Tomato Gravy......Yummmmmm!

VolMax

Any of y'all ever had it? And I don't mean tomato sauce...I mean gravy, as in biscuits and gravy.

My new bride made it for our game day brunch Satirday. She mentioned it a few times while we were dating and finally made it. I'm an adventurous foodie but have to confess I was a little skeptical.

It was fantastic! Basic bacon grease country gravy underneath with sharp tomato flavor over the top. How have I never heard of this before?

I told my 86 y/o Dad about it, and he said his grandmother used to make it. I was like seriously...? Why haven't you ever made it through the years? I got my cooking interest from him growing up and can't believe he held that out.

I'll post a recipe of anyone wants.

GBO!

I've heard it mentioned before but have never tried it myself. I believe it's a southern dish, like Louisiana cajun maybe. Some recipes use an element of heat like crushed red pepper and some are without heat.

My wife loves tomato and gravy. Her grandmother makes it for her all the time. I have tried it before. Its not bad but I would much rather have biscuits and gravy.

My grandma used to make it all the time. So delicious, as tomato is my favorite!

My mom used to make tomato gravy. From what I remember, it was homemade the right way (flour, bacon grease, beef bouillon cube and canned tomoatoes).

Sorry guys...busy today.

She says she doesn't have a recipe, she just makes it.

So I'll drag it out of her...

A large can of whole tomatoes. Cut the stem end off of the tomatoes and give them a rough chop. Then put bacon grease in cast iron skillet, add tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Then she puts 3 tablespoons of flour in a "big cup" (stadium cup?) And adds milk...stir until flour is mixed in....pour into skillet and stir constantly/frequently until you get the consistency you want...add more milk if it gets too thick. Salt and pepper again to taste.

That's as specific as I can get from her. She says she may have to kill me now for posting this.

And whoever said it didn't sound good and he'd prefer his biscuits and gravy, that's how we ate it. Of course I managed to spill a little on my slab of baked cheese grits (oops...😆). Like I said, I was skeptical myself, but it's delicious!

I'm thinking of throwing the canned tomatoes in my Traeger this weekend and getting her to make it with smoked tomatoes. I'll let y'all know...

Let me know if y'all try it.

GBO!

how many does that feed VolMax ?

I will give it a try before very long and tell your bride,we are glad to see her recipe and to share more like this,if she would :)

Red Eye Gravy is awesome and so is Saw Mill gravy.

Totally agree! And when you think sawmill gravy and think about adding tomatoes, it's kind of like....uh, no thanks...which is what I thought all along.

But I'm telling all you Sam-I-Ams, try it, try it, you will see...you will like it, yes indeed!

Unless you don't like tomato sauce or tomatoes at all.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back