Funny But True Stories From the Thin Blue Line.

GreyWolf1129

Get off my planet.
Just so you know we're human, and sometimes painfully so, I thought I'd share a few examples of just how we can have fun on the job, sometimes at the expense of another officer...and sometimes at our own.

Anything I post here is factual. And first person. Either I was there, or I was there right after it happened. Obviously, the names, numbers, and locations have been changed to protect the embarrassed.

First one is on me...

Working the night shift (8p - 8a). Midshift is at 2am, and we meet (all 4 of us) at a Huddle House just off the interstate to eat. It was a weeknight, and very quiet. I'm exhausted; the meal doesn't help; so I run a couple of miles north on I-95 and set up in the median to "run RADAR". I pick a spot where I can see both north and southbound traffic. There is almost none; just the truckers and the occasional car.

Dispatch calls me with a question about something admin related (I was the sergeant). We always answer with our badge number and location. This proves critical later.

About 5 minutes later, I see a set of headlights come out of the curve behind me at high speed. Way high speed. I have just enough time to key my rear antenna. The RADAR unit screams, and the display reads "133". By the time I read it, the car is past me, and moving away at...well...133 miles per hour.

In gear, spray gravel, find the blacktop, and off we go. Now, I'm wide awake. It takes a mile or so for me to wind up to top speed, and another few seconds to gather my wits. I do the math: I'm fully half a mile behind the bad guy; he was going 133; and I'm topped out at 129. We're in a long straightaway. I can still see his taillights, barely, and I don't need Dick Tracy to tell me that I'm not gaining. At this point, I'm still "dark" (no blue lights), and I haven't called it out on the radio.

In the meantime, I have passed the only two other vehicles on my side of the "I"; two tractor-trailers running together. I have a CB in my car, which has proven to be a great tool for us, as the truckers will tell us about DUI's and reckless drivers. It does register with me that they are not talking about the car I'm after, but I don't give that minor point the attention it deserves...

At a mile and a half in, I finally realize there's no point in calling a chase on a vehicle I cannot describe, so I decide to hit my lights just to see what will happen. To my utter amazement, I see brake lights. Mind you, when I turn on my lights, my video camera automatically comes on. And when I see the brake lights, I naturally say "What a dumbass." All he had to do was keep going, and I would have backed out. Live to fight another day.

The car pulls over to the shoulder of the road, with me closing in fast. As I slow down, and right before I see the vehicle clearly, my CB finally springs to life. The words I hear leave no doubt that it's one of the two truckers behind me, and that they have seen the entire episode unfold.

"Ha ha ha...you see that county mountie chasing that Bear?"

It was a GSP trooper. One I knew well, and worked with all the time. He was one his way home after his shift, heard dispatch call me a few minutes before (we listen to each others' frequencies), knew where I was, and decided to have a little fun with me. It was a classic fly-by, and it worked like a champ.

I pull in behind the car, realize it's him, turn off my lights, and pull up beside him with my car wheezing at the effort I just put it through. He rolls down his passenger window, looks at me with a smile that only a mischevous child could emulate, and says "Whuuut...you didn't see me?"

It took me a few seconds to spool down before I busted out laughing. Classic.

I tried and tried, but never did get him back.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 4 people
Thank you for sharing that. I thought it was funny.

One thing though- why would not have called in additional cars. One of the things that kept us from running from cop cars, was the fact we knew we couldn't out run the Motorola. :)

Please tell more stories as you have time.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for sharing that. I thought it was funny.

One thing though- why would not have called in additional cars. One of the things that kept us from running from cop cars, was the fact we knew we couldn't out run the Motorola. :)

Please tell more stories as you have time.

The other 3 cars were scattered across the 700-ish square miles we patrolled, checking their zones. The way we are laid out, we divide the county into north and south halves. I was south, with two deputies north of me, and one in the same area as me, but about 5 miles west. No help at all. I was the only one "up top", as we refer to being on the Interstate.

Being (at that point) 6 miles from the county line, there was no point in getting on the radio. In 3 minutes, he's across the line, and besides...I have no idea what I'm chasing aside from red tail lights.

One of the few times I thought it through and got it right. And yes...there are more. Hopefully, this will prove to be a place where other VN blue-liners can tell on themselves, in good fun.

Go Vols.

The other 3 cars were scattered across the 700-ish square miles we patrolled, checking their zones. The way we are laid out, we divide the county into north and south halves. I was south, with two deputies north of me, and one in the same area as me, but about 5 miles west. No help at all. I was the only one "up top", as we refer to being on the Interstate.

Being (at that point) 6 miles from the county line, there was no point in getting on the radio. In 3 minutes, he's across the line, and besides...I have no idea what I'm chasing aside from red tail lights.

One of the few times I thought it through and got it right. And yes...there are more. Hopefully, this will prove to be a place where other VN blue-liners can tell on themselves, in good fun.

Go Vols.

Oh. Ok. Makes sense.

Sheriffs dept. here doesn't patrol the interstates. That's interesting that you guys do.

I'll have to see if I can remember any of the stories my dad told me about his time as a cop. His latter years on the force he worked undercover narcotics until he retired from the job.

Funny story.

