Disappearance of Dennis Martin-Unsolved Mystery in the Smokies

drgreear

Hello all,

With fall approaching I figured I would share this. I'm sure many of you have heard this story before. I myself came
across it several years ago and for whatever random reason, began thinking about it tonight.

I think the Smokies are a mysterious place. I think the world itself is full of things we can't understand. This story just seems to be a bit odd. How does someone disappear like that?

Lost in the Smokies: Mystery surrounds disappearances over the past 40 years

Stumbled upon the wrong moonshine still.

He was probably abducted by some sicko neighbor or relative.

Trenny Gibson is weird. 16 yo Knoxville girl. On a Clingman's Dome trail between two other kids, steep drop offs on either side, and she vanished.

Trenny Gibson is weird. 16 yo Knoxville girl. On a Clingman's Dome trail between two other kids, steep drop offs on either side, and she vanished.

Trenny was the one seen walking towards the parking lot when she vanished. This was probably an actual abduction.

Okay, y'all have me scared. I'm not gonna do my naked night hike now.

I think the most alarming aspect of the Marrin disappearance was that he was in a clearing with a group of people and within 5 minutes he was gone without a trace.

It was also a perfect storm of events that night as it rained heavily. Plus the search was not well organized. There are so many possibilities as to what could have happened.

Hello all,

With fall approaching I figured I would share this. I'm sure many of you have heard this story before. I myself came
across it several years ago and for whatever random reason, began thinking about it tonight.

I think the Smokies are a mysterious place. I think the world itself is full of things we can't understand. This story just seems to be a bit odd. How does someone disappear like that?

Lost in the Smokies: Mystery surrounds disappearances over the past 40 years

There is a Lot of info missing from that article.

There was another family that came up to where the Martins were at. Their name was also Martin.

Kids close in age. The kids were playing hide and go seek. Dennis's father had just looked over his shoulder at his son hiding behind a bush not 15-20 feet from him. He looked back and was gone.

The father ran down the hill looking and screaming for his son. The grandfather went for help.

Green berets did show up. (How many times has that happened, and why were they armed)?

The green berets did not work along side with the other agencies there.

Meanwhile farther down the trail-

Another family was enjoying the sights. Having a good time when they noticed something running through the woods with something thrown across its shoulder. They went on about their business but once they found out a boy was missing they notified the FBI of what they witnessed. The FBI did not follow up on it.

There is a lot of speculation on this. One idea is, Dennis was kidnapped by accident. The child that should have been taken was part of the other Martin family.

There is a lot more to this....

I want to thank every person who wrote a polite and interesting question.
I can say that this experience has been interesting and exhausting.
There has never been a point, in any of my research where I had interactions like I had here.

I know that the vast majority of you will never meet a parent who has lost their child, never knowing where they are or what happened. That life void has to be the worst experience any parent could have. The most riveting and emotional interviews I have ever done was with one of those parents, Dennis Martins father, Bill.

Looking back in my career, there have been dozens of times where I investigated missing teenagers, young kids and adults, on nearly every occasion the disappearance turned out to be voluntary. A seasoned investigator could become very calloused to another case and allow that series of experiences to push them to generalize. Ah, this is just another missing person case, probably bad parenting, poor relationship, people feeling sorry for themselves, etc, etc. What I learned years ago, you can NEVER generalize, about anything. Just because you had five experiences where it didn't end the way you thought, that doesn't mean the 6th will turn out the same. If you lose sight of this fact, the relationships and communications you have will be less then honorable and you'll never get to the truth behind the issue.

The background behind the Martin case was pretty straight forward. Dennis disappeared on a rural field in Rocky Mountain National park. What followed is a series of incidents that are truly unreal. When we started to investigate this incident, it appeared that Mr. Martin had been lied to by the investigators inside the National Park Service and by the FBI. It specifically looked as if they were withholding the most valuable information that was gathered in the case.

One of the biggest revenue generators in the Knoxville area is Rocky Mountain National Park. In 2010, (NPS.gov Homepage (U.S. National Park Service)...) this article states that the park generated 818 million in revenue for the gateway communities, this is HUGE. The number of businesses surrounding the park that are dependent on the park visitors for revenue is large.

If the park admits that a small boy might have been abducted, this could have a major effect on the surrounding communities and park visitations. Ah, but there wasn't just one mysterious disappearance, there have been several. The theory behind the Martin abduction wasn't mine, the retired head tracker for the park service states that he now believes Dennis was abducted.

When I met Mr. Martin at his house, the same house he lived when Dennis disappeared, the man still looked the same as in 1969. He came to the door, I explained who I was and asked for a few minutes of his time. He explained that this disappearance had had a major impact on the life of he and his wife and that he had promised his wife it would no longer be discussed. I explained that I had traveled from California specifically to speak with him and asked for just a few minutes. He closed the door behind him and stepped onto the front porch.

