New Alzheimer's Treatment Restores Memory Function

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
This is amazing. Non-invasive, seemingly safe, and revolutionary.

Kind of going a different direction with this, but I want opinions...if I post on FB about my wife and I (celebrating anniversary or whatever) it might get 100+ likes. When I post stuff like this, it gets < 10 likes. What is the deal with people? This is the most exciting news I've heard in a while and I can't understand why a post about it would get so little positive interaction? This isn't the first time I've noticed this.

Theories? Do we take science/medicine for granted? Do we not care because the threat of Alzheimer's is not an immediate threat for most? I really don't understand.

New Alzheimer?s treatment fully restores memory function - ScienceAlert

Reactions: 7 people
Human trials by 2017 in Australia. Anyone know long does it usually take to move to approved treatments and/or get regulatory approval in the States?

That would be awesome if it works.

Human trials by 2017 in Australia. Anyone know long does it usually take to move to approved treatments and/or get regulatory approval in the States?

The average FDA approval takes 10 years, I believe, but this seems like something they would expedite, considering how non-invasive it is, and how much it is needed.

because people are numb to "great" research studies. The overwhelming majority of these tend to produce nothing. Thus, people don't take notice.

This is a huge deal. Hope the results hold and progress is expedited.

I saw this on the news this morning. I'm gonna jump in line for it first time I have some kind of dementia, which is probably now - can't remember..

Reactions: 1 person
The average FDA approval takes 10 years, I believe, but this seems like something they would expedite, considering how non-invasive it is, and how much it is needed.

Nah, it'll take at least 10 ysars. They want all the "research money" they can get. That's why so many things go uncured. If a cure is found, the $$$ dries up.

Might be because a lot of those people haven't been affected by Alzheimer's and don't know how good this news could potentially be? Just my guess. My grandfather had it, it's such a sad thing to see someone, and their family, go through.

I will blast the FDA as much as anyone, but I don't agree with this. Plenty of drugs get expedited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FDA_Fast_Track_Development_Program

I'm sure drugs get expedited, but most of these testing places have extremely strict internal standards, while also having to attend the standards of the FDA. When my oldest son was working at ST. Jude looking for different ways to put together chemo treatments, the strict adherence to the standards made it very costly for St. Judes' research tower and more difficult to give un-qualified results. Hell, the standards set forth for just tattooing mice are ridiculous. The St Jude standards were tougher than the government standards.

I'm sure drugs get expedited, but most of these testing places have extremely strict internal standards, while also having to attend the standards of the FDA. When my oldest son was working at ST. Jude looking for different ways to put together chemo treatments, the strict adherence to the standards made it very costly for St. Judes' research tower and more difficult to give un-qualified results. Hell, the standards set forth for just tattooing mice are ridiculous. The St Jude standards were tougher than the government standards.

You are preaching to the choir on this one. I don't think the FDA should have the power to ban anything. It's great that the FDA can give a drug/treatment their seal of approval, but the fact that people die because they can't legally try new drugs is complete lunacy (and because of this, I think the FDA does more harm than good). I'd rather not have an FDA than have an FDA that kills people by denying them life-saving drugs.

My mother has Alzheimer's. She's right at the point of no return I'm afraid. I would mortgage my home if I could get her over there for the trials.

Clinical trials in Alzheimer's which attempt to slow the progression of the disease need to be quite long
(Min of 2 yrs). They also need to be very large ( more than 2000 subjects ). The latest thinking in Alz is that you need to treat before symptoms are evident. Once symptoms show up, it is proving very difficult to slow the progression of disease.

I hope this development makes it but the odds are long. So many drugs which looked promising in rodents have just not panned out in humans.

Might be because a lot of those people haven't been affected by Alzheimer's and don't know how good this news could potentially be? Just my guess. My grandfather had it, it's such a sad thing to see someone, and their family, go through.

Or because those with affected family have seen how these proclamations produce nothing. Everytime.

This is about the 5th time I've seen a "new breakthrough in Alzheimer's treatment"

Seems promising, but there are huge hoops to go through when you're dealing with genetically mutated lab mice brains vs human brains (obviously)

I have heard some theories on Alzheimer's particularly in how it relates to diet. Some have recently even theorized that Alzheimer's is actually "Type 3 diabetes". As time goes on the "Type 3" diabetes theory (originally introduced a few years back) keeps gaining more and more traction in scientific circles. Really interesting stuff. Terrible disease.

This is amazing. Non-invasive, seemingly safe, and revolutionary.

Kind of going a different direction with this, but I want opinions...if I post on FB about my wife and I (celebrating anniversary or whatever) it might get 100+ likes. When I post stuff like this, it gets < 10 likes. What is the deal with people? This is the most exciting news I've heard in a while and I can't understand why a post about it would get so little positive interaction? This isn't the first time I've noticed this.

Theories? Do we take science/medicine for granted? Do we not care because the threat of Alzheimer's is not an immediate threat for most? I really don't understand.

New Alzheimer?s treatment fully restores memory function - ScienceAlert

I wish they would/could fast track this. Look at all the useless supplements on the market with obviously false claims. Not regulated by the FDA at all. Perhaps, they should consider this approach.

I wish they would/could fast track this. Look at all the useless supplements on the market with obviously false claims. Not regulated by the FDA at all. Perhaps, they should consider this approach.

Well I mean if it's successful early then there are strong chances that this would become available immediately in places like Mexico and India

The FDA is in bed with too many big pharmaceutical companies for it to be fast-tracked to the US. I know time is of the essence with the sort of necrosis it brings on to brain tissue but I'm not sure I have much faith in our current FDA. They tend to fight the really important drugs and let pharma companies go berserk on product inflation for the really life-saving ones. History speaks for itself. It makes me sick how backwards it is.

Then again, I also understand the need to have at least a minimum 2-year window to research the possible side effects and the long-term effects of prolonged UV brain treatments and such :)

BTW this was announced back in the summer and they have been working on this particular treatment in mice since 2011. so the work is being done.

VN Store

Back