Anyone here Uber?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Any of you ridden with or drive for Uber?

How does the pricing work? And I assume you just request a ride through the Uber app?

How does the pricing work? And I assume you just request a ride through the Uber app?

Yes. You can get estimates too. You'll get a pic of the car and driver picking you up. You can see on the map where the car is, where all Uber cars are. And it'll tell you how long until someone can pick you up. It's all done on map placement. Download it and check it out.

Yes. You can get estimates too. You'll get a pic of the car and driver picking you up. You can see on the map where the car is, where all Uber cars are. And it'll tell you how long until someone can pick you up. It's all done on map placement. Download it and check it out.

This

I've used it several times and every car has been very nice and clean. Pretty different than using a cab that either has the smell of curry or dried vomit.

I find the whole concept pretty intriguing. Do the drivers make decent money, for what I assume is probably a part-time gig for them?

I find the whole concept pretty intriguing. Do the drivers make decent money, for what I assume is probably a part-time gig for them?

I think the answer to that depends on location. Was picked up in NJ - car was crazy clean, driver was super nice, carried on a good conversation about the area, etc. It was his full time gig and he did pretty well with it. One of my sons friends did it around Knoxville and I believe he quit because he wasn't making enough.

Depends on location and time you choose to drive. You can be smart about it and make some decent money. However, you need to figure wear and tear on your vehicle and most insurance carriers will jack up your auto insurance premiums.

I think the answer to that depends on location. Was picked up in NJ - car was crazy clean, driver was super nice, carried on a good conversation about the area, etc. It was his full time gig and he did pretty well with it. One of my sons friends did it around Knoxville and I believe he quit because he wasn't making enough.

I imagine it could be much more of a full time gig in a big city. I'd say, around Knoxville, it's probably a weekend thing.

Depends on location and time you choose to drive. You can be smart about it and make some decent money. However, you need to figure wear and tear on your vehicle and most insurance carriers will jack up your auto insurance premiums.
Who's gonna tell them about it? :)

I imagine it could be much more of a full time gig in a big city. I'd say, around Knoxville, it's probably a weekend thing.

Who's gonna tell them about it? :)

I signed up to do it on the side and a month later I got a notice from USAA that if I'm using my vehicle for business...especially ride share that I would have to pay an increased premium. Plus if you get in a wreck while driving for Uber, would be kinduv hard to keep that from them.

Did he do it during football season? I came up for the UGA game last season and got an Uber around town all weekend. One of the drivers I had said he drove from Pigeon Forge every weekend during football season because he made some good extra money doing it.

Freak are you more curious about working for them or using the service. I can tell you that it's the best service you can use as far as public transportation

The drivers love it. I've asked 20 different guys.

One great thing about uber is it's all based off reputation. Cabs are notoriously racist, hence the jokes that blacks in NYC can't hail a cab. Uber drivers see your rating when they accept your fare, not your skin color.

My wife and I went to a friend's wedding in Fort Worth last year and made a night of it. Got a hotel room and used Uber to go to a couple of bars. It was a really nice user experience and inexpensive.

I use it all of the time when I'm on business trips. It's great and much cheaper and quicker than cabs

Started using it quite a bit on business trips. I like being able to see where they are instead of standing on the corner waiting.

My sister got hit with a $542 bill for one short ride last week. They had it taken care of in a day or 2 after contacting them thru Facebook but it was pretty funny to see the miles and time it said she spent in that car

Uber drivers are covered under Uber's insurance from beginning of trip to destination (basically from when they hit start to when they hit finish). At least that is how a friend of mine who drives Uber explained it to me.

Uber drivers are covered under Uber's insurance from beginning of trip to destination (basically from when they hit start to when they hit finish). At least that is how a friend of mine who drives Uber explained it to me.

Only covers liability...does not cover comprehensive or collision

Used it in Nashville and Chicago - all very positive experiences.

I'm going to try driving for them this Summer.

VN Store

Back