VN Lawn Experts

g8terh8ter_eric

No Disassemble!
I'm about to reseed my back yard. I've dethatched it once, after applying some Scott's Weed and Feed, and boy does that stuff work wonders. I'm going to give it another two weeks and let it work a bit longer, and dethatch it one more time, before reseeding the bare spots left.

Here's where I need some good seeding advice. My back yard gets good sun up until the trees fill in, and then its pretty much spotty sun with mostly shade. What would some of you use to spread? Would you mix a cool season grass with a dense shade mix, just do a tall fescue, or something different. This is my first season starting here at our new home, so just looking for some differing opinions to work with.

I'm about to reseed my back yard. I've dethatched it once, after applying some Scott's Weed and Feed, and boy does that stuff work wonders. I'm going to give it another two weeks and let it work a bit longer, and dethatch it one more time, before reseeding the bare spots left.

Here's where I need some good seeding advice. My back yard gets good sun up until the trees fill in, and then its pretty much spotty sun with mostly shade. What would some of you use to spread? Would you mix a cool season grass with a dense shade mix, just do a tall fescue, or something different. This is my first season starting here at our new home, so just looking for some differing opinions to work with.

If you used weed and feed granular you want to wait no less than 4 weeks after application. The weed control part of the weed and feed stops seeds from germinating. You could go with a sun and shade seed mix. The back of the bag tells you what type of grass is included, typically it's a Fescue which is what you want unless you are working with a southern type of lawn like Bermuda.

Reactions: 1 person

If it were my yard I would wait until the fall at this point. If it gets substantial shade get a tall fescue, creeping red fescue mix. Also, depending on type of trees you may need to put down some lime. Test your soil to know for sure.

If you used weed and feed granular you want to wait no less than 4 weeks after application. The weed control part of the weed and feed stops seeds from germinating. You could go with a sun and shade seed mix. The back of the bag tells you what type of grass is included, typically it's a Fescue which is what you want unless you are working with a southern type of lawn like Bermuda.

This!

I have a question for the experts. Looking to reseed my back yard. Very shady, lots of water oaks towering over. I have lots of weeds now with little to no grass. Lots of bald patches. Outside of putting down sod, what can I do?

I have a question for the experts. Looking to reseed my back yard. Very shady, lots of water oaks towering over. I have lots of weeds now with little to no grass. Lots of bald patches. Outside of putting down sod, what can I do?

My guess is you have multiple things going on. To best fix your problem a soil test is probably needed. I suspect the trees are robbing the soil of nutrients and water that your grass needed to survive. What type of grass makes up the rest of your lawn?

I have no idea. I only really know the difference between grass and weeds. The grass that makes up the rest of my yard is thinner bladded and not very thick. It grows fast though. The subdivision is still rather new. My house was built in 2006. It all used to be woods and farmland. I am suspecting that they never really cared about the backyard and tossed down whatever for seed. It's a bunch of woods starting at the back of my fence. My back yard is relatively small.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I only really know the difference between grass and weeds. The grass that makes up the rest of my yard is thinner bladded and not very thick. It grows fast though. The subdivision is still rather new. My house was built in 2006. It all used to be woods and farmland. I am suspecting that they never really cared about the backyard and tossed down whatever for seed. It's a bunch of woods starting at the back of my fence. My back yard is relatively small.

Probably Bermuda.

You can pull a soil sample and have it tested. More than likely the bare spots are from grubs and/or a fungi. Post a pic up of some of the weeds and I'll make some recommendations. I suspect 2-4D will take out most of your weeds. But would best if I had some pics.

Probably Bermuda.

You can pull a soil sample and have it tested. More than likely the bare spots are from grubs and/or a fungi. Post a pic up of some of the weeds and I'll make some recommendations. I suspect 2-4D will take out most of your weeds. But would best if I had some pics.

I'll get some pics of the back yard posted by this evening. Appreciate the help!

2-4D will kill about 85% of your weed problem.

It's going to leave it bare though. I didn't see much Bermuda pressure there but it is still early.

I would spray it. Don't mow it first. After spraying it, I'd wait 3-5 days then mow and trim as usual. Hit it with a good fertilizer and water it good. After about 10-14 days I'd seed it.

If you can get your hands on a aerator, I'd do that right before seeding.

Depending on the day time temps, I'd mix my chemical accordingly. If it's 85 degrees mix at about 3-4 ounces per gallon. Below 85, 6-8 ounces per gallon. Spray till plants are wet.

You will have some grassy weeds to spray later. But we need to get a good base going before that.

Let me know if you have any more questions

2-4D will kill about 85% of your weed problem.

It's going to leave it bare though. I didn't see much Bermuda pressure there but it is still early.

I would spray it. Don't mow it first. After spraying it, I'd wait 3-5 days then mow and trim as usual. Hit it with a good fertilizer and water it good. After about 10-14 days I'd seed it.

If you can get your hands on a aerator, I'd do that right before seeding.

Depending on the day time temps, I'd mix my chemical accordingly. If it's 85 degrees mix at about 3-4 ounces per gallon. Below 85, 6-8 ounces per gallon. Spray till plants are wet.

You will have some grassy weeds to spray later. But we need to get a good base going before that.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Much appreciated!

well an old method is to pick separate patches and piss on em and see what happens

it is a fairly inexpensive method,other than having to drink a lot of water :)

VN Store

Back