Dealership wrecked MY brand new car

9296potsguy

Drinking to cope
Searching for advice on this. Bought a car a couple of months ago and the wife was taking it to a closer dealership for it's very first oil change. On the way there, my wife noticed a slight miss when it was at idle and wanted to know if they could check it out. They decided to take it on a test run to find the issue and the mechanic wrecked the car in their own parking lot against a trailer of some kind. Not sure the details, but my car is scraped all the way down the side and gashed the wheel (not tire though). The scrape is deep enough that will require all parts to be replaced and one door is dented in.

The dealership has accepted responsibility but has only offered to fix the car. My problem is that I will now own a brand new car with a bad title that has certainly devalued my car by thousands even when fixed. I have called on several occasions to talk to the GM or owner but the best they can offer me is the service manager, who cannot get me anything approved over what they have already offered which I HAVE NOT ACCEPTED. They said the GM wouldn't be in until Friday and they never see the owner.

I guess my question is, what kind of advice would you give me?

Searching for advice on this. Bought a car a couple of months ago and the wife was taking it to a closer dealership for it's very first oil change. On the way there, my wife noticed a slight miss when it was at idle and wanted to know if they could check it out. They decided to take it on a test run to find the issue and the mechanic wrecked the car in their own parking lot against a trailer of some kind. Not sure the details, but my car is scraped all the way down the side and gashed the wheel (not tire though). The scrape is deep enough that will require all parts to be replaced and one door is dented in.

The dealership has accepted responsibility but has only offered to fix the car. My problem is that I will now own a brand new car with a bad title that has certainly devalued my car by thousands even when fixed. I have called on several occasions to talk to the GM or owner but the best they can offer me is the service manager, who cannot get me anything approved over what they have already offered which I HAVE NOT ACCEPTED. They said the GM wouldn't be in until Friday and they never see the owner.

I guess my question is, what kind of advice would you give me?

Contact some media outlet?

Reactions: 1 person
Not true. The title is unaffected.

Basic repairs do not brand a title. Further, if no police report is filed then it likely won't brand Carfax. One caveat being if the repair shop reports to Carfax.

Still, the dealer should pay diminished value. You might contact your insurance company and if no luck, an attorney. There are places to get a diminished value claim.

Reactions: 6 people
Not true. The title is unaffected.

Basic repairs do not brand a title. Further, if no police report is filed then it likely won't brand Carfax. One caveat being if the repair shop reports to Carfax.

Still, the dealer should pay diminished value. You might contact your insurance company and if no luck, an attorney. There are places to get a diminished value claim.
Police report was filed. We are talking about 8-10k in damage.

1. Obtain 3 or 4 reputable estimates for the value of your car now, estimated value after fully repaired, and value of the exact same car in undamaged condition. Keep in mind there is depreciation on your car which normally occurs compared to an identical new car sitting on a car lot.
2. If value is different between your repaired car and an undamaged identical car, present this to the GM on Friday.
3. Stay calm in your conversations and be reasonable but firm in your expectations.
4. If you cannot reach a satisfactory agreement, then small claims or legal counsel may be the next step.

Police report was filed. We are talking about 8-10k in damage.

It still will not brand the title. That is only in the case of salvage, total loss, flood, or odometer innacuracy.

It will diminish the value because of the Carfax report and any appraiser worth his salt will detect paint repair when you go to sell it.

I'd contact my insurance agent. Then, write a formal letter to both owner and GM. A diminished value claim can't occur until the repairs are complete.

If the damaged happened while in their care, they have no leg to stand on.

It still will not brand the title. That is only in the case of salvage, total loss, flood, or odometer innacuracy.

It will diminish the value because of the Carfax report and any appraiser worth his salt will detect paint repair when you go to sell it.

I'd contact my insurance agent. Then, write a formal letter to both owner and GM. A diminished value claim can't occur until the repairs are complete.

If the damaged happened while in their care, they have no leg to stand on.
Good to know about the title.

I work for a dealership and I can tell you when you have any conversations with anyone there make sure that you stay calm and as nice as you can be. I understand being upset but being nice with them will get you a lot further. I can tell you in the 14 years I have been working in the car business I have seen dealerships pay for diminished value. Its not easy to get but I have seen it paid before. Make sure you keep a record of everyone you talk to there and when you talk to them. Also try to go to the dealership on Friday when the GM is actually there. Talking to him in person will be much better than on the phone. I am sure the GM is already aware of the situation. If he isn't then the service manager is trying to cover his butt. Hope this helps and good luck.

Also just want to say that its unfortunate that your car was wrecked but when you move that many cars a day its bound to happen sometime.

Last edited:
I work for a dealership and I can tell you when you have any conversations with anyone there make sure that you stay calm and as nice as you can be. I understand being upset but being nice with them will get you a lot further. I can tell you in the 14 years I have been working in the car business I have seen dealerships pay for diminished value. Its not easy to get but I have seen it paid before. Make sure you keep a record of everyone you talk to there and when you talk to them. Also try to go to the dealership on Friday when the GM is actually there. Talking to him in person will be much better than on the phone. I am sure the GM is already aware of the situation. If he isn't then the service manager is trying to cover his butt. Hope this helps and good luck.

Also just want to say that its unfortunate that your car was wrecked but when you move that many cars a day its bound to happen sometime.
I started off being as nice as I could. But I'm disturbed that I've done all the calling and not been allowed to speak to anyone that can give me clarification on offering amends. Also, sounds like you are aware of my issue based on the Friday comment, do you work for them? I haven't mentioned the dealership in question for a reason. I don't want them to get bad publicity if I can just be treated fairly.

Be nice? Seriously? They wrecked his car. My definition of being nice would be to show up with my lawyer and demand that they pay for the diminished value. Bound to happen because they handle a lot of cars is a piss poor excuse IMO. OP should make sure they make it right, or take it to the media, then to small claims.

I started off being as nice as I could. But I'm disturbed that I've done all the calling and not been allowed to speak to anyone that can give me clarification on offering amends. Also, sounds like you are aware of my issue based on the Friday comment, do you work for them? I haven't mentioned the dealership in question for a reason. I don't want them to get bad publicity if I can just be treated fairly.

No. I work for a Hyundai dealership in Chattanooga. I agree that you should be frustrated not being able to speak to the GM. It sounds like the service manager is trying to keep it from getting to the GM.

No. I work for a Hyundai dealership in Chattanooga. I agree that you should be frustrated not being able to speak to the GM. It sounds like the service manager is trying to keep it from getting to the GM.

Sounds like it to me as well. I would suggest starting from the top and working my way down until I got in contact with the person who could get this taken care of.

Be nice? Seriously? They wrecked his car. My definition of being nice would be to show up with my lawyer and demand that they pay for the diminished value. Bound to happen because they handle a lot of cars is a piss poor excuse IMO. OP should make sure they make it right, or take it to the media, then to small claims.

I didn't mean that it was an excuse. And OP has every right to be upset that his car has been wrecked but being an a$$hole about the situation isn't going to help things.

Also if the OP wants this handled quickly I would say bring a lawyer to the dealership would only slow things down. Because I am sure if OP brings his lawyer into it then the dealership is going to bring theirs and I would think that would probably slow things down. Not saying it would be wrong to show up with a lawyer but just saying it might slow things down.

Sounds like it to me as well. I would suggest starting from the top and working my way down until I got in contact with the person who could get this taken care of.

That's why I suggested OP go to the dealership on Friday when the GM is supposed to be there. They can blow him off on the phone but if the OP shows up in person its a little harder to put them off.

the Friday comment was because you mentioned that the GM wouldn't be in store til Friday, probably

VN Store

Back