Utah/Wyoming/Colorado vacation

volfanCLT

Well-Hung Member
Hey all, my wife and I are planning a trip out west in May to celebrate her graduating PT school.

So far we like the idea of Utah and Wyoming but are just looking for suggestions from anyone who has made a vacation out of it before, as we have not.

Right now we are looking at flying into Salt Lake and then making the drive (about 4.5 hrs) up to Yellowstone and also looking at stopping in Grand Teton National Park. We will take our time and enjoy it out there. Planning on staying a week or a little longer.

We love the outdoors and are planning on doing some hiking while we are out there. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks guys

Spend some time around the town of Jackson when you go to Teton. Plenty of trails in the park from day hiking amongst the lakes to backpacking up in the peaks. After Yellowstone I would personally circle back through Idaho for more sightseeing. Craters of the Moon is gorgeous. Salt Lake City is also worth your time, even if you just visit the Tabernacle and drive out to the salt flats. Check for when the roads in the parks open because some may still be closed in May.

My visit was on a 3 week road trip/backpacking 10 years ago, so take all of my advice with a grain of salt, but honestly, if you like the outdoors, you'll have a great time.

All suggestions so far are spot on. I would also like to add Arches National Park if given the chance as it's the other way from the other areas. But pretty cool nonetheless.

A family friend owns a hotel in Jackson Hole called "The Wort". I highly recommend it.

The Wort is awesome
I didn't stay there, but between Christmas and New Year, we skied Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee, and I went to lunch there and walked around it

It's on my list to stay there.....

Reactions: 1 person
Enki, we will absolutely check out that hotel. Looks pretty awesome.

Thanks so far guys. We love the outdoors so might look into swinging back through Idaho for some more sightseeing.

Jackson looks like a place we will be stoping for sure.

My only suggestion is to go now while the slopes are open

Hey all, my wife and I are planning a trip out west in May to celebrate her graduating PT school.

So far we like the idea of Utah and Wyoming but are just looking for suggestions from anyone who has made a vacation out of it before, as we have not.

Right now we are looking at flying into Salt Lake and then making the drive (about 4.5 hrs) up to Yellowstone and also looking at stopping in Grand Teton National Park. We will take our time and enjoy it out there. Planning on staying a week or a little longer.

We love the outdoors and are planning on doing some hiking while we are out there. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks guys

The mosquitoes at Grand Teton could carry away a small child. Take lots of Skin So Soft. They also offer a rafting trip down the Snake river that is very scenic. Yellowstone is great. You'll get plenty of exercise there. I can't remember what state Mammoth State Park is in, but it's pretty cool, as is Zion. Have a great trip.

Some questions...what can you spend? Do you want to stay in stay in town, or closer to what you are really going there to do? Do you want to hike or boat or horseback ride, rafting on the Snake? How many actual days will you have on site?...two pieces of advice..#1 May is very iffy weather wise. The farther you get into June the better. But go three weeks in and the crowds start getting really bad. First or second week of June is a great time. Less crowded, lots of animals and their newly born young ones, still lots of snow laying on the mountains...#2 split your stay 2-3 days GTNP, 2-3 days in Yellowstone. Yellowstone has to be planned to get the most out of your time. It is freaking HUGE. Always guess way on the high end on driving time. The Grand loop road in Yellowstone is basically a giant figure eight. With sights all along it. You MUST research it to maximize your time, or you will literally spend hours going out of your way...One more little hint...When you go see Grand Prismatic spring, there is trail that goes up to the top of the hill behind it...trust me it is one of the most spectacular sights on this earth, and you can not see it at ground level. Any question or information you can give me on your wants and things to do, just leave here and I will try to answer...oh one more thing..look up Moultonranchcabins.com..they are centrally located in the Jackson Hole valley...once again driving time is a killer. If you stay in Jackson, you will spend a large portion of your time just driving to the park...study maps and sites brother before you go...trust me.

Last edited:
There are some beautiful sights on the way, and around The Greater Yellowstone area, but dude seriously it will take your week just to experience the best sites. We spent 6 days on site in 2011 with no wasted time, and did not get to everything we wanted to see. You can shop and eat anywhere you go on earth, Jackson is cool, but not worth missing the beauties of the park for, it is just another touristy Gatlinburg type place. The Parks are why you go in summer. Mosquitoes are not going to be too bad in late may or early June unless they have had an unusually mild winter. Heck it snowed on us on June 16th in Yellowstone. The Tram at Jackson Hole ski resort is a must do.

Thanks Ulysses.

We are looking at probably the 2nd week of May due to other circumstances both before and after so that will be the week we head out.

We are looking to hike, possibly raft/boat if that's a possibility, and horse back riding would be great.

