Contractor Destroyed Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearCat204

Second Chances
Recently had an extension put on my back patio to extend my entertainment space in the back. Hired a contractor to do the work and during the job, they completely destroyed my front yard and it looks like a mud truck event took place there. The contractor said that it was normal for those jobs and that he would not fix the grass that they destroyed. Anyone ever deal with something like this and is this normal or do I have any recourse with this situation?

I think the contractor is correct. You probably have zero recourse. In the future, have it in writing that the contractor will reseed/fix lawn damage caused by equipment.

Recently had an extension put on my back patio to extend my entertainment space in the back. Hired a contractor to do the work and during the job, they completely destroyed my front yard and it looks like a mud truck event took place there. The contractor said that it was normal for those jobs and that he would not fix the grass that they destroyed. Anyone ever deal with something like this and is this normal or do I have any recourse with this situation?

Make him fix it. That's BS. Report him to the BBB

I always straightened up a lawn if it was destroyed during an install.

Reactions: 1 person
BC, if they take down a fence to get to your backyard, are they gonna put it back?

I'd say he has to repair your yard if they rutted it up.

if there are ruts/damage to property besides the grass you can probably get some recompense. If just the grass has been torn up you are probably out of luck.

BC, if they take down a fence to get to your backyard, are they gonna put it back?

I'd say he has to repair your yard if they rutted it up.

I have a huge double door gate to the back yard, so there was no fence issue.

I spoke with the contractor again this morning and he said that he would try and "pretty" things up back there this afternoon....so at least he is somewhat a little cooperative. I have spoken with my attorney this morning and he says that I have a recourse if I so choose and a case that I would likely win (My lawyer for everything for 15 years....I've done some stuff over the years lol). Don't plan on bringing that up with the contractor until after I see what his version of "pretty up things" is.

I have a huge double door gate to the back yard, so there was no fence issue.

I spoke with the contractor again this morning and he said that he would try and "pretty" things up back there this afternoon....so at least he is somewhat a little cooperative. I have spoken with my attorney this morning and he says that I have a recourse if I so choose and a case that I would likely win (My lawyer for everything for 15 years....I've done some stuff over the years lol). Don't plan on bringing that up with the contractor until after I see what his version of "pretty up things" is.

Be sure to take photos before and after he "pretties" it up.

Reactions: 2 people
See if he's listed on sites like Home Advisor and Angie's List. If so, objectively document the situation once you see how the pretty up goes.

I owned a house about 20 years ago that had the power lines and sewer in the back. There were a lot of trees growing up into the power lines and the power company asked my permission to drive into my back yard and cut the trees back out of the lines. Since I had recently had an issue with trees knocking out my power in my back yard I allowed them to do it.

Well, a few weeks later my sewer back up. Turned out that their truck collapsed my old sewer line. The damage was right where I could see the indentations of their truck tires. They told me I was SOL and it cost me several hundred dollars to have fixed.

No one is ever going to drive a vehicle on my property again without a written agreement to fix any damage they do.

I'm in the construction industry. Not residential but it doesn't matter. He needs to fix your yard and he screwed himself based on what you said he said. Him telling you that it happens on all these types of projects leads me to believe that he could have reasonably expected damage to your yard and left the area in the same manner as before he started the job. He could have included this additional work in his negotiated cost but at least he should have informed you that additional cost should be expected if you want your yard back the way it was after the job. He knew damage to your yard was likely and didn't tell you till after he left.

Throw a molotov cocktail into his truck and say you were aiming for the terrorist that was walking by at the time. You ain't responsible for collateral damage caused by fighting terrorism.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm in the construction industry. Not residential but it doesn't matter. He needs to fix your yard and he screwed himself based on what you said he said. Him telling you that it happens on all these types of projects leads me to believe that he could have reasonably expected damage to your yard and left the area in the same manner as before he started the job. He could have included this additional work in his negotiated cost but at least he should have informed you that additional cost should be expected if you want your yard back the way it was after the job. He knew damage to your yard was likely and didn't tell you till after he left.

this, I've seen them lay plywood to try and protect the vehicle paths. My neighbor one house done, had a big patio entertainment add on, and they put his back the way they found it

My parents had a contractor put an addition on their kitchen. The backyard subsequently was torn up from the work. This was in the middle of winter so all they were able to do was throw some rye seed on it(because it's about the only grass seed that will grow when it's cold), threw some straw on top and called it a day. That is pretty much all this man can and probably will do. You'll have to fertilize and water it yourself if you want it to grow. Just make sure he puts down seed that matches the rest of your yard. You can aerate and overseed in the fall if need be.

Reactions: 2 people
My parents had a contractor put an addition on their kitchen. The backyard subsequently was torn up from the work. This was in the middle of winter so all they were able to do was throw some rye seed on it(because it's about the only grass seed that will grow when it's cold), threw some straw on top and called it a day. That is pretty much all this man can and probably will do. You'll have to fertilize and water it yourself if you want it to grow. Just make sure he puts down seed that matches the rest of your yard. You can aerate and overseed in the fall if need be.
Throwing grass seed on the ground ain't gonna fix the ruts caused by the heavy vehicles driving across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back