Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile

MyBloodRunnethOrange

Jesus is Lord
I'm thinking about switching from AT&T and I'm looking for opinions from others who use any of the other major carriers, or have in the past. How good is the service? How about the coverage in rural areas? Do they ding you with overage charges if you go over your data? Any other useful info.

I have sprint, I like the service a lot. I don't know, or keep up with, the details of payments and data. I haven't had an issue with coverage though.

Reactions: 1 person
agree with the above. Verizon is best nationwide, but also the most expensive

Some of it depends on where you live. I got Tmobile after having Verizon for years (just to save a bit of money), but it is not nearly as reliable. Though they do "make up for it" in other ways (BingeOn, unlimited 4G data after 4GLTE runs out)

Google Fi. (Which is Sprint, TMo and US Cellular)

If I didn't use that I'd be on Cricket (ATT) or Walmarts $30 TMo plan.

I am on T-Mobile's $30 plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text/data.

Love it. I don't talk a lot (who does) so I don't need anymore. Used to be on Verizon and now that T-Mobile has made the great strides that they have, I don't notice a difference between what I had with Verizon.

Have had ATT, Sprint, Tmobile, and now Verizon. VZ is so much better than the competitors, but a little more expensive. VZ has recently added rollover data

Be sure to look at the coverage maps for them before making a decision. Verizon is by far the best coverage IMO. I've never had a problem anywhere. Sprint and TMobile are a bit iffy sometimes. Sprint used to run off of the towers that Nextel used (or vice versa). They're great in the middle of cities but get off the beaten path aka interstates and coverage was questionable. My son was in remote north east Arizona recently and texted and called with no problem. His buddy with TMobile couldnt get a signal at all.

Have had ATT, Sprint, Tmobile, and now Verizon. VZ is so much better than the competitors, but a little more expensive. VZ has recently added rollover data

Is that automatic or do you have to change plans to get this?

Nevermind - I just changed plans to get this plus an extra GB of data for 12 bucks less than my old plan.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nevermind - I just changed plans to get this plus an extra GB of data for 12 bucks less than my old plan.

Thanks!
They really must be doing some changing over there. I just saw they changed their international plans too. For $10/day you can use your phone, text, and data from your domestic plan. Plus you're only charged if you use your phone on a day. Turn your phone off - no charge for that day. This is different that just a year back where you would get a per day charge, a reduced rate per minute for calling (about $1.70 per min), $.50 per text sent+ $.05 per text received and a block of data. If you went over you'd be charged again. One year my bill was $400.

Verizon. And it's not even close.

New plans allow roll over data like someone else said. Device payment options. Better coverage than others.

Price is generally a little more. But nothing major.

If you travel overseas you should probably look at Google Fi. $20 for unl calls/text and $10/gig of data. Works in 135+ countries.

Verizon is good and all, but way overpriced. I'll take my few hours without service this year in exchange for hundreds in savings.

Obviously not for everyone but I'd say most people around here would be fine on TMo and save a ton using their $30 plan. Or save a bit less and use Sprint, who has the best network now but does lack a bit in coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If you travel overseas you should probably look at Google Fi. $20 for unl calls/text and $10/gig of data. Works in 135+ countries.

Verizon is good and all, but way overpriced. I'll take my few hours without service this year in exchange for hundreds in savings.

Obviously not for everyone but I'd say most people around here would be fine on TMo and save a ton using their $30 plan. Or save a bit less and use Sprint, who has the best network now but does lack a bit in coverage.

I am on T-Mobile's $30 plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text/data.

Love it. I don't talk a lot (who does) so I don't need anymore. Used to be on Verizon and now that T-Mobile has made the great strides that they have, I don't notice a difference between what I had with Verizon.

So what else can you tell me about this $30 plan? Its a prepaid plan, right?

Can you get the BingeOn features with it or one that's a little more?

I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon. I encounter fewer dead spots on my daily trip to Charlotte and back and I have an LTE signal pretty much everywhere except for an odd deadspot on I40E near Newport.

6GB plan plus an iPhone 6s 64GB installment and phone insurance is $110/month. That is after my 25% employer discount.

Thanks!

Yeah, I changed back about three weeks ago. Got more data, less of a bill, and roll over

Verizon. And it's not even close.

New plans allow roll over data like someone else said. Device payment options. Better coverage than others.

Price is generally a little more. But nothing major.

Device payment options is a great route IMO. It's basically an interest free loan

So what else can you tell me about this $30 plan? Its a prepaid plan, right?

Can you get the BingeOn features with it or one that's a little more?

It's 100 minutes month. Unl text. 5gig of LTE data, then unl throttled 3G data. Includes BingeOn and weekly freebies. Pre-paid. Walmart sells a kit. Search google for "Walmart $30 tmobile" and it'll autocomplete the search it's so popular.

Also, I agree device payment plans are ok (interest free, why not?). But, it does cause some people to buy more than they need. An iphone 16g might have been good enough but interest free payments make that 64g model seem like "just a couple more dollars".

Last edited:
Google Fi. (Which is Sprint, TMo and US Cellular)

If I didn't use that I'd be on Cricket (ATT) or Walmarts $30 TMo plan.

You CAN NOT beat Cricket's prices, I've literally tried it. Their basic plan is $40 a month for unlimited everything with a base data rate at 2GB. 5GB is $50 a month. You can knock off $5 a month for every plan by using auto-pay. Bring them ANY GSM phone you want to use and just buy a sim card for $10.

I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon. I encounter fewer dead spots on my daily trip to Charlotte and back and I have an LTE signal pretty much everywhere except for an odd deadspot on I40E near Newport.

6GB plan plus an iPhone 6s 64GB installment and phone insurance is $110/month. That is after my 25% employer discount.

Who is your employer? That 25% discount is sweet!

I have had Sprint for years. I am a realtor in 'Nooga and pay $165 a month for two phones (iPhone 6 and a 6+...phone payments are included) with unlimited voice, text and data. Is the coverage as good as Verizon's? Probably not, but I don't have any noticeable issues with it. We live in East TN...it's hilly and cell phone coverage is essentially line of site. Every carrier drops random calls going through the ridge cut on I-24. I have used it in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Montego Bay and Nassau with no problems and don't remember any astronomical charges.

For those of us without a 25% discount, that VZ service would be $146.66 a month...and you didn't mention any hardware. So I'm good with possibly dropping a call or two a month for a two for the price of one discount.

VN Store

Back