Are you excited about the Olympics?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I am anxious to watch some, even though it's a disappointing year with all that's going on there.

What events are you looking forward to?

I always enjoy the sprints. And the Phelps storyline should be interesting. I'll probably watch both golf and basketball.

What else?

A little odd for a guy, but I enjoy the women's gymnastics. It's always fascinated me.

Forgot to mention, the opening ceremony is Friday beginning at 7:00.

My wife likes that type of thing, but normally I get a little bored with the ceremonial stuff.

I can understand that. It's always gonna be hard to top China for the opening to me. They actually done a great job.

Yep. I think he's in three individual events and I just read yesterday he was selected for the 4x100 meter freestyle relay team.

Cool. Dude was awesome last time.

I'm much more a fan of the winter games.

Fair enough.

Soccer is another event I might try to watch if the US is competitive. Anyone know if either the men or women's team is expected to be any good?

Fair enough.

Soccer is another event I might try to watch if the US is competitive. Anyone know if either the men or women's team is expected to be any good?

I think the women's team still had high hopes. Just from something I read a couple of weeks ago.

Fair enough.

The Wolrd Cup is about the only time I'll watch soccer.

I'd imagine the women's team is a favorite. I doubt the men's team will do anything. They never do, and always seemed over hyped (WC included).

The Olympics were cool when they were the only thing on TV. It's not as fun when less people are watching and into it. Greeny told a story about how his entire 6th grade locker room broke out in chants of "USA" just cause they felt compelled to the morning after USA hockey won gold over USSR...probably 1% of 6th graders watched USA play Canada for gold (in 2010?).

Man, I'm getting old to remember those games. Ha

Oh man, one of my earliest coming of age memories is when my mom would drop me off at the public library when she went shopping, and I remember that picture of Dorothy Hamill on the medal stand in Sports Illustrated in '76. For weeks I would go back and find that same magazine, and I would tuck it inside of another so nobody would know I was staring at that one picture for like an hour. I don't think I felt that strongly about another woman until Olivia Newton-John in the Grease/Xanadu era.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back