Visiting Knoxville in March.

GreyWolf1129

Get off my planet.
I will be attending the IAMI (International Association of Marine Investigators) Conference in Knoxville, March 13th - 17th. My wife will accompany me. Although I was raised in the Knoxville area, that was 30+ years ago. We vacation in the Smokies every spring, but rarely make it over to the city. When we do make it to a UT football game, it's usually a one-day trip. So.....

There will be the usual "conference sponsored" social hours and dinners at area establishments, but we would like to take a few side trips, time permitting. Having said that, I would appreciate any recommendations on the following:

- best steakhouse where the medium rare ribeye is worth the price;
- pubs with local craft brews (specifically Lagers and IPA's) that you would drive an hour to get to;
- local museums that feature area history;
- is there any place on the Strip anymore where you can be 50 and still fit in?
- if there is a good Greek restaurant in the area, we would love to know about it.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations you can provide.

Go Vols.

I will be attending the IAMI (International Association of Marine Investigators) Conference in Knoxville, March 13th - 17th. My wife will accompany me. Although I was raised in the Knoxville area, that was 30+ years ago. We vacation in the Smokies every spring, but rarely make it over to the city. When we do make it to a UT football game, it's usually a one-day trip. So.....

There will be the usual "conference sponsored" social hours and dinners at area establishments, but we would like to take a few side trips, time permitting. Having said that, I would appreciate any recommendations on the following:

- pubs with local craft brews (specifically Lagers and IPA's) that you would drive an hour to get to;
- if there is a good Greek restaurant in the area, we would love to know about it.

Go Vols.

Fleming's.
Casual Pint.
You might fit in at Zaxby's on the strip. There's not a lot going on there right now save for construction.

-Ye Olde Steakhouse
-Casual Pint just off Market Square Downtown or Central Flats and Taps
-The strip sux, stick to Market Square.

If you aren't afraid to drive, Foothills Milling Company in Maryville is head of the class in area dining.

Oh, and Peros on Northshore is the only Greek place I know of, unfortunately. Wish somebody would open one!

While not a Greek restaurant, Gondolier has pretty good gyros and souvlaki.

Casual Pint is OK but CAN NOT SERVE HIGH GRAVITY beers.

You ever go to sutrys since they do have high gravs? Used to go there a year plus back when I was still in school

The beer garden is somewhat of a cool place to chill and get a drink or two

Oh, and Peros on Northshore is the only Greek place I know of, unfortunately. Wish somebody would open one!

Kalamata Kitchen! You remember that one?

It was in Farragut right in front of Putt Putt Golf and Games.

Kalamata Kitchen! You remember that one?

It was in Farragut right in front of Putt Putt Golf and Games.

Yeah, that's been awhile. I think they moved to where Peros is now, for a bit.

The best Greek restaurant we've had here was in Turkey Creek, adjoining what was a pretty darn good Italian place. They weren't open long, maybe 2 years? That space is now La Parilla.

Ruth's Chris or Flemming's. NOT Ye Olde for what you are searching

Preservation Pub in market square, numerous restaurants with good selections (Nama, Stock and Barrel, Mellow Mushroom, Brixx). Casual Pint is OK but CAN NOT SERVE HIGH GRAVITY beers. That eliminates most anything good.

Museum of East Tennessee History | East Tennessee Historical Society

He's looking for lagers and IPAs. While there are several high grav IPAs that are main stream in the craft beer world, there aren't so many lagers. That makes me think the selection at the Pint will be just fine.

I'm surprised you're a Pres Pub guy. I would agree that Suttree's is the better option for high grav stuff.

Honestly, I don't get downtown very often anymore, but I remember that Pres Pub has quite the selection. Have not been to Suttree's.

Go Vols.

Re: Strip

Cherokee Grill/Copper Cellar

Or

Mellow Mushroom

Go Vols.

Best local craft beers- Blackhorse Pub and Brewery in Western Plaza..They just did anew IPA "Mrs Robinson's" and it's excellent

Enjoy your trip

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. We have a list of places to see, and try.

Driving up Sunday the 13th. Conference ends Wednesday evening. We're going to "head for the mountains" for the weekend, and then turn south on Sunday afternoon. Good to smell the mountain air again. Although I've been in Georgia for most of the years of my life now, East Tennessee will always be "home". Especially the Smokies, and Neyland Stadium. My wife, who is a Virginia military brat, tells me we will retire there. I let her win that discussion early on.

