I Just Put an End to Global Warming

MT LeConte

Well, not really but I did replace all the light bulbs in and outside of my house with LEDs. I put some in the bedrooms and some lamps about a year ago to see if they would last if they would work as well as incandescents. I like them just fine. They are even now available in clear housings which look good in cut glass fixtures ceiling fans.

I didn't necessarily do this to save the earth but it should save a few bucks a year and I won't have to change the bulbs as often. And it might save a lump or two of our precious coal. The main thing I like is they waste very little energy in the form of heat.

I have attached a link to a savings calculator website if anyone is interested.

Save Money Using the Cree LED Bulb Savings Calculator

Reactions: 5 people
Well, not really but I did replace all the light bulbs in and outside of my house with LEDs. I put some in the bedrooms and some lamps about a year ago to see if they would last if they would work as well as incandescents. I like them just fine. They are even now available in clear housings which look good in cut glass fixtures ceiling fans.

I didn't necessarily do this to save the earth but it should save a few bucks a year and I won't have to change the bulbs as often. And it might save a lump or two of our precious coal. The main thing I like is they waste very little energy in the form of heat.

I'm a true miser when it comes to using electricity and decided to replace all my bulbs with LED years ago...

Was a good decision....they seem to last forever.

Reactions: 1 person

I dont mind going "green" as long as I save money. LED is the way to go for sure.

I try to be responsible. I set my AC at 80 when I am not home. It goes to 78/76 after 8pm depending on how much alcohol I've consumed. *Pro Tip* Electricity rates are highest from 12pm to 8pm.

I did just however buy a vehicle with a big ass V-8 that takes 89 octane gas and I make sure the "sport mode" is on and "Eco mode" is off..pretty much all the time.

Wait a minute!

Are these LEDs better than candles and oil lamps?

Do you know if there are similar savings to be had on decorative lighting? I like to use little white bulbs on a gazebo thingy and a tree, partly out of security, but also because it's nice to sit outside. I imagine having it on the timer 5 hours a night is a lot of $ in a year.

Do you know if there are similar savings to be had on decorative lighting? I like to use little white bulbs on a gazebo thingy and a tree, partly out of security, but also because it's nice to sit outside. I imagine having it on the timer 5 hours a night is a lot of $ in a year.

If its night electricity is cheap..er..I have similar lights around my pool cage. With new windows and relatively conservative electrical usage in Florida I never go above $130 a month in electrical. I think my pool pump does the most damage to be honest.

I would have gone the LED route when I bought the house. But I got the mongo sized CFL packs I'm still working my way through.

In the future, I'll likely go that route though. And there is a serious difference in my bill from when I first moved in till now.

I'll say this, they do last a long time but their life expectancy is exact. We installed 5 or 6 of then at the same time...and they all died within about a week 1 2 3 4 5 6...it was crazy. Never seen anything like that before.

I've converted nearly all my bulbs, indoor and outdoor, to LED. I even installed LEDs in my wife's car.

I have failed to do my part, I use the old regular Walmart bulbs. Throw me in the anti global warming crowd I guess 😢

LED lighting sucks on runways in the north. No heat so they get covered with snow. Bad idea if you are trying to see something you are gonna land on. funny that nobody thought about that. But they save energy. :)

I dont mind going "green" as long as I save money. LED is the way to go for sure.

I try to be responsible. I set my AC at 80 when I am not home. It goes to 78/76 after 8pm depending on how much alcohol I've consumed. *Pro Tip* Electricity rates are highest from 12pm to 8pm.

I did just however buy a vehicle with a big ass V-8 that takes 89 octane gas and I make sure the "sport mode" is on and "Eco mode" is off..pretty much all the time.

depends on the rate structure from your electric company. some are strictly usage based

LED lighting sucks on runways in the north. No heat so they get covered with snow. Bad idea if you are trying to see something you are gonna land on. funny that nobody thought about that. But they save energy. :)

Yeah, Yankees and Dumbocrats ain't too smart.

They're finding this to be a problem with traffic lights also. Blowing snow fills them up and it doesn't melt.

Misleading thread title - thought OP discovered the wonders of Beano

Can-I-give-my-dog-beano.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I have failed to do my part, I use the old regular Walmart bulbs. Throw me in the anti global warming crowd I guess 😢

Walmart's store brand LEDs (Great Value) are actually pretty good, I've found, and about the least expensive. Pay attention to the light color though; the closest match for the old soft white incandescents is the warm white LEDs.

Walmart's store brand LEDs (Great Value) are actually pretty good, I've found, and about the least expensive. Pay attention to the light color though; the closest match for the old soft white incandescents is the warm white LEDs.

To match the warm white of incandescent, use the 2700K LEDs.

Regarding a previous poster's comment about electricity rates, most consumer rates in the TVA region are usage-based, not time-of-day, but it will probably move to that with better metering.

I may try some if I remember to get them.

Yeah! Warm light or "soft white". Do not make the mistake of accidentally grabbing the "daylight" bulbs. Those things are awful and look like fluorescent lighting.

I had to buy replacement lights for the whole kitchen. When it was renovated the contractor put in recessed lighting, 13 of them to be exact. After a little while of being on the kitchen would actually be a couple degrees warmer than the rest of the rooms just because of the lights. I went with Cree, mind you a year or two ago when I bought them these bulbs were even more expensive. I've had about 4 of them go out now and they all did it within weeks of each other. A couple emails to Cree and they are sending me replacements. The bulbs I got had a 5 year warranty and it would have been a lot smoother had I thought to just keep the receipt. I could have taken them back to Home Depot and simply replaced them. Otherwise, Cree has been very easy to work with.

If you invest in some LED bulbs that have a warranty keep the receipt and take a photo of it as well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back