Vol family needs your support

brink637

Hi Volnation -

As some of my friends on here know, my family is facing serious adversity right now and I'm asking for support from anyone who would be generous enough to provide it. Last year, my wife was diagnosed with a life-threatening form of cancer while she was pregnant with our daughter. Immediately, we began pondering the possibility of a family of 3 becoming a family of 1 - just me. Some of our medical team advised us to abort our daughter due to risk factors, but we just couldn't do that. We had our daughter 5 weeks early and while she had a series of medical issues and an extended stay in NICU, we fully expect her to grow up to be a happy, healthy, normal girl. She is truly a miracle and a blessing. Our case was so rare that our dream team of doctors spanned both U.S. coasts and 3 European countries. The medical community rallied for us and we deeply, deeply appreciate this. But this has all come with a very serious financial burden. I've dedicated every dime from my work to help offset medical bills. I've also liquidated my retirement fund. This is very scary because I'm middle-aged and I know I'll probably never retire now, but I was willing to make this sacrifice for my wife and daughter. It's the vow I took. As bills have continued to stack up, I see that I managed to put a band-aid on a very serious gaping wound. I just don't have enough resources, and I don't think anyone except the very wealthiest could take on this type of financial burden.

I've created a GoFundMe account here where you can read about our story and donate if you choose to: https://www.gofundme.com/cancersurvivors1

If this is a cause that you're able to support, I can't tell you how absolutely grateful my family would be. This has been the most harrowing situation of my life. I've almost lost my wife twice now. My baby has struggled but is going to be ok. I'm trying to get my own health back in order. A year ago, I had perfect blood pressure. A few months ago, I was diagnosed with extreme hypertension that would wind up killing me if I didn't reel it in. I've gone to support groups for family's battling serious cancer and I've learned that hypertension has a lot to do with feeling an enormous amount of responsibility, but really not being able to help the situation. I've felt desperate at times and I've relied heavily on the verse from Psalms 23:4. It's meant a lot to me and I've relied on my faith to get me from day to day as we continue to battle this.

Thanks for reading this and considering us. If you ever need my advice on cancer or just someone to pray for you, don't even hesitate to PM me. I'm here for any Vol fan or for anyone battling this for that matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So you can put our faces to this story, here's what our journey of cancer while pregnant looks like. We've been to hell and back, and we're still trying to put the pieces back in place:

A year before diagnosis, going to UT football game: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Giving Birth, Lord I was nervous because of the risks but I didn't want to show my wife any signs of it. You can see that she's wearing her wig here: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

This is what my daughter looked like in NICU. She had severe floppy baby syndrome meaning she wasn't curling up the way babies do, she wasn't drinking fluid, she didn't have normal reflexes like crying or repsponsiveness. The doctors did a panel of tests assuming that she contracted some sort of illness due to the nature of the pregnancy. By the grace of God, they were wrong! She stayed in this 'shocked state' for 3 months but for whatever reason, just sort of rebooted and found her footing in the world. She's developmentally a little bit behind but she's going to be perfectly normal: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

To get an understanding of what cancer "looks like", compare the 1st photo of my wife and I going to the UT game with this photo of her holding our baby on our porch. This photo breaks my heart because this doesn't look like my wife at all. She's listless and her eyes are grey and hollow. I never remember her cracking a smile during these days. Chemo destroys good cells and bad cells. There's also a problem called "chemo brain" where you literally are not yourself psychologically. I was worried for my wife but I was also worried for my daughter during this because this would normally be the time when mom's/daughter's bond. But it was a really tough time: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thank you for reading - God bless.

Reactions: 14 people
You have my support and prayers. I will be visiting your go fund me account. God bless your family. Fiji

Prayers for your family. I pray you are blessed with the help. Though not cancer, my wife has lupus, and I completely understand the money issue. From chemo, down to just gas money from all the Dr visits it can become hard. Though it drained us, every step of the way God has blessed us and opened doors. I sincerely pray for you guys to get help.

Reactions: 1 person
America, the best healthcare you can't afford.

Best intentions, prayers and wishes to you and yours.

Reactions: 5 people
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. You guys are just too young to be hit with all this! I hope my bit can help.

You have my support and prayers. I will be visiting your go fund me account. God bless your family. Fiji

Thank you so much, Fiji. It means a lot to me and my family. If you or yours is ever diagnosed with the big C, and I pray that never happens, PM me and I'll help you navigate the waters. We learned the hard way how to do it. Thanks and God bless you.

America, the best healthcare you can't afford.
Best intentions, prayers and wishes to you and yours.

