Anyone here live in Florida?

Berry4Heisman14

VOL til death
I'll be moving to Orlando or Ocoee Florida this summer and was wondering if anyone has some advice and some insight on what its like living in the area? I'm assuming living in Ocoee would be cheaper than in Orlando? Ocoee is like 15 minutes away.

I try to talk my wife into it every year! Several on here do, you should get advice.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll be moving to Orlando or Ocoee Florida this summer and was wondering if anyone has some advice and some insight on what its like living in the area? I'm assuming living in Ocoee would be cheaper than in Orlando? Ocoee is like 15 minutes away.

Buy a house with a guest house. We'll see you in December.:)

Reactions: 1 person

I'm in Tampa and don't know Ocoee but if its like the Tampa area, you really need to look at things neighborhood by neighborhood. You can go from very bad to very good in less than half a mile. Almost all the decent neighborhoods are gated.

In general, I think cost of living is ok here but I'm on well water and keep my air conditioning up in summer. Traffic is much worse in Fl than in Tenn and I'm convinced there are more crazy people in Fl than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I'm in Tampa and don't know Ocoee but if its like the Tampa area, you really need to look at things neighborhood by neighborhood. You can go from very bad to very good in less than half a mile. Almost all the decent neighborhoods are gated.

In general, I think cost of living is ok here but I'm on well water and keep my air conditioning up in summer. Traffic is much worse in Fl than in Tenn and I'm convinced there are more crazy people in Fl than anywhere else I've ever lived.
I've heard traffic is terrible. Are things like groceries more expensive than in Tennessee?

We lived in Destin and Ft. Walton for a combined 8 years. Luckily, it was from 1997 til 2005.
We were even with the gators, and canes at that time, thankfully.

Jan 99 was sheer bliss.

What made you leave??

I was tired of sand in every part of my body, house and car. The humidity just choked me out.

My wife wanted to stay, and still holds the dream of one day moving back.

Plus, I retired from Air Force at Hurlburt. I had always told everyone that, when I retired, I was going to move so far away from the military, they'd need the Hubble Telescope to see me. Haha

I was tired of sand in every part of my body, house and car. The humidity just choked me out.

My wife wanted to stay, and still holds the dream of one day moving back.

Plus, I retired from Air Force at Hurlburt. I had always told everyone that, when I retired, I was going to move so far away from the military, they'd need the Hubble Telescope to see me. Haha
The humidity can't be worse than the humidity in Louisiana! Luckily I won't be too close to the beach I hate sand!

The humidity can't be worse than the humidity in Louisiana! Luckily I won't be too close to the beach I hate sand!

Lived in Bossier for two godforsaken years. NEVER AGAIN! I do love me some Cajun food and mud bugs though.

And the humidity was awful there, also. But, I was younger then.

Don't mean to be negative about FL. I do miss the surf fishing. I do miss all the people I worked with.

I have priced condos in Mexico Beach, that $$$$ is now unattainable for me.

If you want to be there, that is the first step of enjoying any place, IMO.

I've heard traffic is terrible. Are things like groceries more expensive than in Tennessee?

Traffic will be bad compared to TN. We shop at Publix mostly and is a bit more expensive but worth it. Gas is more expensive though

Thanks for the advice on groceries and gas! Definitely needed to know all that. I love to golf as well, I'm not great but I love doing it and want to continue to improve. I was worried living so close to Orlando would make living outrageous but from what I hear it isn't too bad

My wife reminded me of those darned LuvBugs. Haha

After running through a cloud or two of them, be sure to get them off the front of your car quickly. A LeBra or some other form of bug deflector helps. Some people even sprayed cooking oil on the front of their cars to make removal of these bugs a bit easier.

I don't know about the Orlando area when it comes to hurricanes, but LA (Lower Alabama), aka the Florida Panhandle, it behooves you to have a little "get the hell outta dodge" money on hand at all times.

I lived in Winter Garden when I was a kid so I am very familiar with Ocoee. Those cities have grown a lot since I lived there though and are much nicer than before.

VN Store

Back