So...thanks for the help. If any of you are ever down this way (St. Simons / Jekyll / Cumberland Island), gimme a shout. I'll try to repay the favor.

Go Vols.

Do plan on hiking at all? I can recommend anything from a nice walk with awesome falls to the most picturesque views that demand some work to get to.

Do plan on hiking at all? I can recommend anything from a nice walk with awesome falls to the most picturesque views that demand some work to get to.

I grew up in the Smokies, and since we met, Diana and I have hit just about every known trail that leads to a waterfall or a stunning view. Too much to list here, but if you have any "secret spots", we'd love to hear about them. Of course, once you post it here...no longer secret.

Heading up in the AM. So far, we have Fleming's, Casual Pint, Foothills Milling Company, and Peros on our list. We'll scope out as much of Market Square as we can, since we're close by. Side trip to the Museum of ET History. And a visit to the Veteran's Cemetery. I need to stop by and chat with my Dad for a few.

Have been tracking the news about the lawsuit. While the MSM seems, for the most part, to be enjoying a brisk game of "Dogpile on the Rabbit", something about this whole deal just doesn't pass the smell test with me.
Staying out of the fray on VN, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a dead cat somewhere in the plaintiffs house. Time will tell.

Having said that, we are looking forward to being back in God's Country for a few days, and also looking forward to seeing Team 120 plant their flag atop the SEC, if not an even loftier peak. This is Butch's chance to prove that his staff selection, coaching, game planning, and in-game decisions are as good as his recruiting. We hope he silences his doubters this year.

And finally...thanks for the info, and GO VOLS!

Just a heads up on Foothills Milling Company, you might consider giving them a call to make a reservation. They have a tendency to fill up quickly.

I grew up in the Smokies, and since we met, Diana and I have hit just about every known trail that leads to a waterfall or a stunning view. Too much to list here, but if you have any "secret spots", we'd love to hear about them. Of course, once you post it here...no longer secret.

Heading up in the AM. So far, we have Fleming's, Casual Pint, Foothills Milling Company, and Peros on our list. We'll scope out as much of Market Square as we can, since we're close by. Side trip to the Museum of ET History. And a visit to the Veteran's Cemetery. I need to stop by and chat with my Dad for a few.

Have been tracking the news about the lawsuit. While the MSM seems, for the most part, to be enjoying a brisk game of "Dogpile on the Rabbit", something about this whole deal just doesn't pass the smell test with me.
Staying out of the fray on VN, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a dead cat somewhere in the plaintiffs house. Time will tell.

Having said that, we are looking forward to being back in God's Country for a few days, and also looking forward to seeing Team 120 plant their flag atop the SEC, if not an even loftier peak. This is Butch's chance to prove that his staff selection, coaching, game planning, and in-game decisions are as good as his recruiting. We hope he silences his doubters this year.

And finally...thanks for the info, and GO VOLS!

Good deal. Sounds like a great line up. Grab sushi at Nama if you're into that.

No secrets on hiking: I love middle prong trail for falls, mount LeConte is an amazing trip, and Rocky Top is the best view I've seen (although a bit of work to get there!).

Enjoy your time!

No secrets on hiking: I love middle prong trail for falls, mount LeConte is an amazing trip, and Rocky Top is the best view I've seen (although a bit of work to get there!).

Enjoy your time!

Have you done Mt. Cammerer? Pretty amazing view as well.

Enjoy your time!

By chance, we ended up having dinner at Nama yesterday. We both love sushi, and Nama did not disappoint.

Both Preservation Pub and Suttree's were nice. The eclectic crowd at Suttree's is worth the short walk.

Just got back from lunch at Stock & Barrel. Awesome burgers and fries. Had to pass on the bourbon (Wautash has to function this afternoon), but we will go back one evening. Knob Creek or Woodford?

Middle Prong Trail. Yes. We've found a couple of other gems on some of the hiking / walker blogs. We might start working the NC side when we come back for our annual vacation in May.

What a joy it is to be able to see Neyland Stadium, the Tennessee River, and the distant Smokies all from one window. If I hit the lottery, I'm building on top of the Hilton...lol.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back