were not State Farm employees, insulting my intelligence as if I don't already know State Farm doesn't actually perform the repairs.

So now this lady had not only called me a liar, but has also called me stupid.

She then tells me she will call me back sometime Monday to go over what my inspector found at my late afternoon appointment. I tell her I don't want her associated with my claim any further and I wished for a new claims "handler." She says Ok, and my phone goes dead because she hung up on me.

I immediatley called Allstate back lodging several complaints with anyone and everyone who would hear me out. I now have a new person assigned to me.

Finally my inspector shows up. It took them 2 days to get someone on my property and they wouldn't have even been here had I not called them to remind them that I still exist.

I'll be switching all my insurance lines in the next few days after I get things put back together. I would also highly encourage anyone else insured with Allstate to do the same or at least highly consider doing so.*

I finally have a plan to move forward now with my repairs. This is the biggest relief, but it shouldn't have had to come to this.

Call your agent and establish a claim. That way you are protected in case of subsequent damage. if there are wide spread problems, you may not get immediate gratification but at least in the eyes of the insurance company you are attempting to mitigate the damage. Your insurance agent may also have the names of some reputable contractors that will be more responsive if they know you are working through the agent.

Have them send a claims adjuster out. What's your issue with that? They won't charge you unless they actually pay to have it repaired. You need to get it documented or as others have said, it may not get covered as you failed to mitigate your damages.

Call your agent and establish a claim. That way you are protected in case of subsequent damage. if there are wide spread problems, you may not get immediate gratification but at least in the eyes of the insurance company you are attempting to mitigate the damage. Your insurance agent may also have the names of some reputable contractors that will be more responsive if they know you are working through the agent.

It's not always best to file a claim. Especially, if it is minor damages. Once a claim is filed the claim is always on your record. Which isn't a big deal, but if you file another couple of claims the insurance company may cancel you. And then trying to get insurance is tough as you look like a high risk insured. Your agent should be able to help you get a roofer out to look at your home.

VN Store

Back