Knoxville Overnight Stay - looking for suggestions

JC61

We're heading through Knoxville in a few weeks and wanted to ask for suggestions to enjoy the city.

We're planning on staying in the downtown area and already saw where there is an ale trail and there appears to be more than enough good places to eat.

The boss did request an information packet from the visitors center and will try to gauge from it as well. Not necessarily looking for the most trendy places and since we only have one afternoon/night wanted to see what the VN crowd with more experience in the city would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stay at the Crown Plaza downtown. Market square is a block or two away as well as Gay street. Perfect evening in downtown Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
Stay at the Crown Plaza downtown. Market square is a block or two away as well as Gay street. Perfect evening in downtown Knoxville.

Can't go wrong with this suggestion.

Restaurants, shopping, and bars just a couple blocks away. Drive around campus (even though it's all just a construction site now), museum of Art nearby, Knoxville museum on Gay St, etc. Good spot to be.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with this suggestion.

Restaurants, shopping, and bars just a couple blocks away. Drive around campus (even though it's all just a construction site now), museum of Art nearby, Knoxville museum on Gay St, etc. Good spot to be.
Yep... And if you can't get into the Crowne Plaza, look at the Holiday Inn right around the corner.

Not sure of your price point, but the Oliver is in the perfect spot to experience the nightlife.

I was gonna say a hotel, but these guys got all serious 😁

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, if you're really looking to make it a big stay, the Oliver is your best bet.

There's a Hampton Inn downtown as well if you just need a decent room to come back to.

Sweet Ps bbq on Jackson, go on the brew tour of our small local places like Shultz, bastard, and Alliance brewery. And try The downtown brewery and grill for cheap, house brew and apps. They have a couple of pool tables and a good atmosphere

The restaurant thread is full of reviews. Right downtown, I'd recommend: Five, Nama, Emilia, Knox Mason, Stock & Barrel, Sweet P's, Tupelo Honey, and the Oliver Royale (though I haven't been there yet).

appreciate all the suggestions thus far. As far as price point, for a hotel....well, it's just a room to sleep in overnight but do want a decent night's sleep and not necessarily looking for the budget inn. We're looking to find some good beer and chow....plus walk around a bit to enjoy the atmosphere. While I'm sure there is so much to do, it can't be done in a day...but, it'll be our first overnight stay there and wanted to make the most out of it.

If you're interested in Knoxville's atmosphere, the above posts are true. I'd go for The Oliver just because it is a renovated early 20th century hotel the everyone (mostly) likes.

However, if you're interested in the University atmosphere side of things, check out the Hilton Garden Inn down on Lake Ave. one short block south of Cumberland Ave. and half a block west of 17th St/Melrose Place. (not sure if 17th becomes Melrose at Cumberland or not. Anyway, that puts you in the heart of "The Strip" area where lots of students hang, ... bars, restaurants, etc. Neyland, University Center Bookstore for gear, UT Hall of Fame, etc. For restaurants get a reservation at The Copper Cellar. Built in 1972 and original design by an art student, it was an original competitor of the very first Ruby Tuesdays that was just around the corner. Ruby's is gone, but The Cellar is still there. It's the first of, so I suppose flagship of the Copper Foods restaurants. The Celar, Calhouns, Smokey Mountain Brewery, Chesapeakes, Cappucinos, and others I guess. The Sun Sphere is open also with some kind of foods I've been told.
The Strip is undergoing roadwork to make it more pedestrian friendly and try to direct traffic around the university area instead of through it, so..maybe some others can chime in on how it's going. You can still walk or ride over to the Market Square area or Old City if the strip's dead. Or hey, get on out to Turkey Creek Calhoun's SMK and have an ale steak washed down with the Brewery's own Thunder Road.

Unless it's game day, there isn't a single reason to go to the Strip these days. Plus the construction is a nightmare.

I thought visitors centers were for tourist/destination cities so I didn't even know we had a visitors center and I was born here. Thanks for indirectly teaching me something. If you are going to be downtown you should definitely eat at Stock and Barrel.

Unless it's game day, there isn't a single reason to go to the Strip these days. Plus the construction is a nightmare.

Depends on these guys age. There are several bars there they may feel right at home in. Yeah construction on Cumberland is rough, but getting over to The Hill, to Neyland, to the UT Hall of Fame, etc. is just fine. Assuming that may be their goal.

Once again, I appreciate all the suggestions. We're mid 50's....so the college scene isn't really what we're looking for. Won't necessarily shy away...our youngest just graduated college last year and we'd take him to eat on their strip when we visited.

We're passing through on our way up north and my wife thought it would be neat to spend the night in Knoxville. We plan on parking at whichever hotel is selected and walking everywhere we want to go. She's been gathering information from the visitors center/bureau. Told her I'd have to ask this crowd since many of you live in the area and would know what was really good.

A trip for a game is definitely in order...never been to Neyland and want to in many ways, just got to get over my aversion to crowds :-|. Being in a sea of orange may just be the trick.

If the hotel is being treated as just a place to lay your head, skip the Oliver

We're heading through Knoxville in a few weeks and wanted to ask for suggestions to enjoy the city.

We're planning on staying in the downtown area and already saw where there is an ale trail and there appears to be more than enough good places to eat.

The boss did request an information packet from the visitors center and will try to gauge from it as well. Not necessarily looking for the most trendy places and since we only have one afternoon/night wanted to see what the VN crowd with more experience in the city would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help.

check out the Blackhorse

Blackhorse Pub & Brewery, Clarksville, T

Lol, was waiting for that :) Might be a bit long of a walk though...

why yes it would...went there a few times while at FTCKY. A great place to hang out, eat and drink a few beers! :good!:

However, looks like there is one in Knoxville now.

why yes it would...went there a few times while at FTCKY. A great place to hang out, eat and drink a few beers! :good!:

However, looks like there is one in Knoxville now.

yes, they opened a second one, again in Knoxville a couple of years ago

Once again, I appreciate all the suggestions. We're mid 50's....so the college scene isn't really what we're looking for. Won't necessarily shy away...our youngest just graduated college last year and we'd take him to eat on their strip when we visited.

We're passing through on our way up north and my wife thought it would be neat to spend the night in Knoxville. We plan on parking at whichever hotel is selected and walking everywhere we want to go. She's been gathering information from the visitors center/bureau. Told her I'd have to ask this crowd since many of you live in the area and would know what was really good.

A trip for a game is definitely in order...never been to Neyland and want to in many ways, just got to get over my aversion to crowds :-|. Being in a sea of orange may just be the trick.

Then the Crowne Plaza is the ticket.

VN Store

Back