Stucco Inspections

CanadianVol

Scenario: We're under contract with a buyer, who's due diligence is up Tuesday. They have hired a stucco inspector who is coming Monday. He just sent us an "invasive inspection" authorization form. Basically they're going to drill holes in our house to test for moisture. They say the seal and color match the holes, but something about this makes me really uncomfortable. Anybody had this done? If so, was it as advertised?

I owned a 90 year old stucco home in Indy and never had this done either when I bought or sold. I would question the value - get another opinion.

can you get them to put some on some where and see what it looks like ? keep it hidden of course

We refused to sign the form. The last line says "Owner will not hold Inspection Company, liable for the appearance, damage or function of repaired areas invasively or destructively tested." When I read that I was out. We told them they can find another inspector, but I'm not signing something that says if they damage my house they're not liable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We refused to sign the form. The last line says "Owner will not hold EIFS & Stucco Inspections, Inc., liable for the appearance, damage or function of repaired areas invasively or destructively tested." When I read that I was out. We told them they can find another inspector, but I'm not signing something that says if they damage my house they're not liable.
Good. I was gonna suggest tell them they aren't drilling any holes in your house anyway.

You might lose your buyer over it. It is the most common testing procedure.

I've got a guy in 'Nooga that does it without drilling holes. High dollar moisture meter and infrared camera or something.

Let me know if want his info.

You might lose your buyer over it. It is the most common testing procedure.

I've got a guy in 'Nooga that does it without drilling holes. High dollar moisture meter and infrared camera or something.

Let me know if want his info.

Thanks for the offer. Being in Atlanta, they may not want to hire someone from out of state. I have no problem with the process, but I have a problem with the inspector abstaining from any repercussions if they damage my house.

They agreed to not do the stucco inspection, and sent an amendment to reduce the purchase price by a small amount. Due diligence is over, onto the next step!

They agreed to not do the stucco inspection, and sent an amendment to reduce the purchase price by a small amount. Due diligence is over, onto the next step!

You handled it the right way. You had the choice to back out if they lowered the price below your comfort level. Never accept the liability of the actions of another party. That is just wrong and taking undue risk.

Reactions: 2 people
Initial amendment was $5K and replace the hot water heater. We settled on $1,600 and they can replace the hot water heater when it's actually broken and not just "old"

This sounds very reasonable; good luck closing out the deal. Out of curiosity, was there any suggestion of water damage which led to the stucco inspection request?

This sounds very reasonable; good luck closing out the deal. Out of curiosity, was there any suggestion of water damage which led to the stucco inspection request?

Not to my knowledge. There was a couple cracks at the bottom of the house from settling, but nothing else major. There were a couple holes I patched when I bought it. Basically the original inspector said he had no experience with synthetic stucco and suggested they get a stucco inspector to check it out.

Scenario: We're under contract with a buyer, who's due diligence is up Tuesday. They have hired a stucco inspector who is coming Monday. He just sent us an "invasive inspection" authorization form. Basically they're going to drill holes in our house to test for moisture. They say the seal and color match the holes, but something about this makes me really uncomfortable. Anybody had this done? If so, was it as advertised?

I did home inspections for a while and never heard of this. I would ask your realtor if this is required and a common practice in your area. Is your stucco in good shape?

I did home inspections for a while and never heard of this. I would ask your realtor if this is required and a common practice in your area. Is your stucco in good shape?

Apparently it's normal in the area. We are FSBO, so it was hard to push back, but I wasn't putting that liability on me, or the future home owners.

Apparently it's normal in the area. We are FSBO, so it was hard to push back, but I wasn't putting that liability on me, or the future home owners.

Are the buyer's lender requiring this inspection to be done in order to get the loan?

There were big time problems around here with Dryvit years ago and stucco still carries a stigma in some people's eyes.

There were big time problems around here with Dryvit years ago and stucco still carries a stigma in some people's eyes.

Yeah, I learned that through this process. We've loved the look of it, but think i'd avoid buying it going forward. We're buildings, so we'll make sure the elevation we choose has no stucco on it. I think it's pretty rare now.

Initial amendment was $5K and replace the hot water heater. We settled on $1,600 and they can replace the hot water heater when it's actually broken and not just "old"

You came out well on that deal...downside risk could cost a lot more than that. 👍

Not to my knowledge. There was a couple cracks at the bottom of the house from settling, but nothing else major. There were a couple holes I patched when I bought it. Basically the original inspector said he had no experience with synthetic stucco and suggested they get a stucco inspector to check it out.

Covering his a$$...

Yeah, I learned that through this process. We've loved the look of it, but think i'd avoid buying it going forward. We're buildings, so we'll make sure the elevation we choose has no stucco on it. I think it's pretty rare now.

going through a developer?

do you mind if I ask the name of the developer? I might now them or know of them. not that it would help you just curious.

VN Store

Back