Acid reflux

gordonr24

Vol in West TN
Who in here suffers from it? I'm 25, and I had my first attack, when I was 22, but in the past two months, I've been averaging 2-3 attacks per week. I've started taking nexium at 1 dose per day, but I recently bumped it up to 2 doses per day. I'm trying to figure out which over the counter medication is the best, Nexium or Prilosec. Can any long time sufferers offer any advice?

I've also started elevating my head at night and it has helped. I also realize that I'll have to slightly change my diet, which includes eating less spicy foods.

I take a Zantac every day and it seems to have really helped. I went through a stretch where I was waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I had drank battery acid. It's a miserable feeling.

Reactions: 2 people
Who in here suffers from it? I'm 25, and I had my first attack, when I was 22, but in the past two months, I've been averaging 2-3 attacks per week. I've started taking nexium at 1 dose per day, but I recently bumped it up to 2 doses per day. I'm trying to figure out which over the counter medication is the best, Nexium or Prilosec. Can any long time sufferers offer any advice?

I've also started elevating my head at night and it has helped. I also realize that I'll have to slightly change my diet, which includes eating less spicy foods.

My doctor started me on Zegerid which is an Omeprazole and Sodium Bicarb combination pill before it went OTC. I take two of those a day and it seems to work just fine. I don't generally have any trouble until I do something stupid like eat chocolate or some other type of irritating food just before laying down in bed. I've learned over time which foods to be careful of, especially at night time.

Crazy timing for this thread as I just purchased my first bottle of Zantac this morning with the hopes of sleeping easier

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I take a Zantac every day and it seems to have really helped. I went through a stretch where I was waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I had drank battery acid. It's a miserable feeling.

Exactly my issue. Here's hoping I get the same results

I used to have acid reflux pretty bad. Some foods still give it to me...like tomato based sauces if I eat too much of them. Sometimes, I will get it if I get off my normal routine of eating like on vacation or holidays. Tried different things and used to take prescribed and over the counter medicines without much change. In my case, mine got better after I simply started taking fiber at night about an hour before bed. I take 2 heaping tablespoons of sugar fee metamucil powder every night without fail (a normal serving is just 2 teaspoons) in 12 ounces of water. I dont know why it works. I guess it makes everything move better from the beginning of the digestive process. Has worked for other family members too.

I start having trouble with it when my weight gets over 185. I know this sounds strange but below that weight I have zero problems. For me keeping my weight down works. I keep a bottle of tums around for acute episodes.

I used to have acid reflux pretty bad. Some foods still give it to me...like tomato based sauces if I eat too much of them. Sometimes, I will get it if I get off my normal routine of eating like on vacation or holidays. Tried different things and used to take prescribed and over the counter medicines without much change. In my case, mine got better after I simply started taking fiber at night about an hour before bed. I take 2 heaping tablespoons of sugar fee metamucil powder every night without fail (a normal serving is just 2 teaspoons) in 12 ounces of water. I dont know why it works. I guess it makes everything move better from the beginning of the digestive process. Has worked for other family members too.

It's the acid in the tomatoes that does it. Foods and other things I've notice that make it worse:
Onions
Garlic
Cured meats(salami, pepperoni, capicola, bacon)
Citrus(oranges, grapefruits, lemons)
Certain drinks can do it, for me it's Mountain Dew
Anything spicy
Chocolate
Laying down after eating is the number one thing to avoid. Allow several hours between the last time you ate and going to bed.

I have horrible problems, but I have a hi hernia also. There's been a few times I would've swore I was having a heart attack, but the dr did test abd heart is fine its just reflux. I need to eat better, period.

I may try this.

I have taken several brands over the years Prevacid seems to work the best for me.

A quick homemade remedy for quick relief is mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of water, stir it good , turn it up and drink it all at once. You will burp like you have never burped before.

If it bothers you while laying in bed, try laying on your left side. If that helps you probably have a hiatal hernia.

I have been fighting acid reflux for over 40 years. It is something you have to learn how to treat personally. What works for one is not so good for another.

Good luck and May God Bless.

I may try this.

You have to build up to the amount of fiber I take. Dont try to take all that at once. I would begin with normal servings until the body adjusts and then increase. I originally added fiber for lower digestive reasons as ordered by my doc. The acid reflux reduction was something that was a happy and unexpected benefit. It takes a few weeks and the body's adjustment to see the benefit. May not work everyone but I dont see the harm in trying. Dont give up on it too early.

You have to build up to the amount of fiber I take. Dont try to take all that at once. I would begin with normal servings until the body adjusts and then increase. I originally added fiber for lower digestive reasons as ordered by my doc. The acid reflux reduction was something that was a happy and unexpected benefit. It takes a few weeks and the body's adjustment to see the benefit. May not work everyone but I dont see the harm in trying. Dont give up on it too early.
Thanks for the tip.

I used to do Prilosec every day, I switched to Nexium, just feel it works a little better.

Those medicines all say not to take them for more than 14 days consecutively. Does anyone know why?

