how to clean a cast Iron skillet

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
I've had one that was pretty rusted and I did this

3 Ways to Season a Cast Iron Skillet - wikiHow

the vinegar soak

here is a before and after pic

and I had scrubbed the skillet with a stiff brush before I took the first picture

I'm going to season it and will post a picture when it is done

this is just for those that have an old one and it looks awful rusty :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
well it didn't come out quiet right,the shortening i used burnt on the brown side and looks like crap. I'm doing a smaller one with corn oil instead,we will see what the difference is,of course I think i needed a gob of lard instead :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Once clean store them upside down so it stays dry, always wipe out after cooking never wash!
I have a collection of griswolds and wagners, my griswold Dutch oven belonged to my great grandfather and has cooked everything!

I have one that belonged to my great aunt and it still is in fine shape,it will drop a pone of cornbread,the other two were given to me and the one had a bunch of rust on it

my dad would build a small fire to clean one up with,and just leave it on for a short time,of course that was in downtown Kingsport at the time,I'm sure that had to break all sorts of codes,but he would build the fire close to the wooden garage so it wouldn't be seen lol

and I just wash them in some hot water and use a nylon scrubbing pad on them,never any soap

here is the picture of the small one,it did better,but the corn oil did look burnt too,I should have baked it at a lower temperature i guess,i did both at 350 for 2 hours and then did them again

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
The smoke point for corn oil is 320 degrees so your 30 degrees over that, it's why it's getting burned. Lower the temp or use a higher smoke point oil like Olive or Vegetable.

A blogger claims using Flaxseed oil is best as it's a "drying oil" and forms a thicker seasoning layer. It's a lower smoke point(225) though so you have to use a different seasoning technique.
Sheryl's Blog » Blog Archive Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

The smoke point for corn oil is 320 degrees so your 30 degrees over that, it's why it's getting burned. Lower the temp or use a higher smoke point oil like Olive or Vegetable.

A blogger claims using Flaxseed oil is best as it's a "drying oil" and forms a thicker seasoning layer. It's a lower smoke point(225) though so you have to use a different seasoning technique.
Sheryl's Blog » Blog Archive Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

Use the oven?

I use a kosher salt and olive oil. It makes a paste and functions like an SOS pad. After its clean and dry I rub it down with more olive oil and store it in a drawer.

I love my cast iron. After cooking I also use hot water and a nylon scrub brush that I only use on cast iron, no soap.

Then I dry it immediately with paper towels. When dry I give a light oil coat. Store them on a under cabinet shelf.

They're more non stick than non stick.

Don't crucify me but I have found that Dawn and hot water work just fine. Sometimes I heat it up on the stove eye and then all the junk comes right off. There's no way that a stove eye will heat cast iron hot enough to open its pores and allow dawn to soak into it. I also scrub it with wire brushes :) cast iron is tough stuff. That's why it lasts forever.

The only enemy is rust. I clean it up, coat it with olive oil, and store it (dutch oven) with a bandanna between the lid and pot. Never had any issues.

Watch out you don't want to take the seasoning from the bottom of the skillet otherwise food will stick.

I've done some frying with them since and they are working great,that seasoning site worked really well,I think it is like coug said and I over heated the shortening and oil I was using

I don't know Kentucky,I've all ways been told to never use any soap

I have one that belonged to my great aunt and it still is in fine shape,it will drop a pone of cornbread,the other two were given to me and the one had a bunch of rust on it

my dad would build a small fire to clean one up with,and just leave it on for a short time,of course that was in downtown Kingsport at the time,I'm sure that had to break all sorts of codes,but he would build the fire close to the wooden garage so it wouldn't be seen lol

25 years ago with Kodak still going strong I doubt anyone would notice.

they didn't notice when he took a 22 rifle either and dropped a bunch of pigeons from the tree in the drive way either,all he said was damn pigeons crapping on my car

it was farther back than that :)

of course nobody said much to my Dad

VN Store

Back