First dog

sofflavol

il kick u in the vols
Me and my newlywed wife have decided we are ready to get our first dog. We live in Florida are pretty active and I do my fair amount of camping / hunting when i can get out. Obviously being a true vol4life I gravitate towards the bluetick.. Also looking at GSP as well... Would love some opinions on the breeds if you have any experience with either dogs.. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person
Blueticks are awesome, just need room and time, and are loud, we adopted one and rehabbed him and now he is a true coon hound.
Gsp are meant for hunting only, there may be a few out there as good pets but my cousin who owns one strictly for hunting and he wants to hunt and work all the time.
Can't go wrong with a lab. German shepards are great. My dad had one for a while, had hip problems and was put down after 11 yo.
My wife has a chihuahua that I hate and try to find a reason to get rid of it all the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Blueticks are awesome, just need room and time, and are loud, we adopted one and rehabbed him and now he is a true coon hound.
GSP ARE MENT FOR HUNTING ONLY , there may be a few out there as good pets but my cousin who owns one strictly for hunting and he wants to hunt and work all the time.
Can't go wrong with a lab. German shepards are great. My dad had one for a while, had hip problems and was put down after 11 yo.
My wife has a chihuahua that I hate and try to find a reason to get rid of it all the time.

^^^ they are so darn good looking I want one haha

Boxer. Boxer, boxer, boxer. Best dog in the world. High energy -- puppyhood lasts until about, oh, death. But they have more personality than any dog I have ever seen. Some people assume they're badasses because of their muscular build but they're absolute clowns that love their people all-in. They're very much indoor dogs as long as you're indoors as well, but they need to get out and burn up all that energy regularly. Just, whatever you do, don't crop their f***ing ears!

Reactions: 4 people
Most Labs are going to be great outdoor dogs although they will be high drive and chew everything they can get their jaws on. You typically can't go wrong with a Lab of any kind.

I am partial to GSDs though. Family friendly and loyal to a fault. They do tend to need a lot of attention and maintenance as well as a decent sized yard/run, but are great dogs that will be friends for life.

And honestly, you can't go wrong with heading down to your local pound and seeing what's available instead of going the purebred route.

Reactions: 7 people
Boxer. Boxer, boxer, boxer. Best dog in the world. High energy -- puppyhood lasts until about, oh, death. But they have more personality than any dog I have ever seen. Some people assume they're badasses because of their muscular build but they're absolute clowns that love their people all-in. They're very much indoor dogs as long as you're indoors as well, but they need to get out and burn up all that energy regularly. Just, whatever you do, don't crop their f***ing ears!

100% agree with this post

Agree with GV on both. I have/had several breeds. Lab, rotty, collie, husky(my fave), pom, sheltie, Doberman etc. Any dog raised in a loving home will be a good dog. So take a trip to your local animal shelter. Of the 5 dogs I have right now 3 are rescued and the love/partnership you will get from them is unparalleled. So please try that route first. If you want loyalty and willingness to go with you all anywhere and stay there... Gotta be a lab or a retriever. It will annoy you as a puppy, get into everything, and chew if you don't provide it toys. But, the partnership won't be matched by another breed.

Best dog ever. Lab/golden mix. Rescued from a car wash. He was abandoned.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_211752005.jpg
    IMG_20150207_211752005.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 7
Golden Retriever.

Hands down best family pet. They don't have an aggressive bone in their body. Great with kids and the elderly.

Reactions: 5 people
They sure do! We have a blue tick beagle

Attachments

• rockyatdaycare3.jpg
    rockyatdaycare3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2
I love miniature schnauzers. Have had them most of my life. Great little dogs. I have a bluetick as well. They need room to run.

I have a Mastiff and a Pit Bull. Mastiff's are awesome dogs but tend to be lazy. Some people also aren't prepared for their size. I love Pits too, I've had many breeds in the past but after getting my first Pit about a year ago I don't think I'll ever be without one.

Labs have become one of my favorite breeds. They're just happy all the time and actually pretty intelligent. I would suggest taking into consideration how your new dog might be around children should you and your wife decide to have any.

Me and my newlywed wife have decided we are ready to get our first dog. We live in Florida are pretty active and I do my fair amount of camping / hunting when i can get out. Obviously being a true vol4life I gravitate towards the bluetick.. Also looking at GSP as well... Would love some opinions on the breeds if you have any experience with either dogs.. Thanks!

I asked VN for dog advice 4 years ago and many urged me to adopt. It's the best advice I ever got. We love our dog to death. Yeah, it's a mut, but you can get the dog you want by adopting, you just have to wait. You can get on lists to adopt a blue tick and wait for a puppy if that's what you want. I think it makes the relationship more meaningful when you know you played a part in "saving" the dog.

Attachments

• laika tennis ball asleep.jpg
    laika tennis ball asleep.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I asked VN for dog advice 4 years ago and many urged me to adopt. It's the best advice I ever got. We love our dog to death. Yeah, it's a mut, but you can get the dog you want by adopting, you just have to wait. You can get on lists to adopt a blue tick and wait for a puppy if that's what you want. I think it makes the relationship more meaningful when you know you played a part in "saving" the dog.

I agree with this. Our Pit is a rescue. She has a special attachment to me. I've wondered if its because I'm the one that took her out of the cage and led her out of the rescue center. I have no idea if that's the case but she's been attached to me more than anyone else in my family since that day.

I agree with this. Our Pit is a rescue. She has a special attachment to me. I've wondered if its because I'm the one that took her out of the cage and led her out of the rescue center. I have no idea if that's the case but she's been attached to me more than anyone else in my family since that day.

I think animals know they've been saved. My family rescued a starving cat once and that cat was every bit as loyal as a dog. It didn't matter where she was, she always came when we called her and would try to go on walks with us. Animals are awesome.

My dog was actually a little timid around me at first and immediately took to my wife. I work from home so I get an extra 40 hours/week around my dog than the wife does, and I am now the dog's favorite.

It's funny how the relationship dynamics work out. I'm alpha and my dog is in love with me and seems to think my wife is her (our) child. We went to the lake and my dog didn't give a **** if I was out in the water, but she would freak out when the old lady did. Despite hating the water she would swim out to rescue her.

Adopt. Also, don't be scared of pitbulls. Mine is scardey cat who is mostly interested in how close she can get to me in before I roll over on her.

Adopt. Also, don't be scared of pitbulls. Mine is scardey cat who is mostly interested in how close she can get to me in before I roll over on her.

I see you're in Nashville. Did you go to the pit bull awareness day event at Centennial Park last weekend?

I was feeding my neighbor's pit while he was out of town. I had trouble getting in the house so I tried to lure it out of the doggy door and it was terrified of me, even though we had met on various occasions. LOL. It wasn't budging.

I just left some meat outside until I was able to get better instructions on entering the house.

VN Store

Back