Nice to know those who enforce the law are free to break it on a lark.

Reactions: 14 people
Here we have a city just about 4 miles outside our city limits. Two small towns of about 1,000 residents each. We radio at the county line and they're picked up within a minute. County never sees this town unless it's a critical situation and then it takes them 20 minutes to get out to this part of the county. City covers it alone with one or two man shifts.

Great story. I enjoyed it. My uncle was a Lt. State Trooper here in Tn until he retired and my grandfather was a chief of police here until he retired. I have numerous uncles and cousins in the force as well.

I thought the same thing but wasn't going to post it.

I'll be the A-Hole. He was set up with radar and would have likely wrote out the ticket for any of us doing 10 miles over the speed limit. What frosts my a$$ is; the demand for respect (not saying the OP has, but in general) and here is blatant disrespect of the law for one of their own and then telling about it like it's humorous. No justification for the double-standard. :popcorn:

Reactions: 10 people
I dont find it funny.

The cop was driving 133 with his lights off and not in pursuit just to get a laugh out of anothrr cop.

A civilian does that and gives you the same excuse and you are booking him for speeding and maybe felony charges due to speed.

This is why so many are sick of cops.

133 mph?

What if he lost control and killed some one?

Reactions: 7 people
I'll be the A-Hole. He was set up with radar and would have likely wrote out the ticket for any of us doing 10 miles over the speed limit. What frosts my a$$ is; the demand for respect (not saying the OP has, but in general) and here is blatant disrespect of the law for one of their own and then telling about it like it's humorous. No justification for the double-standard. :popcorn:

You're not being an a-hole, and it's not a double standard. It was a practical joke at 2 am in BFE, and it worked perfectly. I'm sorry, but it was funny as hell then, and it still is today.

FWIW, with the exception of school zones, residential areas, and construction zones, "10 over" won't even get you a second look from me. Not going for sympathy points here. I have been known to drive at 80 on the interstate in my POV. I'm not writing a ticket for something I do on a fairly routine basis.

Bad idea, this one was. I figured some of you might get a kick out of some of the funny, stupid, and yes...mischievous things we sometimes do (or did) when it gets quiet and we get bored. I was wrong.

Wiser now than yesterday. That seems to happen to me a lot.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 5 people
Nah, not a double standard at all. After all, the other guy had a shiny badge and a magic suit as well. Any of us regular folk, we will see the judge, and pay the op's salary.

Yet, it's supposed to be funny. I fail to see the humor.

Reactions: 5 people
You're not being an a-hole, and it's not a double standard. It was a practical joke at 2 am in BFE, and it worked perfectly. I'm sorry, but it was funny as hell then, and it still is today.

FWIW, with the exception of school zones, residential areas, and construction zones, "10 over" won't even get you a second look from me. Not going for sympathy points here. I have been known to drive at 80 on the interstate in my POV. I'm not writing a ticket for something I do on a fairly routine basis.

Bad idea, this one was. I figured some of you might get a kick out of some of the funny, stupid, and yes...mischievous things we sometimes do (or did) when it gets quiet and we get bored. I was wrong.

Go Vols.

it was funny as hell to me. Dont let one spoil the fun for the rest of us. Would love to hear other stories.

:sigh:

Go Vols.

Screw them.

I want to read some more stories.

Some folks are just too anal.

Me too, but I instantly knew what direction some would take it.

133mph is funny?

Driving about 70 over the speed limit is funny?

See here's the issue...cop was about to hand out a ticket until he reakized it was another cop.

133mph is funny?

Driving about 70 over the speed limit is funny?

See here's the issue...cop was about to hand out a ticket until he reakized it was another cop.

Good Lord. Did you understand the whole story? I've read some of your posts; you're obviously intelligent. Don't like cops? Join the crowd. They're up in Chicago this weekend. Me? I'll be right here, in easy range for you. Meanwhile...

Cliff Notes version:
- I knew him. He knew me. We worked together.
- Wee hours of a weeknight. He's on his way home.
- Hears my dispatcher talking to me. Knows exactly where I am.
- Decides to do a flyby on me. Pulled it off with perfection.
- He's in his marked patrol car. Once I get close enough, it's clear to me what has just happened. Not like I thought I was pulling up on Osama Bin Laden. Or, y'know...you.
- Joke is on me. Two truckers witness the whole thing, and get a huge laugh out of it.
- No harm, no foul, no Constitutional rights violated, no evidence faked, altered, or destroyed, and (Thank Goodness) no hurt feelings. I laughed harder than he did.
- Yeah, I probably owe the SO a couple of bucks for the fuel I burned thinking I was actually after a speeder.

Yes, I was about to hand out a ticket. Until I realized that it was a trooper...in his patrol car, mind you...who thought that jerking me out of the middle of the median would be funny. And it was.

Sorry if that offends you. Honestly. We obviously look at the world through different lenses.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 4 people
I chuckled at the story. I appreciated the humanizing of police.

That said, the folks who aren't laughing have a good point.

Reactions: 2 people
I chuckled at the story. I appreciated the the humanizing of police.

That said, the folks who aren't laughing have a good point.

They do have a point. But I'd respectfully ask them to go use the other long running thread to talk about it.

VN Store

Back