American Sniper a Fraud?

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
Reactions: 3 people
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25...distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-against-chris-kyle-slain-navy-seal-sniper/

Thoughts? First was the Ventura claim, now there's issues with his military record too. There's plenty of other stories of his that have been questioned as well (claiming to have killed looters during Katrina, shooting two men who tried to steal his car, and finding chemical weapons from Germany).

I file it under the "who cares" category. That's just me though. He put his life on the line numerous times as have others. That's all I care about. I will let the people in the military community worry with the "fraud" part. Doesn't change how I feel about his actions one bit.

Reactions: 1 person
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25...distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-against-chris-kyle-slain-navy-seal-sniper/

Thoughts? First was the Ventura claim, now there's issues with his military record too. There's plenty of other stories of his that have been questioned as well (claiming to have killed looters during Katrina, shooting two men who tried to steal his car, and finding chemical weapons from Germany).

May have lied but not a fraud.

The Ventura thing was a complete douche move by Jesse and he should be ashamed. I have no qualms with Ventura wanting to set the record straight, but to go after the widow was completely and utterly shameful.

Had he changed the parameters on the case by just demanding any future printing of the book omitted the portion about the bar fight, I would have been okay with it. But continuing to go after money in the end showed what a classless ass he was.

The Ventura thing was a complete douche move by Jesse and he should be ashamed. I have no qualms with Ventura wanting to set the record straight, but to go after the widow was completely and utterly shameful.

Had he changed the parameters on the case by just demanding any future printing of the book omitted the portion about the bar fight, I would have been okay with it. But continuing to go after money in the end showed what a classless ass he was.

100% agree. He got his victory now he needs to let the widow be.

I am. The victory isn't the problem. The douche going after the widow for money is my beef.

My understanding was that he won a legal battle that started before Kyle died and ended after. I assumed that was the victory in question. I'm not certain what you mean about going after the widow after.

My understanding was that he won a legal battle that started before Kyle died and ended after. I assumed that was the victory in question. I'm not certain what you mean about going after the widow after.

After Chris Kyle was killed, Ventura changed the lawsuit to reflect Taya Kyle as the defendant in the case. And continued asking for the money. He very well could have sued to have that portion of the book removed and little more, but he went after the widow and family of someone many, if not most, consider a hero.

I understand he obviously felt slighted over the portion of the book where he (allegedly) got his mouth busted from running it. But leave the widow out of it. As it is, this stopped being about his so called "honor" and went straight to greed.

My opinion of course.

I file it under the "who cares" category. That's just me though. He put his life on the line numerous times as have others. That's all I care about. I will let the people in the military community worry with the "fraud" part. Doesn't change how I feel about his actions one bit.

Who cares? Interesting.

He was a war hero that stood out above others. Why the need to embellish his record when the record stood tall on its own? Why lie about what happened between him and Ventura? I believe it points to a pathological liar. Soldiers are humans like the rest of us, most are flawed in one way or the other.

He was a war hero that stood out above others. Why the need to embellish his record when the record stood tall on its own? Why lie about what happened between him and Ventura? I believe it points to a pathological liar. Soldiers are humans like the rest of us, most are flawed in one way or the other.

I agree.

he probably never felt accepted enough no matter what he did. Probably tough to fight through that.

He served his country, in combat, putting his life on the line. He indisputably saved the lives of fellow soldiers with his sniper skills. After leaving the service, he tried to help fellow veterans readjust to life. I'd call him a hero and say we(as a country) probably didn't give him enough awards. The whole Ventura angle was a little shady because it was probably made up to help sell the book. The actual story of Chris Kyle was more than enough to sell the book. Would not surprise me if the publisher pushed for it.

The article I read, said his DD214 listed 2 silver stars, which is what he claimed in his book.

When you leave the service, that's the one document your told is an accurate reflection of your service....

