Anyone live near DC

SDV

We are heading to DC from 10/3 to 10/6. Suggestions on things to do and see? Good restaurants/bars.

We are trying to tour White House on 10/3 and Capitol on 10/5.

Going to U of MD vs Michigan game on 10/3 at night.

Supreme Court on 10/6 to watch oral argument and get sworn in.

We are staying at Embassy Suites Convention Center

Any tips are much obliged.

We are heading to DC from 10/3 to 10/6. Suggestions on things to do and see? Good restaurants/bars.

Tell Barry we said hey.

When I went to DC my two favorite things to explore were the Holocaust Museum and the National Cathedral. The National Cathedral was mind blowing.

I love the Smithsoinians

Reactions: 2 people
Live an hour south of DC. You should walk around all the monuments and go to Arlington National Cemetery. The Marine Corps Memorial is awesome to see. The Nationals and Orioles usually have reasonable prices on tickets as well. The National Harbor has some nice things to see with a huge ferris wheel. Traffic is always steady so don't let that bother you either.

As you leave, stop by Virginia Beach and say hi to the hookers for me.

But don't talk to Stacy. She's the cute one with the Adam's apple, and she's spoken for!

Live an hour south of DC. You should walk around all the monuments and go to Arlington National Cemetery. The Marine Corps Memorial is awesome to see. The Nationals and Orioles usually have reasonable prices on tickets as well. The National Harbor has some nice things to see with a huge ferris wheel. Traffic is always steady so don't let that bother you either.

Thanks. Definitely want to see Arlington. Unfortunately we only have 2 days to sight see, so have to narrow it down.

I think the O's play the Yankees on the last day of the season that monday

and Redskins are at home on Sunday

Thanks. Definitely want to see Arlington. Unfortunately we only have 2 days to sight see, so have to narrow it down.

I think the O's play the Yankees on the last day of the season that monday

and Redskins are at home on Sunday

Go to Camden Yards if you can. Beautiful ballpark.

Try and make time to go to Arlington. Changing of the guard, while hot, is well worth it as well.

We only stopped for an afternoon a couple summers ago. Trying to plan a trip back, we loved it.

Haven't lived there in over a decade but you can't go wrong with Arlington or the Air and Space museum. Alexandria had nice little shops when I lived there. Also, I am obviously not up on current restaurants but please try to find an Argentinian place and enjoy the best chicken ever. Should be easy to find.

Haven't lived there in over a decade but you can't go wrong with Arlington or the Air and Space museum. Alexandria had nice little shops when I lived there. Also, I am obviously not up on current restaurants but please try to find an Argentinian place and enjoy the best chicken ever. Should be easy to find.

Air & Space and Natural History are my favorite museums up there. Arlington is quite a sight also.

Reactions: 1 person
Old town Alexandria has a bunch of great restaurants. Pick any Smithsonian to spend a few hours of the spy museum. Old post office lets you go to the top for the best view of dc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna try and soak up as much as I can while I am there

Make sure you do the happy hour at the ES for the free drinks and snacks. You'll be walking a lot in DC so relaxing is nice.

Preorder you and your wife a couple SmarTrip cards for the metro. It's cheaper that way and much easier to keep up with than the paper tickets. Metro is the easiest way to get around, I love how DC's is set up.

A few good suggestions:

If you want a quiet lunch with a good burger and beer, hit up Lindy's Red Lion. It's on penn avenue down towards GWU. Hole in the wall spot, but I love it.

I'm also partial to the Matchbox in Chinatown-Gallery Place for wood fired pizza. Get the prosciutto. Right next to the Verizon Center.

And on my last trip we chose The Founding Farmers for our nice dinner and damn if it wasn't fantastic. Also on Pennsylvania I believe but just a couple blocks from Lindy's. I had the Prime Rib. Order the kettle corn as an appetizer.

Attractions:

The two musts for me are Arlington National Cemetery and the Holocaust Memorial Museum. At ANC get out and walk around if you decide to take the tram tour. You'll regret it if you just hit the highlights. Really go and soak it in and let it hit you all the sacrifices those men and women made. Changing of the guard is unlike anything I've ever seen.

There's a neat lawn in from of the White House that my girlfriend and I laid out on. She read and I people watched. It's a great view though.

I recommend doing the memorials at night. Lincoln will just blow your mind with its size. Korean and Vietnam just have a different feel at night to me.

It takes weeks to see everything DC has to offer, but pick out what is most important to you and enjoy it. Take some bottled water. It's a hot city with lots of walking and vendors will bend you over.

VN Store

Back