Killing/preventing weeds?

Coug

My sister had her backyard re-landscaped back in the fall. On either side of her yard they built these berms. The idea was to top the berms with a layer of pine mulch for looks and to control weeds. They didn't initially put enough pine mulch down so she had another 3 inches added to the berms in early June. The problem is that with this unusually wet spring/summer we're having combined with the half approached initial treatment of the berms the weeds are simply relentless. I spread preen all over the berms back in early May. Since then the berms have been sprayed successfully with weed killer over 3 times. It's now needing a 4th spray. I've read online that at a certain point you shouldn't need actual weed block material if you're using pine mulch because the pine mulch acts as it's own weed block. I'm looking for advice on what to do to help control the weeds better. Her backyard gets a lot of sun so I think that's aiding in growth.

Preen and Round-Up Extended control have been used.

You need to put umderneath the pine a black barrier that looks like silt fence to prevent weeds from growing.

You can use boiling water to kill weeds.

You need to put umderneath the pine a black barrier that looks like silt fence to prevent weeds from growing.

You can use boiling water to kill weeds.

The idea was to avoid having to put down synthetic weed block but it's seriously on the 'maybe' list now.

You literally couldn't boil enough water. These are long berms(50' L x 6' W x 3 1/2' H roughly).

Here is a pic of one of the berms. This is an old pic when it was unfinished.
berms.jpg

They have pine mulch on the berms now with sod on the flat surface.

Give me a minute and ill tell you.

Real quick though. Don't waste money on plastic barrier.

So this is for the berms only? Not weed control in the lawn correct?

2-4-D Amine and I would kick a landscapers ass for doing that to my yard.

2-4-D Amine and I would kick a landscapers ass for doing that to my yard.

That only eliminates broadleafs. Only last that application. (Ideal for lawn)

Also Esther is better than amine

If he's looking for total vegetation control then he needs parrimatol. Good for one year. One application. Not very expensive. (Ideal for flower beds)

Shampoo the area first, then put down the chems. Always follow Jerry's advice...

http://www.jerrybaker.net/garden/information/TipsAndTonicsHP.aspx

Q: I pull weeds till I'm blue in the face, and they always come back. How can I eliminate them?

A: The most basic requirement for weed control is proper lawn maintenance. Thick grass actually crowds out weeds! So make sure that you're mowing your lawn properly, and that there is good soil and adequate fertilization. If you're still having problems, then you've got to haul out the heavy artillery - chemical controls. Be sure to always purchase weed killers that are labeled specifically for the type of lawn that you have. For best control, shampoo your lawn first with 1 cup of dishwashing liquid in your 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, and then apply the control at the recommended rate. Next year, before weeds pop-up, apply my Preemergent Weed Control Tonic: 1 cup of dishwashing liquid, 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, and 2 tbsp. of instant tea granules in a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the balance of the sprayer jar with water. Then follow up with a commercial preemergent type control to help prevent weed seeds from sprouting

So this is for the berms only? Not weed control in the lawn correct?

Yes, berms only.

That only eliminates broadleafs. Only last that application. (Ideal for lawn)

Also Esther is better than amine

If he's looking for total vegetation control then he needs parrimatol. Good for one year. One application. Not very expensive. (Ideal for flower beds)

I'm reading online that Ester 24d is broadleaf and Bermuda grass only.

I gave up on mulch. I bought weed preventer fabric from sams, and topped it with pine straw. Not had a single problem since. I buy 100 bales a year and haven't needed to preen or roundup in 3 years.

Last edited:
I gave up on mulch. I bought weed preventer fabric from sams, and topped it with pine straw. Not had a dimples problem since. I buy 100 bales a year and haven't needed to preen or roundup in 3 years.

Pine is full of acid. This is what help controls your weeds. And it's great for azaleas.
And fabric is a waste of money.

Fabric is the best money I've ever spent on my lawn. Thanks for the input though.

If you had fabric down with mulch, you would still have weeds. The pine needles are killing the weeds from high acid levels. Not being argumentive, but I've been in business a long time. Just wanted to throw my .10 cents in.
(Adjusted for inflation)

Stay away from mulch, especially around the house. It draws in the termites. Pine needles works and looks great.

Stay away from mulch, especially around the house. It draws in the termites. Pine needles works and looks great.

True but cedar mulch will actually repel insects. Including termites and other insects.

If you had fabric down with mulch, you would still have weeds. The pine needles are killing the weeds from high acid levels. Not being argumentive, but I've been in business a long time. Just wanted to throw my .10 cents in.
(Adjusted for inflation)

I've been in the business. (its been a while though)

Pine straw on top of mulch still gets weeds. Fabric on top of mulch, straw on top of fabric produces zero weeds. Plus acid still gets to flowering shrubs and trees.

I've been in the business. (its been a while though)

Pine straw on top of mulch still gets weeds. Fabric on top of mulch, straw on top of fabric produces zero weeds. Plus acid still gets to flowering shrubs and trees.

All I'm saying is that if you didn't have pine needles down you would have weeds. The seeds will still germinate.

That mulch under the fabric will be great compost one day. Good job on that.

Reactions: 1 person
Coug
If she's never going to grow anything there put salt down
It will take all the moisture out and keep the weeds from growing

VN Store

Back