Is DirecTV Now A Game Changer?

VolnJC

I'm a cord cutter but I think I'm going to take them up on this deal. Right now if you prepay for 3 months, you can get the Go Big package (60 dollars) for 35 month plus an Apple TV (series 4 150 dollar value) with no commitment. The one thing that worries me is right now Charter doesn't throttle me or charge me if I use too much data...that probably won't last with more people streaming.

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-channels-compared/
zsyz9xdbyepl0acieoxj.png

Last edited:
I cancelled Directv and went to sling tv today. Have Netflix, HBO now, and Hulu. With my Internet I'm paying right at $100 a month total for everything. Saving $120 a month. Feelsgoodman

I cancelled Directv and went to sling tv today. Have Netflix, HBO now, and Hulu. With my Internet I'm paying right at $100 a month total for everything. Saving $120 a month. Feelsgoodman

my father in law can only get DSL where he lives and just got SlingTV, it ran pretty well on their Roku. I liked it, I was sure it would buffer with the slower speed but it never did.

I don't understand all the cord cutter hype. I have Time Warner cable and internet, and it's $120 a month for everything. I get Showtime, HBO, SECN, and while I don't know the specs of my speed and all that, it's good enough to power my PS3, PS4, iPad, and MacBook all at the same time.

What do you guys with $200+ cable bills have that I don't? I feel like I'm missing something...

Sling is where it's at. For the basic plan you get all you need for $20. Upgrade for $5 and get SEC network and more sports channels than you know what to do with.

DSL (10 Mbps sigh...) Firestick 29.99 one time. Kodi, Free USTVnow account for live networks - CBS, NBC, FOX. Kodi + phoenix (friends use gorilla) for recorded tv shows, movies, etc. And a friends cable info for use with apps like ESPN to stream sports. If I had faster internet I would be golden. It buffers some. Mainly when my young'n gets on the computer.

DSL (10 Mbps sigh...) Firestick 29.99 one time. Kodi, Free USTVnow account for live networks - CBS, NBC, FOX. Kodi + phoenix (friends use gorilla) for recorded tv shows, movies, etc. And a friends cable info for use with apps like ESPN to stream sports. If I had faster internet I would be golden. It buffers some. Mainly when my young'n gets on the computer.

wow my DSL is a whopping 3mgs :) i am out in the sticks though,it was a wonderful thing when it finally came thru several years ago

I turned off direct TV a little over a year ago,I don't miss the bill at all,it had gotten to around 90 bucks,I do miss local TV stations,can't pick up Knoxville wroth a crap,in the hollar i live in :)

I do miss some TV shows,but get a lot of them that I watch for free off of PrimeWire | 1Channel | LetMeWatchThis - Watch TV Shows Online Free - Just Added for free,beware the pop ups though :),I probably should go to net flicks instead of them,but it is hard to beat free lol

I bought one of those small HD antennas and it will pull in some PBS stations,I need to get it up another 20 to 40 feet and see if i can pull in some TV stations from Knoxville

I love Kodi...have you been able to get it on your home screen? I always have to go to the "manage installed apps" menu to pull it up....which sucks cause I downloaded it from Amazon...it wasn't even sideloaded.

They're all great out of the gate, the honeymoon ends pretty quick when the system develops issues and you find out the customer service is outsourced, unmotivated, and is low budget compared to advertising.

Reactions: 1 person
TDS has me by the balls, only offering the high speed FiOp internet service to TV customers.

You may need to upgrade your wireless router to an ac router.

I don't understand all the cord cutter hype. I have Time Warner cable and internet, and it's $120 a month for everything. I get Showtime, HBO, SECN, and while I don't know the specs of my speed and all that, it's good enough to power my PS3, PS4, iPad, and MacBook all at the same time.

What do you guys with $200+ cable bills have that I don't? I feel like I'm missing something...

I have all you have and pay lass than $100 a month.

I have all you have and pay lass than $100 a month.

Yea but is the extra ($20?) worth all the headache? I mean, I still have to pay Time Warner for internet. There's no getting around that. So now I have to keep up with all those other subscriptions and accounts for what...$20 or $30?

That just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

You have be on a 1st year promo. Otherwise, there is now way that you are getting all of that cable and Internet for $120

We've gotten our bill under $90/mo from the previous $150 (will go lower once football ends) and miss nothing by getting rid of cable. My Internet is 200/50 and most devices are hardwired in my house

As for operating the setup, my 5yo uses an old iPhone as his remote and has zero issues. I've logged in to each service once and never had to do it again unless adding a new device. Payment is auto

Not sure this is a "gamechanger" since it doesn't seem to offer much more to the market than the others. Nice to have more options though

Yea but is the extra ($20?) worth all the headache? I mean, I still have to pay Time Warner for internet. There's no getting around that. So now I have to keep up with all those other subscriptions and accounts for what...$20 or $30?

That just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Zero trouble. It automatically comes out of my account each month.

You have be on a 1st year promo. Otherwise, there is now way that you are getting all of that cable and Internet for $120

Na I've had the same deal going on 3 years now.

Last edited:
DirecTV = $70
Biz internet line = $50 (employer pays other half)
HBO Now = shared
Showtime Anytime/Starz = $15
CBS All Access = $8
Hulu = shared
Netflix = shared
Amazon Prime = $?

If there is truly no obligation it sounds worth it just for the Apple TV. Cancel after 3 months and you just got an Apple TV for $45 off.

VN Store

Back