Hurricane Matthew
Category: 4
Wind: 140mph
Pressure: 939mb
Moving NW 14mph

Storm surge estimates:
Miami Beach - 1-3 FT
West Palm Beach - 4-6 FT
Melbourne beach, Daytona beach, Jacksonville beach, Saint Simon island up to Charleston - 7-11 FT

-1750 US flights canceled: 1403 in Florida
-GA: contraflow travel now on I-16
-Amtrak has suspended trains in southeast
-Disneyworld and all of it's properties in Orlando to close at 5pm ET and will remain closed through tomorrow.(Only the 4th time the park has closed since 1971)

So do hurricanes only make land when it's an election year?

We've got so many posters that are in harms' way. Such a helpless feeling. One of our outside sales guys in Boca just checked in. I've never been through anything on this scale. A few tornados and a blizzard is the craziest weather I've experienced. Nothing compared to this.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm riding this bad boy out in the bunker that is my office at the airport. Orlando International isn't shutting down but by 6:30 pm flights in and out are pretty much kaput until Saturday, late Friday at the best.

I just hope when its over and I go home my house is ok!

Reactions: 3 people
Those not evacuating are foolish. Hopefully most come to their senses before it's too late. I have family in Cocoa Beach that are being stubborn about it. The storm surge is going to be outrageous.

We justify the choice to not evacuate by using words like "stubborn" or "crazy", but the truth is, those who don't evacuate are putting others (emergency personnel) at an unnecessary risk. That's irresponsible, and they should be ashamed.

We justify the choice to not evacuate by using words like "stubborn" or "crazy", but the truth is, those who don't evacuate are putting others (emergency personnel) at an unnecessary risk. That's irresponsible, and they should be ashamed.

Absolutely.

It also costs a lot of money to get up and get out. and plenty of people who evacuated other times came back to find themselves robbed or find their property destroyed in an avoidable situation, and won't make that mistake again. Some people are thinking they will be fine and they have survived worse, some probably have. sure some are probably just too stubborn to leave or have an attachment to their home that you don't understand. Others are probably wanting to take advantage of it and others think the government should do it all for them.

but yeah lets just pretend they are all stubborn thrill seekers who want to watch others suffer so they don't have to be troubled to get up and go.

imo the emergency personnel shouldn't have to put themselves in danger during the storm, but afterwards they have a job to do.

This is a tough situation for everyone, to leave or not, like mentioned putting others at risk vs having the chance of being robbed. It's just bad all the way around. Praying for all of you guys down there.

The toll roads were free this morning (and still are) and to be honest I saw very little traffic heading west and I live on the east side of Orlando. The coast is about to get rocked hard.

It's not necessarily stubborn. It's that these storms have taken turns and nothing has happened. So you spent the time and money to evacuate for nothing. I don't look at it that way, but I know some do.

My parents did not evacuate us in Charleston for hugo, and things were fine. We evacuated another time, but our neighbors didn't and things were fine. They aren't leaving this time. And unfortunately until something awful happens, the we will be okay mentality will stick around.

I'm riding this bad boy out in the bunker that is my office at the airport. Orlando International isn't shutting down but by 6:30 pm flights in and out are pretty much kaput until Saturday, late Friday at the best.

I just hope when its over and I go home my house is ok!

Me too, buddy.

Lots of friends / colleagues in Jax, Fla (beach area). Really hoping for their best

Ill get some gnarly video/pics probably in the next two days if I am awake. Will post.

Told us to "work from home" tomorrow. Unlikely to get much here by I'll take it

I'll film from the top of Orlando International..ain't nothing but radio antenna's to worry about up there!

Nothing but those long, javelin-like antennas.:crazy:

Last edited:
Add my dad to the list of idiots. He lives adjacent to I95 in Daytona, but is riding out the storm at his girlfriends on the 19th floor of beach front high rise.

VN Store

Back