The remains of Tennessee Hero Lt. Alexander Bonnyman Have Been Found

OneManGang

I got an email from the Alexander Bonnyman Detachment of the Marine Corps League (of which I am a proud Associate Member) that Lt. Alexander "Sandy" Bonnyman's remains have been found and positively identified through dental records.

TARAWA-63458-595x461.jpg

Lt. Bonnyman (just right of center) leads his team up the large bombproof on Betio Atoll 22 November 1943.
(US Marine Corps)

Citation
First Lieutenant Alexander Bonnyman, Jr.
United States Marine Corps Reserve

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Executive Officer of the Second Battalion Shore Party, Eighth Marines, Second Marine Division, during the assault against enemy Japanese-held Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands, from 20 to 22 November 1943. Acting on his own initiative when assault troops were pinned down at the far end of Betio Pier by the overwhelming fire of Japanese shore batteries, First Lieutenant Bonny man repeatedly defied the blasting fury of the enemy bombardment to organize and lead the besieged men over the long, open pier to the beach and then, voluntarily obtaining flame throwers and demolitions, organized his pioneer shore party into assault demolitions and directed the blowing of several hostile installations before the close of D-Day. Determined to effect an opening in the enemy’s strongly organized defense line the following day, he voluntarily crawled approximately forty yards forward of our lines and placed demolitions in the entrance of a large Japanese emplacement as the initial move in his planned attack against the heavily garrisoned, bombproof installation which was stubbornly resisting despite the destruction in the action of a large number of Japanese who had been inflicting heavy casualties on our forces and holding up our advance. Withdrawing only to replenish his ammunition, he led his men in a renewed assault, fearlessly exposing himself to the merciless slash of the hostile fire as he stormed the formidable bastion, directed the placement of demolition charges in both entrances and seized the top of the bombproof position, flushing more than one hundred of the enemy, who were instantly cut down and effecting the annihilation of approximately one hundred and fifty troops inside the emplacement. Assailed by additional Japanese after he had gained his objective, he made a heroic stand on the edge of the structure, defending his strategic position with indomitable determination in the face of the desperate charge and killing three of the enemy, before he fell, mortally wounded. By his dauntless fighting spirit, unrelenting aggressiveness and forceful leadership throughout three days of unremitting, violent battle, First Lieutenant Bonnyman had inspired his men to heroic effort, enabling them to beat off the counterattack and break the back of hostile resistance in the sector for an immediate gain of four hundred yards with no further casualties to our forces in this zone. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Harry S. Truman
President of the United States

According to Bonnyman's daughter, who now lives in Hawaii, his remains will be returned to Knoxville for burial.

"He gallantly gave his life for his country."
No higher praise is possible.

Bonnyman was exempt from military service in WWII, as he had been in the Army in the 1930s and was president of a copper mining company in Arizona. The copper industry was rated as an "essential war industry" and workers and executives in it were automatically exempt. Bonnyman enlisted in the Corps as a Private and later went To OCS and led an Engineer Company in combat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
According to the email, Lt. Bonnyman is going to be brought back to Knoxville for burial.

UPDATE:

I received an email from the Commandant of our MCL detachment. He has been in contact with Clay Bonnyman Evans (Lt. Bonnyman's grandson) and that the family intends to bring him home the weekend of 26-27 September.

The current plan is for a graveside service on the 27th.

Clay Evans was a part of the team that excavated the grave on Betio. He is featured in an article in the Washington Post: ‘Golden’ ending: How one man discovered his war hero grandfather’s long lost grave - The Washington Post

For two weeks, Evans, Baker, Noah and others dug for bodies. They found more than a dozen of them. Each time, Baker would check the teeth for Bonnyman’s distinctive gold fillings — the benefit of being a bit older and a touch wealthier than his fellow Marines. But no luck.

Finally, on May 28, Baker was inspecting body No. 16 when she spotted another skeleton barely a foot away. She carefully scraped away the sand from around the skull. Then she began to brush clean the century-old teeth.

That’s when she spotted the gold.

When Evans heard the word, he dropped his camera in shock.

“I definitely had tears in my eyes thinking about my great grandparents, who lost their son, and my mom and my aunt, who lost their father,” he said.

The mystery was over, but the story wasn’t complete.

Evans helped Baker finish excavating body No. 16. The next day, May 29, they spent hunched over Sandy Bonnyman’s bones. It wasn’t until May 30 that Evans could properly reflect on the achievement. He went for a morning run, and then he did something that surprised even himself.

He climbed into his grandpa’s grave.

“After I got done with my run, I went back to that grave and I sat there and I did my meditation there,” he said. “That’s when I allowed myself to have more feelings. I went back and sat right on that sand where he had been resting for the last 71 and a half years. It was pretty powerful for me.”
Of course, I will post more info as I receive it.

Attachments

• Bonnyman_A.jpg
    Bonnyman_A.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
This past weekend, 28 September 2015, Lt. Bonnyman completed his journey home.

Video of the ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrtCPY3LZI

I was privileged to spend Saturday evening with the men and women of History Flight who are the people who found Lt. Alexander Bonnyman's remains on Betio earlier this year.

Great people literally doing a great service for our heroes who never came home and their families.

Quote of the evening, "A lot of times we don't know who or what we've found. We don't know if they are Japanese or American. We treat them all with respect and make every effort to identify them and return them to their families."
- Mark Noah, President, History Flight.

History Flight :: Vintage Warbird Flights and MIA Research

VN Store

Back