What is the one thing you felt you were the least prepared for with adulthood?

Brave Volunteer

I think most people once they are faced with adulthood find things about being a responsible adult they just don't feel they were prepared for. There are aspects about adult life that either your parents didn't properly prepare you for or you underestimated it's impact on your life. My question to all of you is, what would that one thing be for you??

I can tell you without hesitation that mine is time management. It's something that I struggle with almost on a daily/weekly basis. When I was single it wasn't much of an issue. However now that I'm married and have 2 kids, I find myself feeling frustrated at having hardly any time at all just for myself anymore. I love my wife and kids dearly, however it really can feel imprisoning at times when so much time and energy is devoted to them. There are days where I feel like I want to come home and the house just be completely empty and I can enjoy the sweet sound of silence. However those days never come. Is there a true solution? Probably not. It's just an internal struggle I have to grin and bare. I wonder if my Mom and Dad ever felt that way when I was a kid?

Reactions: 1 person
People expecting me to act like an adult.

seconded. the main thing for me is people expecting me to know what to do in any given situation. Choosing insurance, choosing 401k options, knowing how to respond to the IRS, knowing how to deal with government red tape etc etc.

Major financial transactions. Although I do much better now, but I was sheltered way too long.

seconded. the main thing for me is people expecting me to know what to do in any given situation. Choosing insurance, choosing 401k options, knowing how to respond to the IRS, knowing how to deal with government red tape etc etc.

I'll go farther than that, just problem solving in general and how much weight that is on an adult's shoulders. I don't think I ever understood growing up just how much problem solving you face as an adult on daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis. Whether it's finances, repairs, scheduling, parenting, planning, etc.

I was always healthy as a kid so I was not prepared to get older and deal with maintenance. I'm 34 and my wife went through cancer hell and I've had some health issues over the last 2 years. It's actually kind of a blessing in disguise because we both have lived to tell about it and it changed our mindsets. I used to eat whatever and was as lazy as I wanted to be. I went years without going to the dentist or to the doctor for a checkup. Etc. We make a lot better decisions about our health now, specifically diet and the right kind of exercise.

Choosing insurance is definitely an experience that nothing else will prepare you to understand.

I wonder if my Mom and Dad ever felt that way when I was a kid?

Almost guarantee it.

Is there a solution easier than dropping out, divorce, giving it all away, living under a bridge, or death - no.

You are an adult man/woman leading, what sounds to be, a responsible life.

I used too feel the exact same way as you. I found my solution and you will, too.

Now, the hardest thing for me trasistioning into adulthood, was that first time I realized there are no more 3 month summer vacations for me. That sucked!

I always knew there would be bills like house, car, utilities, etc. it's the small stuff that I wasn't prepared to break me. Clothes, toilet paper, toothpaste, groceries. Those things are a bigger chunk of a budget than I had realized.

Financial aspects of life. I wish high school or college would have required you to take a class on investing.

I have been getting in the investment game lately. I wish I would have started earlier.

Reactions: 2 people
Losing a child.

You have lost a lot brother. Enough to test any man. I know what you have been through. I've kept up with you.

I'm very sorry for you. I've prayed. I've cried.

We are here for you brother. Just ask.....

VN Store

Back