I had issues with mine, and it wasn't like I just asked the clerk, to add awards or qualifications, I had to submit the orders for the awards to get them added to my DD214

Maybe a safe place could've helped him.

based on what he saw down range vs,my experience, I'd just as soon contend I wasn't even there. There's no telling how all that screwed with his mind, and I don't think jokes are appropriate.

Not at all surprised that he (allegedly) lied about his service awards, considering the (douchebag) lies about killing Katrina looters among other things. The guy is dead, though, so he's not around to set the record straight or apologize. I just kind of wish people would find a slightly more respectable hero. A hero wouldn't claim to shoot looters.

She was banking on a false story that smeared him. It wasn't her honest money to begin with.

She'll be OK as far as money goes, man.

Reactions: 2 people
Not at all surprised that he (allegedly) lied about his service awards, considering the (douchebag) lies about killing Katrina looters among other things. The guy is dead, though, so he's not around to set the record straight or apologize. I just kind of wish people would find a slightly more respectable hero. A hero wouldn't claim to shoot looters.

But did he lie about his service awards? He put in the book the awards that are shown on his DD214. The DD214 is typed up at your final command by a personnel man or yeoman. They can make mistakes. The navy is saying his DD214 is different from his official personnel file. I don't see a deliberate attempt on his part to embellish his awards.

She was banking on a false story that smeared him. It wasn't her honest money to begin with.

She'll be OK as far as money goes, man.

Which is why I put in the second paragraph to make it not about the money, but the principle. Have that portion omitted from any future printings and go from there. She pays his legal fees and moves forward with her life. And his own statements on the matter?

Jesse Ventura: No regrets over suing widow of Navy SEAL Chri​s Kyle - CBS News

Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura said Wednesday his successful lawsuit against the estate of late Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle was about "the truth" and that he has no plans to reach out to Kyle's widow, who is the executor of the Kyle's estate, now that the trial is over.

"All I wanted to do was clear my name, and it has nothing to do with a widow or anything like that," Ventura said on "CBS This Morning" during his first post-trial interview.

If it was about the "truth" and "clearing his name" why even add the money factor in? Sorry, this was a douche move IMO and that opinion isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Which is why I put in the second paragraph to make it not about the money, but the principle. Have that portion omitted from any future printings and go from there. She pays his legal fees and moves forward with her life. And his own statements on the matter?

Jesse Ventura: No regrets over suing widow of Navy SEAL Chri​s Kyle - CBS News

If it was about the "truth" and "clearing his name" why even add the money factor in? Sorry, this was a douche move IMO and that opinion isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Also in that article:

"I would have been a big-time loser had I not pursued the lawsuit, because ... the whole story was fabricated," Ventura said. "I was accused of treason, which in the military is the death penalty."

"I can't go to a SEAL reunion anymore," Ventura said. "That was the one place that I always felt safe. I can't go there anymore. I would be looking over my shoulder now wondering who's going to come after me next. And so, don't think I come out of this unscathed."

"Taya Kyle had all of her attorney fees paid by insurance. I did not. I incurred two-and-a-half years of lawyer fees that I have to pay to clear my name, and she had insurance paying everything for her," Ventura said on "CBS This Morning." "It was me against an insurance company."

Ventura said he will use his winnings to pay his lawyers' fees.

I know very little about Chris Kyle, never saw the movie, never heard his name until he died...but when I read the article above, Ventura certainly doesn't come across as the douche.

I mean, how hard is it to just not make up stories about prominent people and publish them in what is sure to be a popular book?

Reactions: 4 people

His DD214, which he was GIVEN when separating (you know that) says one thing, his old "mpf" records say another. I know I go off what my DD214 says when it comes to a medal count..

The article I read, said his DD214 listed 2 silver stars, which is what he claimed in his book.

When you leave the service, that's the one document your told is an accurate reflection of your service....

I had issues with mine, and it wasn't like I just asked the clerk, to add awards or qualifications, I had to submit the orders for the awards to get them added to my DD214

I had to do that for a few minor medals.

VN Store

Back