Anyone dealing with epilepsy?

AllVols

Use Caution
Long story short, my oldest son is starting to have what looks to be epileptic type seizures, he's 9. I've been to epilepsy.com and have been doing some research. He's going to the Dr's today so I should know more later. Needless to say I'm a nervous wreck.
I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with it and... Just any tips and things I can do to help my son. PM is you would rather share that way.
Thanks

My wife was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. She has been seizure free for 51 days taking keppra. Prayers for your son and family.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks same for you and yours. May I ask a question? "keppra" any side effects for her?

I assume he is having an EEG and seeing a Neurologist? The newer antiepileptic drugs generally have fewer/less-pronounced side effects than some of the older ones. I pray he gets the help he needs.

Thanks same for you and yours. May I ask a question? "keppra" any side effects for her?

Keppra generally has a more favorable side effect profile compared to some of the other anticonvulsants. Having said that, it depends on his specific type of seizure disorder as to what medication they are likely to start with.

Last edited:
I assume he is having an EEG and seeing a Neurologist? The newer antiepileptic drugs generally have fewer/less-pronounced side effects than some of the older ones. I pray he gets the help he needs.

Yes, we saw his primary Dr at noon today and that's what she ended up ordering and setting up a visit to a Neurologist after they do a bunch of test.

I just want to say thanks to all that have responded to this. As a father it's not easy to watch your child go though something like this. I feel helpless to say the least.

No info from me but I wanted to let my thoughts and hope you get it figured out. Definitely not the same but both my sons have both experienced febrile seizures and that really shook me. You want to fix everything for them but things still happen that scare the heck out of you.

Prayers my friend. I don't know much about them, but as a parent I can imagine how you feel.

Look into cannibis oil.

Wouldn't consider that a starting point. Research studies haven't been conclusive thus far. Have had a few patients that it appears to have improved though. Does carry a few drug-drug interactions and long term safety has question marks.

A ketogenic diet can be very helpful for seizure disorders and is used by some as a first line treatment to try and avoid drugs. It is by no means an easy diet to maintain though, and I'm not sure if there are any long term health concerns associated with it. Routine blood work would be a good idea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/

I had a seizure 2 years ago, not a hint of one since. All the doctors said it appears to be just an isolated incident that anyone might experience.

I am on Keppra, though. No apparent side effects.

Keppra works great for my dad. He's been an epileptic since before I was born. He had seizure problems during my childhood because the meds sucked. Since Keppra came out, he rarely has them anymore. It's mostly when his scripts get complicated.

A ketogenic diet can be very helpful for seizure disorders and is used by some as a first line treatment to try and avoid drugs. It is by no means an easy diet to maintain though, and I'm not sure if there are any long term health concerns associated with it. Routine blood work would be a good idea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/

Drink prodigious amounts of water, as ketogenic diets can be tough on the kidneys.

Some doctors will tell you it's too dangerous, but you can reduce the risks if you act sensibly.

My aunt was epilectic passed away in the 80's. I remember as kids it scared the crap outta us, we didn't know what was happening. I think it's important to explain to kids in the family whats happening and why.

VN Store

Back