Where to buy gator in Knoxville

Odiodin

Hello guys,

I'm looking to acquire some gator meat for the smoker next week. Any pointers to where I might acquire some in West/North Knoxville would be awesome.

I know I can't be the only one around here doing this :)

There is also a Shrimp Dock in Farragut. That's the place to go.

Suggestion: tenderize it with a mallet, marinate in buttermilk the night before, and fry it. Don't overcook. I've tried cooking it many other ways, and nothing worked well. It has a bit of a taste to it, so I'd recommend a strong sauce (I last used a ghost pepper remoulade) on the side.

Yeah, the Shrimp Dock seems about the only place you're going to get it. I called around to several other places just to see, a couple of them said they could order it for you but they weren't going to stock it.

Hello guys,

I'm looking to acquire some gator meat for the smoker next week. Any pointers to where I might acquire some in West/North Knoxville would be awesome.

I know I can't be the only one around here doing this :)

The Food city in halls sales it. They keep it year round they told me but order more than usual the Florida game week.

There is also a Shrimp Dock in Farragut. That's the place to go.

Suggestion: tenderize it with a mallet, marinate in buttermilk the night before, and fry it. Don't overcook. I've tried cooking it many other ways, and nothing worked well. It has a bit of a taste to it, so I'd recommend a strong sauce (I last used a ghost pepper remoulade) on the side.

I've never heard of marinating in buttermilk, that's interesting! I've never cooked it myself, but we have one store in Helen that carries it.

I've never heard of marinating in buttermilk, that's interesting! I've never cooked it myself, but we have one store in Helen that carries it.

A lot of people soak/brine/marinate chicken in buttermilk before frying. The combination of acids, enzymes and calcium penetrate into the meat to actually tenderize and flavor it. Some people soak/brine/marinate in yogurt for the same reason.

Reactions: 1 person

I've heard from more than one hunter that when they cut their meats for cooking, they marinate in buttermilk. They swear it takes the gaminess out of the meat. I couldn't tell you myself, because I'm not a hunter, but they do seem to swear by it.

Marinate in 3 cups of milk with one cup of lemon juice/lime/ orange anything acidic, I've had better luck battering in wet batter than dry cornmeal/flour mix
Keep the sodium down, I've had some good gator meat and bad meat, the more fat the better, marinate night before (as some chili powder or Cajun seasoning) do not over cook it will be like chewing on leather. Good luck!

Marinate in 3 cups of milk with one cup of lemon juice/lime/ orange anything acidic, I've had better luck battering in wet batter than dry cornmeal/flour mix
Keep the sodium down, I've had some good gator meat and bad meat, the more fat the better, marinate night before (as some chili powder or Cajun seasoning) do not over cook it will be like chewing on leather. Good luck!

Milk + acid (citrus or vinegar) = buttermilk in a pinch. Works for pancakes, too!

A lot of people soak/brine/marinate chicken in buttermilk before frying. The combination of acids, enzymes and calcium penetrate into the meat to actually tenderize and flavor it. Some people soak/brine/marinate in yogurt for the same reason.

Cool, I will have to try that.

I've heard from more than one hunter that when they cut their meats for cooking, they marinate in buttermilk. They swear it takes the gaminess out of the meat. I couldn't tell you myself, because I'm not a hunter, but they do seem to swear by it.

I've never heard that, I will have to test it out.

Got my gator last night at Food City.

Was it salty?

Not at all. Soaked it in buttermilk for a couple hours and then cut it in bite sized nuggets, rolled it in a flour mix and deep fried them 2 to 4 minutes. Mixed avocado ranch and hot sauce together to dip them in. Was delicious!

The key is cutting in bite sized nuggets. Gator doesn't bite with the front teeth like chicken.

VN Store

Back