tropical fish

Nope, sorry. My daughter got a small fishtank for her birthday. I wanted to kill those fish after having to clean the tank so much.

They J&^%$%#890 me off. Not to sound like an a-hole or anything. I just don't have desire. Fish are cool though.

(USAF_Vol @ Aug 3 said:
Nope, sorry. My daughter got a small fishtank for her birthday. I wanted to kill those fish after having to clean the tank so much.

They J&^%$%#890 me off. Not to sound like an a-hole or anything. I just don't have desire. Fish are cool though.
You're a cop... you always sound like an a-hole. :biggrin2: :dance2:

I used to have an Albino oscar that had orange markings. I named him Smokey. I could hold food on my finger outside the tank, and he would jump out of the water and take it.

One day a friend came in and pointed his finger by the fishtank, and Smokey jumped out of the tank and fell to his death going after my friends finger. True story.

(Lexvol @ Aug 3 said:
I used to have an Albino oscar that had orange markings. I named him Smokey. I could hold food on my finger outside the tank, and he would jump out of the water and take it.

One day a friend came in and pointed his finger by the fishtank, and Smokey jumped out of the tank and fell to his death going after my friends finger. True story.

All we had was stupid goldfish. That makes fish more interesting. Oscar. They rule

We have one of those fighting fish. No filters, no aerators, change the water about every 10 days or so. My kinda fish...low maintenance.

(kiddiedoc @ Aug 4 said:
90 gallon African Cichlid tank in my office.
sweet i keep central and south american cichlids 125 gallon and 75 gallon in my bedroom both decorated with orange and white gravel and orange plants.african cichlids are very attractive

I have the world's largest jellyfish. I even swim with it.

Attachments

• Big_Jellyfish.jpg
    Big_Jellyfish.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2
I got a 60 gallon, can't decide if I wanna do african cichlids or south america, no, not racist.

I don't keep fish but my son had two tanks when he lived off campus during college. One was for the africans (which I didn't understand because they all looked different) and the other for some kind of tiny sharks(?), and then fighting fish.

Anyway the tanks were awesome looking and having two let him do more things.

He was a microbiology major and made a big deal out of using the right filters. Make sure you get the multi stage that can actually remove bacteria as well as crud and algae. Evidently some models of tank filters only have reusable rinseable spongelike medium and they are a source of sick or dead fish after a few "cleanings". I guess he learned that the hard way.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't keep fish but my son had two tanks when he lived off campus during college. One was for the africans (which I didn't understand because they all looked different) and the other for some kind of tiny sharks(?), and then fighting fish.

Anyway the tanks were awesome looking and having two let him do more things.

He was a microbiology major and made a big deal out of using the right filters. Make sure you get the multi stage that can actually remove bacteria as well as crud and algae. Evidently some models of tank filters only have reusable rinseable spongelike medium and they are a source of sick or dead fish after a few "cleanings". I guess he learned that the hard way.
thanks, I got a canister filter running, might do a hang on the back one.. Not sure.. I had saltwater twice, both ended cause of something stupid that was outta my control. Lost thousands of dollars. Some I'm going the cichlid route. Just a pretty, less expensive.. I think africans look the nicest, but are mean. South American are the just the opposite

thanks, I got a canister filter running, might do a hang on the back one.. Not sure.. I had saltwater twice, both ended cause of something stupid that was outta my control. Lost thousands of dollars. Some I'm going the cichlid route. Just a pretty, less expensive.. I think africans look the nicest, but are mean. South American are the just the opposite

The key to a good fish tank are beneficial bacteria that live in the filter media. I can't remember the proper way to get them started, but a Google search will fill in the blanks. I have a tank with some very expensive Discus fish and have a canister filter and a couple of sponge filters.

Once everything got started and I got my fish, everything has been clicking along for several years without much of anything on my part other that water changes once or twice weekly.

Change water religiously if want your fish to live multiple years. Most people lose interest after a year or two and the fish get sick and die.

I have some senior fish and to be honest I can't wait for them to kick the bucket.

Reactions: 1 person
I would do a water change once a month with saltwater.. Once or twice a week sounds like a lot.

VN Store

Back