I've gone a little past 14 days at this point....... 5 years past actually.......

I used to do Prilosec every day, I switched to Nexium, just feel it works a little better.

Those medicines all say not to take them for more than 14 days consecutively. Does anyone know why?

I've gone a little past 14 days at this point....... 5 years past actually.......

Nexium seems different

Elaborate

From looking around, longterm use of the style of drug Nexium is (a proton pump inhibitor) can lead to weak and broken bones. Prilosec is the same kind of drug. Zantac isn't that type of drug, but because of that, it's less effective against stomach ulcers.

Due to the effect on the frailty of bones, I bet that's why they want to force you to spread it out a little.

(The Zantac I just bought today doesn't have any message about not using for extended periods of time, but only how many within 24 hours)

I had reflux so bad a few nights ago that it inflamed my esophagus and got into my lungs. I was wheezing and coughing up mucus. It was a horrible experience. I still haven't completely gotten over it.

I had reflux so bad a few nights ago that it inflamed my esophagus and got into my lungs. I was wheezing and coughing up mucus. It was a horrible experience. I still haven't completely gotten over it.

That's what I go through. After an especially bad attack, it's like I've become asthmatic. It's from inhaling and coughing as you try to get the acid out of your throat.

Only way around it is to resist the urge to cough and immediately chew some Tums, then buffer the acid with something. Of all things, my wife buys TruMoo for my son and I've found that sipping that helps settle things down after an attack.

I wake up with it sometimes in the middle of the night. Uncomfortable pain in the chest and burning in the throat. It's hard to get comfortable when you're swallowing every second trying to get rid of the acid feeling. I take tums as temporary relief and try to take fruit flavored ones that taste more tolerable. They seem to help unless it's a bad case. I haven't got any actual meds for it.

They've linked the "prazole" class of drugs(esomeprazole magnesium (Nexium), dexlansoprazole (Dexilant), omeprazole (Prilosec), omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate (Zegerid), lansoprazole (Prevacid), pantoprazole sodium (Protonix), rabeprazole sodium (AcipHex) and the combination product esomeprazole magnesium/naproxen (Vimovo)) to Magnesium leeching in some patients. Low magnesium can possibly lead to muscle spasms, irregular heartbeat, and seizures. The 14 day cutoff is an industry standard of sorts. It basically says if you want to take this medication longer than 14 days you can but you should only be doing so at the direction of your physician.

omeprazole magnesium oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
FDA Warns GERD Drugs May Deplete Magnesium | Medpage Today

I haven't had the lung issue but I've definitely been woken up from a dead sleep choking on acid before. That part is harsh but still not as bad as when you get an esophageal spasm. If you've never had one before and you don't know what is happening it's easy to think you're having a heart attack because it hurts so bad. On rare occasions I get those I sometimes have to combine Zegerid with Zantac just to make it stop.

What is the best way to getting off of nexium? It's been a wonder drug for me, as I haven't had heartburn issues for over a year. So, I'm contemplating getting off of it. Should I ween or go cold turkey?

What is the best way to getting off of nexium? It's been a wonder drug for me, as I haven't had heartburn issues for over a year. So, I'm contemplating getting off of it. Should I ween or go cold turkey?

Stopping proton pump inhibitors immediately can result in rebound acid hypersecretion. It's basically acid reflux coming back with a vengeance.

You should always consult with your physician before stopping any medications. They can instruct you on how to safely take yourself off such medications. If you insist on doing yourself though you can google different methods for weaning. Here is one I stumbled upon.

Taper off the PPI slowly.

The higher the dose, the longer the taper. Expect rebound symptoms.
Decrease the current PPI dose by 50% each week until patient is on the lowest dose once daily.
In 2 weeks, change to H2 blocker. If symptoms flare, can alternate H2B every other day with omeprazole.
After 2-4 weeks on H2 blocker, try stopping or weaning.
After 2 weeks off H2 blocker, try tapering off supplements.
Continue lifestyle modifications.

Sonoma Medicine | Winter 2014 - Digestive Health | INTEGRATIVE ME

Stopping proton pump inhibitors immediately can result in rebound acid hypersecretion. It's basically acid reflux coming back with a vengeance.

You should always consult with your physician before stopping any medications. They can instruct you on how to safely take yourself off such medications. If you insist on doing yourself though you can google different methods for weaning. Here is one I stumbled upon.

Taper off the PPI slowly.

The higher the dose, the longer the taper. Expect rebound symptoms.
Decrease the current PPI dose by 50% each week until patient is on the lowest dose once daily.
In 2 weeks, change to H2 blocker. If symptoms flare, can alternate H2B every other day with omeprazole.
After 2-4 weeks on H2 blocker, try stopping or weaning.
After 2 weeks off H2 blocker, try tapering off supplements.
Continue lifestyle modifications.

Sonoma Medicine | Winter 2014 - Digestive Health | INTEGRATIVE ME

Thank you. This is one of my goals this year.

VN Store

Back