Anyone ever had lasik eye surgery?

Berry4Heisman14

VOL til death
Contemplating getting lasik in both of my eyes. If anyone here has had it done what was it like? Your results, any side effects?

I have. The biggest thing to know is people have different results and reactions, so it is hard to compare. My aunt, myself, and one of my coworkers all went to the same doctor.

My aunt - Afterwards she said her eyes burned, but she was able to sleep it off, wake up and see a couple hours later. She had to use eye drops after and still uses them I believe. I think she has said she see halos from time to time? I don't.

My coworker - she didn't feel any burning and was fine. She also had to use quite a bit of eye drops, not sure if she still does.

Myself - Quite different. My eyes burned afterwards and I was trying to go to sleep (they tell you to do so after surgery, sleep off the burn and when you wake up you can see). Well I fortunately/unfortunately do not have dry eyes. Afterwards, my eyes were tearing up so badly because of the burning, it would not stop, so falling asleep was impossible and I felt the burn for awhile. Luckily I have rarely had to use any eye drops, only used the required medical ones they required (quite expensive for a teeny tiny bottle).

The bad for me, was that I have a great immune system and my eyes overhealed as they called it. They actually healed too quickly from the surgery and my eye sight regressed in one of my eyes (I can't remember which one). This was not immediate, this was a couple months later. It really never hurt my overall vision though because my other eye stepped up and allowed me to see clearly, it was just when trying to use the one eye on the tests that I did not do so well. Once my eye site stopped changing in the one eye, they did PRK.

I am now 20/20 and have been since the surgery. I would still do it again going through all of this. I said it before I had it, if I could have 1 year without glasses and contacts, I would do it in a heartbeat.

No issues here. I had it done about four years ago. Eyes dry the first day but had to put in wet drops every 15 mins to half hour per the doctor. After a couple days of dry they went back to normal.

Went from glasses -5.5 vision to 20/20. Waited due to the cost but now wish I had done it much earlier. I could see so much clearer than I have ever in my life.

So the overall consensus is that it's definitely worth it? I've got bad anxiety so I've been a little skeptical terrified something will go wrong and I'll be blind

Not everyone can get it. My wife looked into it but her corneas were not thick enough to safely do it.

So the overall consensus is that it's definitely worth it? I've got bad anxiety so I've been a little skeptical terrified something will go wrong and I'll be blind

Yep, we'll worth it. I believe I am 4 years in as well. Love being able to wake up and see the clock! My eyes were bad, couldn't see the E.

8 years post op. Best money I've ever spent. I was 20/600 before surgery, 20/15 after. Over the past year, I've noticed a little regression in my vision, but I can still test 20/20 although it's not crystal clear and my left eye alone is 20/25. What I've saved in contacts and glasses has probably paid for the surgery at this point. Now, I use my frame allotment to order a new pair of Oakleys every year.

I did it 13-15 yrs ago. As others have said, best money ever spent. I was 20-200 and went to 20-20. Dr told me that all it does is reset the clock to zero (ie 20-20) so as time goes on I'd need readers which happened. Dont care - I dont have to f*** with contacts.

Do it. You will never regret it. No matter the cost

How much is it nowadays? Back in the day it was like $2500 per eye.

I had PRK. Was awesome. Is still awesome five years later. 20/15 vision. Had some light sensitivity issues for about two weeks, then wore sunglasses outside for quite some, but I could literally see better the moment they finished.

I had PRK. Was awesome. Is still awesome five years later. 20/15 vision. Had some light sensitivity issues for about two weeks, then wore sunglasses outside for quite some, but I could literally see better the moment they finished.

What's the difference between them?
PRK and LASIK?

What's the difference between them?
PRK and LASIK?

It's slightly different surgery, but the main difference for you would be that Lasik has a quicker healing time. It is my understanding that they usually chose to do Lasik and if you aren't a candidate they look at you being a candidate for PRK.

It's backward windy I think. PRK is easier than Lasik or Lasek. Other than removing the outer protective flap of your eye (think a natural contact), there's no cutting of your eye, cornea, etc. Just the laser. Once they put the temporary contact in, I blinked and could immediately see. Like I read the stickers above my head on the lights they used to see.

It's backward windy I think. PRK is easier than Lasik or Lasek. Other than removing the outer protective flap of your eye (think a natural contact), there's no cutting of your eye, cornea, etc. Just the laser. Once they put the temporary contact in, I blinked and could immediately see. Like I read the stickers above my head on the lights they used to see.

So one is a permanent contact kind of deal?

I've been wearing contacts for 20 years. I'm ready for the surgery. Just been a little scared to do it.

I have a bit of anxiety

I've been wearing contacts for 20 years. I'm ready for the surgery. Just been a little scared to do it.

I have a bit of anxiety

no. But since they surgically remove the outer protective layer of your eye (which is what I referenced as permanent contact) they put a temporary one in place until it heals back. I had surgery on Monday afternoon and they took the temporary contact out on Friday.

I have a bit of anxiety
It's easy to be scared. The thought of what the sx entails is terrifying. And after you're done you'll be so mad at yourself because it was so easy.

No worries about falling asleep with contacts in. No worries about it raining or swimming. No dust particles driving you nuts. You will never regret it

Best thing I've ever done. Took a nap after surgery for about 4 hours and woke up with 20/15 vision. Incredible. 2 downsides though:
1. You will be more light sensitive permanently after surgery. Went from never wearing sunglasses to having to wear then when it's sunny out. Has to do with the way they physically alter the focus of your eye.
2. The surgery is not as easy as everyone says. The actual laser portion only takes about 10 seconds per eye, but you will be in the room for about 25 minutes. I wasn't given any Valium to help and almost had to halt the surgery. The lead up is quite uncomfortable.

My eyes sting every morning. The sides of the irises closest to my nose.

I did have perfect vision for a couple of years. I wear glasses again, but they're about 20% as thick as they used to be.

I had it done around 2000.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Does the actual surgery hurt? Sting? Can you see the laser doing its thing?

what are you waiting for.....I can see clearly again now that those pesky cataracts are gone

VN Store

Back