Aliens

MT LeConte

I have come to the conclusion that if we ever encounter alien intelligence and they don't have a concept of humor they will probably wipe us out.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep. We just have to look to our own simple history to show what vastly superior civilizations do to the uncivilized.
They're gonna make us low level employees of the east India trading co?

Reactions: 5 people
2-why-aliens-don-t-talk-to-us-meme.jpg

This is quite thoughtless. You have no idea who is initiating this yet to exist encounter.

It's not thoughtless at all. I just explained it. We can't leave our solar system. So they'd have to intimate. Meaning they'd be more advanced than us. It's simple.

The Vulcans are probably observing us now, but we're a good 47 years away from warp speed flight. They likely won't contact us until then.

It's not thoughtless at all. I just explained it. We can't leave our solar system. So they'd have to intimate. Meaning they'd be more advanced than us. It's simple.

No it isn't. This first meeting could be 5000 years from now. You have no idea of our capabilities whenever this meeting takes place.

With so many unknowns, it is quite dumb to assume one is more likely than the other.

No it isn't. This first meeting could be 5000 years from now. You have no idea of our capabilities whenever this meeting takes place.

With so many unknowns, it is quite dumb to assume one is more likely than the other.

depends on where you think we fall in the Great Filter and the Fermi Paradox.

or if you want to think about it on the level of chance it is much more likely to be found than find.

to even consider we are the most advanced species in the galaxy or that we will first find an inferior species is not playing the odds and a much safer bet would be on us not having the edge. the only real safe bet would be that we and whatever species we find are on mostly equal footing in the bell curve of technology in the galaxy.

You know nothing of the other species. How many different ones there are, in how many different locations, and at what stages they exist. To think you are inferior to the first ones you meet is just as great a leap of faith as to thinking you are superior.

Yes. Because when I said "if we encounter aliens", I meant "if my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great (add few hundred more in there) grandchildren encounter aliens 5000 years from now".

That's clearly the "we" I meant

Reactions: 2 people
Yes. Because when I said "if we encounter aliens", I meant "if my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great (add few hundred more in there) grandchildren encounter aliens 5000 years from now".

That's clearly the "we" I meant

If you think you are encountering them in your lifetime, you will be greatly disappointed.

depends on where you think we fall in the Great Filter and the Fermi Paradox.

or if you want to think about it on the level of chance it is much more likely to be found than find.

to even consider we are the most advanced species in the galaxy or that we will first find an inferior species is not playing the odds and a much safer bet would be on us not having the edge. the only real safe bet would be that we and whatever species we find are on mostly equal footing in the bell curve of technology in the galaxy.

You know nothing of the other species. How many different ones there are, in how many different locations, and at what stages they exist. To think you are inferior to the first ones you meet is just as great a leap of faith as to thinking you are superior.

agreed. but even a difference of 1% would be catastrophic.

but even with the sheer amount of possibilities you can reasonably hold to some likely truths. any species we encounter with intelligence will be the dominant species of their world. and therefore will have some level aggressive/expansionist tendencies that will push technology in certain ways. basically any intelligent life we discover will have a military or capability of defending itself and will see us as a threat.

Anytime I want to see an alien I drive to Home Depot. They hang out in the parking lot looking for work.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back