We aren't set on where we want to go and how long we will be there. I'm thinking Yellowstone will probably be around a 3 day adventure and we would probably want to stay close to the park if that's possible. Grand Teton NP will prob be a couple days as well.

I will definitely start doing some research and planning for the NP, that's a huge help. Would suck to get up there and waste all our time driving around.

What's the weather around early to mid May? Looking online says expect 50's during the day on average?

Reactions: 1 person
It will be a little chilly up near Yellowstone. If that is a concern, you might also consider the Zion / Bryce Canyon area in S. Utah. I've been to both and they were awesome, especially Zion. Northern rim of Grand Canyon also nearby.

Thanks Ulysses.

We are looking at probably the 2nd week of May due to other circumstances both before and after so that will be the week we head out.

We are looking to hike, possibly raft/boat if that's a possibility, and horse back riding would be great.

We aren't set on where we want to go and how long we will be there. I'm thinking Yellowstone will probably be around a 3 day adventure and we would probably want to stay close to the park if that's possible. Grand Teton NP will prob be a couple days as well.

I will definitely start doing some research and planning for the NP, that's a huge help. Would suck to get up there and waste all our time driving around.

What's the weather around early to mid May? Looking online says expect 50's during the day on average?

Brother mid May is a crap shoot on weather, you may get lucky and you may get screwed. There is no "average" day there, the weather is very extreme. For example we were there for 6 days, in June 12-17 2011, we spent the first 3 days in GTNP at Colter Bay village cabins then moved to Yellowstone and stayed in YNP at mammoth hot springs lodge and cabins. The weather was sunny and mid 60s when we got there in the 12th. It started out beautiful on the 13th in the morning, then heavy monsoon like rain half the day and all night, next morning started out cloudy and then cleared and temperature dropped down into the low 50s, that night it dropped down to 28 degrees. It snowed on us in Yellowstone one day, and shut down some of the roads at high elevation, and Heart Lake was still frozen (it was the worst and latest winter in 50 years that year, Jackson lake in GTNP was still frozen over in late May that year) check out the National Park service schedules and closures for the time your going at NPS.gov...seriously check out moultonranchcabins.com. They are centrally located in Jackson hole. By the way, everybody calls the city of Jackson, Jackson Hole, but that is wrong. Jackson Hole means Jackson Valley, it is a huge valley with the Tetons on the West, and the Gros Ventre and Absaroka mountain ranges to the east.....research research research RESEARCH...You will be awed and have a great time no matter when you go...Trip advisor is a great resource for links to places that provide rafting, horseback riding, lodging. There is a guy on there username is TetonBill, he is awesome with local info. On TA go to "Things to do in Grand Teton National park, and Things to do in Yellowstone National Park."...Sorry if that is too much, I just love the place and love helping others get the most out of it. Especially somebody like my family with limited resources.

Last edited:
May is considered snowmelt time. Not much in way of watersports. The snake will be blown out. Fishing small creeks for baby cuts is worthwhile :) i know youre not in to fish. Hiking Targhee is a must, as is stopping for breakfast at Noras Fish Creek Inn!! The drive to Targee through Teton Pass to Driggs will take a solild 30-35 minutes. Id knock that out and then drive back to the Ski resort and ride the tram after stopping for lunch at Mangy Moose area for lunch (all in same area). Then go for a drink at Million Dollas Cowboy bar. Voila! Youve seen and done Jackson Hole. Now. move on to Yellowstone. Id stay at Lake Yellowstone Hotel it is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Panoramics of the Absarokas. have fun man.

Never. And I mean never..... Use the word Jackson and Gatlinburg together in the same sentence.

i mean i get the comparison. but that is waay off base. besides Gatlinburg doesnt have the drive thru liquor stores.

May is considered snowmelt time. Not much in way of watersports. The snake will be blown out. Fishing small creeks for baby cuts is worthwhile :) i know youre not in to fish. Hiking Targhee is a must, as is stopping for breakfast at Noras Fish Creek Inn!! The drive to Targee through Teton Pass to Driggs will take a solild 30-35 minutes. Id knock that out and then drive back to the Ski resort and ride the tram after stopping for lunch at Mangy Moose area for lunch (all in same area). Then go for a drink at Million Dollas Cowboy bar. Voila! Youve seen and done Jackson Hole. Now. move on to Yellowstone. Id stay at Lake Yellowstone Hotel it is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Panoramics of the Absarokas. have fun man.
Got to go have a quick look at the National Elk Preserve. Seeing those things up close is insane.

Got to go have a quick look at the National Elk Preserve. Seeing those things up close is insane.

at night we'd walk across from the dorms to the Lake employee pub. there'd be a full grown male bison hanging out, which you dont see till youre right up on him. thats when you walk back inside and find another way there.

truthfully i wouldnt mess with any of the hooved animals. Moose are no joke either.

VN Store

Back