Have a dilema

Sin City Vol

So my wife and I are friends with numerous other couples here in Las Vegas but there is one couple we spend more time with. So the wife is really cool but the husband and I really have nothing in common. So this past weekend they invited us over to grill out and have some drinks. There were 6 people there and he just happened to be grilling. We had brought muscles to steam and I made skewers of bacon wrapped shrimp. So when I went to put the shrimp on the grill, he was only cooking 3 steaks. That's all he ended up making!!! He cut the 3 of them up in small pieces and 6 people shared 3 steaks....

I was a little pissed because I dropped about $120 in seafood and we always have them over for thanksgiving and drop like $300-$400 in food and they bring a dip and what they drink.

As a man I would think he would provide enough steaks for everyone to have one but he didn't. Should I bring this up?? I find it strange and cheap. I know he makes good money cause he talks about it. I guess I'm just tired of dropping the majority of money on someone I really don't have that much in common with but our wives are best friends...

Any suggestions??

Screw that. If he can't afford it, that's one thing. Other than that, eff that relationship.

You hang out with the husbands of your wife's friends. It's just what you do so saying something to her likely won't get you very far. It's why there's sports to discuss and beer to drink

I would ask why the dollar figure seems to be so important. Not sure I've ever compared based on the money spent for food. Everyone entertains in their own way

Reactions: 3 people
You hang out with the husbands of your wife's friends. It's just what you do so saying something to her likely won't get you very far. It's why there's sports to discuss and beer to drink

I would ask why the dollar figure seems to be so important. Not sure I've ever compared based on the money spent for food. Everyone entertains in their own way

And he entertains very poorly. 3 steaks for 6 people is bush league.

I probably wouldn't really say anything to them because in the long run, it will only end causing more problems. I'd let it go but next time they have a get together like that, I wouldn't go out of your way to take food and all again and just let him embarrass himself.

Reactions: 4 people
And he entertains very poorly. 3 steaks for 6 people is bush league.

Depends. I get some large cuts from a local place and have portioned them out after cooking

I guess my question is whether you're entertaining to be social or to impress. Also seems the real issue may be the particular guy more than anything else and this is a type of excuse to tell the wife about in hopes she cuts it off

Ask what you should bring. He didn't tell you to drop 120 on seafood. Could he have only cooked 3 steaks because with your stuff added there was plenty of food?

When you host, request them to bring something specific or don't hold the dip against them. You know there is little chance this is a willful slight. Take control if it bothers you. At least you'll find out for sure if it is willful or not.

Reactions: 3 people
I was gonna say whoop his butt, but you probably should listen to these other guys.

Reactions: 2 people
You knew they were cheap by what they brought for Thanksgiving, so you really shouldn't be surprised by this. Now you are more informed about the next time they invite you over.

Sometimes i buy large cuts of steak but I cut them prior to cooking and never go below 6 or 7 oz.

I certainly wouldn't do it the way this guy did if I was hosting a get together.

So my wife and I are friends with numerous other couples here in Las Vegas but there is one couple we spend more time with. So the wife is really cool but the husband and I really have nothing in common. So this past weekend they invited us over to grill out and have some drinks. There were 6 people there and he just happened to be grilling. We had brought muscles to steam and I made skewers of bacon wrapped shrimp. So when I went to put the shrimp on the grill, he was only cooking 3 steaks. That's all he ended up making!!! He cut the 3 of them up in small pieces and 6 people shared 3 steaks....

I was a little pissed because I dropped about $120 in seafood and we always have them over for thanksgiving and drop like $300-$400 in food and they bring a dip and what they drink.

As a man I would think he would provide enough steaks for everyone to have one but he didn't. Should I bring this up?? I find it strange and cheap. I know he makes good money cause he talks about it. I guess I'm just tired of dropping the majority of money on someone I really don't have that much in common with but our wives are best friends...

Any suggestions??

Don't bring it up. Just try to avoid hanging out. Stop spending so much on his cheap ass and donate that skrilla to good cause. :thumbsup:

I have run into this with 2 different couples. It became routine, but unavoidable because 1 couple is family and the other is a coworker of my wife.

We scaled way back on what we brought to parties. We also ate something before we went in order to not be starving which can lead to irritability which can lead to firing off at the mouth (my problem not wife's).

Now when they come to my house we cook plenty of good food. That's just how we roll. But I won't be burned again as a guest.

Reactions: 1 person

Any suggestions??
Wife swap is in order. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

No point in bringing it up. The dude is either limited in what he can spend or he's flat out cheap. You're not going to change rectify either situation by confronting or shaming him.

Either resign yourself to being the more generous one or stop hanging out with him.

When I used to do these type of things, a cook out assumed that people brought their own steak to cook and there would be an assortment of side dishes that everyone shared. Everyone's assumptions are different, so I would be clear the next time who is supplying what.

Got nothing for ya... I brought a bag of Ruffles to a party once, heard about it for years. Geeze, they had ridges too.

Now erryone gits a 60" Curved 4G TV when they come to a dinner party... I may have taken that too far, not sure.

Reactions: 2 people

Solid post.

VN Store

Back