Moving to East TN-Need help please

hmmhoyhoy

Need help from anyone with knowledge about East TN. Orig from Memphis and Jackson but now living in Denver. Getting pretty close to moving back to TN, either Tri cities area or Knox. I am looking for advice on areas to avoid in the Tri cities and Knox and also can you gus tell me if 16/hr is going to go anywhere out there? Im transferring from Denver and would be taking a huge pay cut. I have a family and obviously providing for them is the most important thing. Thanks for all the help guys

tri cities would be a little better than knox to live on @16hr, depending on what kinda area your wanting to live in and commute time to work and stores. Try looking at local papers online to get better idea of area suck as knoxnews and jcpress

Last edited:
Probably make more in Knoxville. I'm ignorant about the tri cities. I know I love it here in K Town.

Probably more to do too.

Thats where it becomes more a question of where the money goes further because I would make the same amount in either gray or knox

I'm born and raised in East Tennessee-Elizabethton, currently living on the Space Coast of Florida. Johnson City, Bristol or Kingsport might be your best bet in the Tri-cities area. You might want to check the Johnson City Press Chronicle for jobs. You can find it on line. Being raised in the Tri-cities, Johnson City might be the best. Check out home prices too and see what the current wage rates are on line in the area. You should get a general idea of what the wages are for various jobs. Home prices and wage rates are a little higher in the Knoxville area.
Just an opinion, but it's your call as to where you want to live. Lots of outdoor activities in the area year round.

For school districts for kids, your best bets are Johnson City/Washington County, Maryville/Blount Co., and Oak Ridge, not necessarily in that order. Good luck.

You will want Knox over Tr-Cities. Just stay off of Magnolia except when you go to Chandler's during the day.

Gray is pretty dull but housing is cheap and you are between Johnson City and Kingsport so either direction and you are in civilization within 10 min. $16/hr will go pretty far there.

If you are into city life Knoxville is the better option. If you are into out doors activites Tri-Cities is better.

Reactions: 1 person
Knoxville can be a safe, and fun experience as long as you use common sense.

First and foremost, I recommend carrying a handgun at all times.

Secondly, avoid the poorer areas, such as the South Knoxville, East Knoxville, and parts of North Knoxville.

Also avoid the Fort Sanders area, there was a murder there in October.

Remember, when in the "safe" areas of Knoxville, always run, don't walk. As we say in Knoxville, "Walkers are victims in waiting."

Remember that, and you will be safe.

Helpful stuff!

As mentioned, it depends on what you want. Plenty of good golf for cheap, plenty of fishing, mountain scenery and just all sorts of outdoors stuff to do. You're also only 100 miles from Knoxville in Gray and it's all interstate to get there. The Tri Cities is growing like a weed because it's one of the cheapest places in the country to live. So to answer the question you've made like five times without getting an answer, you'll take $16/hr much further in Gray than you will in Knoxville. Plenty of shopping and restaurants in Johnson City or Kingsport and if that isn't enough, Exit 7 of Bristol, VA has tons more and is maybe 30 minutes away.

Knoxville is Knoxville though. Plenty of night life, the Vols and even more shopping and restaurants. Lots more people and lots more urban sprawl. It's your call.

gray is being annexed by city of johnson city urban growth plan and many people are not happy with it so could get a better deal on houses in that area.

VN Store

Back