@MaTaLa

Exactly. We were both employed and we both had insurance. In fact, I've been employed since the age of 15 when I started my own landscaping business! Insurance plus a sizeable savings was no match for this. I've come to grips with the fact that I'll probably never retire. I just want to pull us out of debt for my wife and especially my daughter's sake.

60 Minutes recently ran a show about how cancer has become a "Big Business" in America. We found this out the hard way. But we'll never stop fighting...

Reactions: 4 people
Praying that our Lord blesses you with health and help. My family will remember your family in prayer and I'll visit your site. Keep the faith.

Prayers for your family. I pray you are blessed with the help. Though not cancer, my wife has lupus, and I completely understand the money issue. From chemo, down to just gas money from all the Dr visits it can become hard. Though it drained us, every step of the way God has blessed us and opened doors. I sincerely pray for you guys to get help.

@joevol33

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. I've heard about lupus and how absolutely debilitating it is. I'll keep your wife in my prayers and hope she's on better footing now. God bless you and her and thanks again.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. You guys are just too young to be hit with all this! I hope my bit can help.

@VolNExile Thanks buddy. My wife was only 32 when she was diagnosed with serious form or breast cancer. You're 'supposed' to wait until you're 40 to even begin with mammograms. My wife showed her primary car doctor a suspicious lump 3 years ago. He told her it was nothing to worry about. It turned out to be cancer that festered way too long.

If I have one message I want to get out to the VolNation it's this - doctors are mostly smart, brilliant, caring people. But they're not perfect. Take your health in your own hands and follow your heart and your gut. If you're being told "don't worry" and you know you have something really wrong, keep the fight up. Go see different doctors. Find one who will put you on the path to good health. DO NOT accept a pat on the head.

Reactions: 2 people
@VolNExile Thanks buddy. My wife was only 32 when she was diagnosed with serious form or breast cancer. You're 'supposed' to wait until you're 40 to even begin with mammograms. My wife showed her primary car doctor a suspicious lump 3 years ago. He told her it was nothing to worry about. It turned out to be cancer that festered way too long.

If I have one message I want to get out to the VolNation it's this - doctors are mostly smart, brilliant, caring people. But they're not perfect. Take your health in your own hands and follow your heart and your gut. If you're being told "don't worry" and you know you have something really wrong, keep the fight up. Go see different doctors. Find one who will put you on the path to good health. DO NOT accept a pat on the head.

My family has found this to be true with MS being an issue in our family. It took years to find the right doctors.

Praying that our Lord blesses you with health and help. My family will remember your family in prayer and I'll visit your site. Keep the faith.

@alaVol Thank you so much, sir. Prayers have got us this far and I know we need to keep the faith. I appreciate your kindness.

I will drop by your gofundme page and you and your family are in my thoughts. I lost my stepdad to cancer last June It was hard to watch him waste away and it nearly gave my mom a breakdown Hang in there brother.

I want to support you but do not feel comfortable using my credit card information. Is there an address I can send a money order to? God bless you and your family!

Last edited:
Hope this community rallies around your cause. Coming together to help a brother is the definition of community. Cherish every moment with that little one...they grow up fast. 🙂

I want to support you but do not feel comfortable using my credit card information. Is there an address I can send a money order to? God bless you and your family!

Do what you're comfortable with but fwiw I've donated many times thru this site w/o a problem.

@joevol33

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. I've heard about lupus and how absolutely debilitating it is. I'll keep your wife in my prayers and hope she's on better footing now. God bless you and her and thanks again.

Thank you as well.

I will drop by your gofundme page and you and your family are in my thoughts. I lost my stepdad to cancer last June It was hard to watch him waste away and it nearly gave my mom a breakdown Hang in there brother.

Thanks Duncan. I'm sorry to hear about your stepdad and I'm hoping your mom is on her feet again. Losing your spouse is one of the worst things that can ever happen. I'll keep your family in my prayers as well. Thanks for your support!

@GoVols15 I totally understand. The site is encrypted but if you're more comfortable sending a money order that would be very much appreciated. Please only give what you can afford. If you PM me, I'll send you my address.

Hope this community rallies around your cause. Coming together to help a brother is the definition of community. Cherish every moment with that little one...they grow up fast. 🙂

@VolFootballIsLife Thanks brother. I'm trying hard to do just that. Sure there's a lot still hanging over us, but when I see my daughter, I remind myself that i need to take full advantage of this stage of her life. My wife and I have battled our share of depression, but when I see my daughter K it brings a tear to my eye - she's silly, playful, and gregarious. She doesn't have a care in the word and "Dad" is one the 3 words she knows. Little girls definitely pull on your heartstrings. Thanks for the words of wisdom and God bless you too.

So sorry to hear bout you and your family struggles, may God bless you and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers..

VN Store

Back