When Mr. Martin and I started to talk, the man had tears in his eyes. The disappearance of his son had destroyed this families life. At the time of their biggest need, they turned to the NPS for assistance and direction on finding Dennis. Mr. Martin told me that the NPS, investigators and the press had lied and withheld information, I explained what I knew, he was surprised. I asked a few deep questions that probably have never been asked. I explained that I knew the "Key" family had seen something on a hillside in a reasonable time frame after Dennis disappeared and wanted to know if there was something else about this that wasn't released. Mr. Martin stated that the FBI and NPS never wanted this information released to him or the public. They also never wanted the public to know that whatever was seen on that hillside, was carrying something on its shoulder. I believe that the direct impression he wanted to leave was that Dennis could've been on that shoulder. The NPS and FBI told Mr. Martin that the time frames for this observation didn't work, that was a LIE. Dwight McCarter (the tracker for the park service at the time) and Mr. Martin quickly walked from Spence Field to the point of the "Key" observation in a time frame that would've made the sighting possible.

Imagine at the time of your greatest need, when you were absolutely at your lowest point in life, the one time when you needed the governmental agencies there to assist, find and comfort and they do exactly the opposite. You've just lost your most important possession and now the people you've always looked to as honorable turn out to be something quite different.

The last question I ask any witness before I leave, "Is there something about this incident that isn't known by the public and is something I should understand?" Mr. Martin stated that there was. He asked if I was aware of the number of disappearances in the mountains near the time Dennis disappeared, I named them. He asked if I knew the FBI agent that was on scene in each of those cases, I named him. He asked if I knew what happened to him, I stated I did not. Mr. Martin stated that the agent committed suicide. This was later confirmed. It was apparent that Mr. Martin gave us this information for a specific reason.

Our investigation into the Dennis Martin disappearance uncovered several major facts that the public does not know. The Martin family has never had justice in this case and has never experienced support and honesty from the NPS or the Knoxville Press. Each one of the four major television networks in Knoxville refused to report on any of this information. Do I understand why Mr. Martin refuses to talk to the press, absolutely. The support mechanisms meant to support victim families failed the Martins. When I walked away from meeting Mr. Martin, I had tears in my eyes. I know I could never feel the totality of his pain, but I felt some small part of this fathers loss. He lost his son and we weren't there to support him. "WE", I mean we as people. If we start to put our compassion, understanding and honesty on the shelf and work towards an agenda, or allow our behavior to be controlled by past experiences causing us to generalize, we have lost a large part of our humanity.

David Paulides
CanAm Missing Project

To my knowledge yes.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I remember this vividly as I was not much older than Dennis Martin when this happened. You are correct that the press at that time never mentioned the possibility of abduction. I remember reading all the news and asking my dad what he thought. He told me quietly, "someone took him". I was shocked and asked him why and he just said he didn't know.

Google "missing 411". There's some crazy stories out there. Makes me wanna keep my son inside with the doors locked.

Could the 2nd Martin family really be the Martin's?
If one of the Rangers was nearly beaten to death but nothing was reported then the cover up makes sense.
It makes a lot of sense to me that the the government and its agencies save a few at the expensive of many.

It doesent make sense why the Barrets were armed but refused any help and or knowledge of the area. Unless, they already knew it was an abduction by the "wild people".

Personally after listening to the YouTube video and reading the post it feels like the "Martins" played a role in this along with the government and the agencies.

Could the 2nd Martin family really be the Martin's?
If one of the Rangers was nearly beaten to death but nothing was reported then the cover up makes sense.
It makes a lot of sense to me that the the government and its agencies save a few at the expensive of many.

It doesent make sense why the Barrets were armed but refused any help and or knowledge of the area. Unless, they already knew it was an abduction by the "wild people".

Personally after listening to the YouTube video and reading the post it feels like the "Martins" played a role in this along with the government and the agencies.

So the Martin family AND the government covered up the disappearance of Dennis?

I think you might be a little too caught up in the conspiracy theories.

Reactions: 1 person
So the Martin family AND the government covered up the disappearance of Dennis?

I think you might be a little too caught up in the conspiracy theories.

Then tell us Coug, what's the truth?
The boy's family would like to know

The testimony from the family and witnesses is there. The head of the national parks went on record.

The FBI ignored the testimony of a witness of what they saw.
Why were the green berets armed? Why didn't they work in tandem with the other agencies?

Google "missing 411". There's some crazy stories out there. Makes me wanna keep my son inside with the doors locked.

One that put my mind in over drive was a little boy that went missing in a national park was later found on the face of a 200 Clift. Inside cubby hole. Still wearing the same clothes. Had been missing 2 weeks I believe but coroners report said he had only been dead for 3 days.
Search and rescue had to use climbing gear to get to the boy. Professionals stated there was no way possible the boy could have got himself there by himself.
Oh and his clothes were clean.....

One that put my mind in over drive was a little boy that went missing in a national park was later found on the face of a 200 Clift. Inside cubby hole. Still wearing the same clothes. Had been missing 2 weeks I believe but coroners report said he had only been dead for 3 days.
Search and rescue had to use climbing gear to get to the boy. Professionals stated there was no way possible the boy could have got himself there by himself.
Oh and his clothes were clean.....
Yeah, that is one of the craziest.

That is interesting for sure. Green Berets... wild men living in the Smokies. If they did live out there, wonder if the GB's took em out. Pretty strange stuff. I used to hike that area as it was a popular hike up to Spence Field and back down through Russel Field. Did see a lot of wild hog activity up there.

Crazy and mysterious.

VN Store

Back